R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:48 AM
humcmcel
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nuts on the sun roof. go rag top

Old 01-18-2007, 05:49 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 70spop
Another nice thing is that I only have to wax a 7 inch strip around the edge of the roof.
I like this ...and the reply about the bird poop. Two of the best reasons yet !

dean.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Zman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resale value?

Originally Posted by jjtricket
Resale value is greatly improved with a sunroof!
don't agree. i have ordered and sold three bmws without sunroofs for the headroom primarily, cost savigns, weight savings, and ease of waxign the roof. havn't had any trouble with re-sale value.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Scotti280
2nd Gear
I have a sunroof in my 2006 Mini Cooper S and I love it especially when driving up in the mountains....next to a convertable it helps the beautiful view. No problems w/it yet. Besides if I could go any faster I'd just probably get a speeding ticket.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:17 AM
glangford
6th Gear
In my soon to arrive 2007, I originally was going to go sunroof, then didn't. I have an Accord with sunroof, and I might use it 5-10 times a year. What I didn't like about the mini sunroof is you can never block it out. I has a perforated sunshade, but you'll always have light flitering in whether or not you want it. In my accord I at least have a pull shade that totally blocks out the light when not desired. I went without sunroof, and glad I did.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:10 AM
72guy
2nd Gear
Just bought my wife a 2004 Electric Blue S. Didn't consider anything without a sunroof. Some of us race and I can understand the solid roof decision. For the majority of us, the MINI is a FUN car. Sunroof shouts FUN. FWIW
Regards

Old 01-21-2007, 02:50 AM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
In my soon to arrive 2007, I originally was going to go sunroof, then didn't. I have an Accord with sunroof, and I might use it 5-10 times a year. What I didn't like about the mini sunroof is you can never block it out. I has a perforated sunshade, but you'll always have light flitering in whether or not you want it. In my accord I at least have a pull shade that totally blocks out the light when not desired. I went without sunroof, and glad I did.
I agree, I wish there was a solid shade instead of perferation. But the work around is a hat in the summer when it is most bothersome to have all that extra glare coming into the roof.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:56 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Here's an advantage of a sunroof that I don't remember seeing mentioned:

As you approach the car, if it is programmed this way, you can automatically open the windows and roof with the push button on the key before entering the car. Heat rises, and the car cools down considerably before you get in.

Zip

Old 01-22-2007, 05:22 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey--just in from the engineers in Germany--the sunroof weighs 51.9 LBS. I've got a great MA, eh?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:18 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
i just like how the back panel tilts in the r56, i still have no regrets not getting the S/R in my r53, but i just think something so minor as havign the back panel tilt is cool enough for me to want to spring for the S/R in the r56

Old 01-22-2007, 11:04 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by redrocket
i just like how the back panel tilts in the r56, i still have no regrets not getting the S/R in my r53, but i just think something so minor as havign the back panel tilt is cool enough for me to want to spring for the S/R in the r56
Wouldn't it be kinda cool if the rear section automatically tilted up at 60mph, like all the auto-spoiler cars do?

Old 01-23-2007, 12:25 PM
sixblade
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 70spop
Wouldn't it be kinda cool if the rear section automatically tilted up at 60mph, like all the auto-spoiler cars do?

Oh good idea! so the cops know when you speed!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:55 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sixblade
Oh good idea! so the cops know when you speed!
LOL! Um.... yeah.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:36 PM
TerryD
4th Gear
Daffodildeb
Re: "Hey--just in from the engineers in Germany--the sunroof weighs 51.9 LBS. I've got a great MA, eh? "

Is that a net weight? Is there a deduction for the roof section that is replaced by the sun roof? I still think it is worth some extra weight. Jan 28th and mine was open today.
Terry

Old 01-28-2007, 06:11 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My understanding is that it's a net weight.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
On the new models, what are the different positions the sunroof(S?) can be in? I know there's 2, and I understand they tilt independantly of each other, How do they open? How far do they open? The pictures I've seen don't make it easy for me to visualize how the glass slides open to open the top up more than a crack.

thanks in advance!

Old 01-29-2007, 05:03 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
i'm debating 'cuz i'm in the market for a used r53 and there're a few good canditates that have all the options i want (namely, lsd) but no sunroof. but it sounds like there aren't that many issures w/ the sunroof so i still want it...which makes it harder still for me to make decisions

Old 01-29-2007, 05:04 PM
ThatsHot
2nd Gear
I was considering not getting the sunroof in favor of the MINI decal on the roof, but I think I'd enjoy the sunroof more...

Old 02-06-2007, 06:14 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
I'm surprised the concensus has been that the r50/53 sunroofs are so trouble free. It is not nearly as good of a sunroof as say a BMW one. The reason the headroom has remained is because the sunroof is a pop up and slide back type instead of a slide into the roof type (obviously).

What this also translates into is wind hitting the large sunroof that has been popped up into the air, the noise is nearly unbearable on the highway. This makes a wind deflector a very nice option. The sunroofs on my BMWs were always almost silent on the highway, making 75-80mph cruise comfortable and almost surreal. It is not even close to that in the MINI.

Both of my Cooper Ss an 03 and now an 06 have the sunroof and all 5 of the BMWs I have had always had sunroofs. If I order a new MINI it will almost definitely not have the sunroof. The roofs in both of mine squeeked and rattled. I distinctly remember getting very angry and POUNDING on the roof of my 03 trying to make it stop. Also, my 06 has had a wind whistle since new (noticed it at 35 miles on the drive home from the dealer) that has not been fixable which becomes extrememly annoying on a long highway drive with the roof closed.

One last thing I would consider after being in a rollover accident recently in another car, I don't think I would want a big hole that shattered out in the event of an accident.

I should also mention that I am super sensitive to noises like the hum a TV makes when the volume is off, flourescent lights, etc.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered my R56 without. I sort of like sun roofs and have them in most of the cars I've owned. But I find that I'm using them less now. Not sure why, but I don't. I plan on some autox and track days, so that was a reason to omit the sunroof. Weight up high is the worst thing to have. And if you are wearing a safety helmet, head room is already decreased.

If I want more sky I'll get an MR2 Spyder or Miata. If you like a sun roof, you will love a roadster!

waiting sucks,

Joe

Old 02-06-2007, 08:59 PM
GrFa
4th Gear
Exactly, keep a roadster around for those fresh air times. Plus, you could probably pick up a running and driving roadster of some sort for the $850 a sunroof costs.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:09 AM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GrFa
Exactly, keep a roadster around for those fresh air times. Plus, you could probably pick up a running and driving roadster of some sort for the $850 a sunroof costs.
Not all of us have the luxury of keeping an extra car for sunny days.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:22 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GrFa
And of course that $850 roadster would be just as trouble-free as the sunroof, right?

I've had two MINI sunroofs over the past 4.5 years, and the only problem (with the first one) was a rattle that came from the pop-up plastic wind deflector things, which were rattling against the frame when the roof was closed. This was solved in two minutes by affixing some adhesive felt to the flaps.

I personally can't imagine my car without the sunroof. It significantly adds to my enjoyment of the car every single day, even when it's ten degrees outside. It's nice to have some extra light in the winter when it's so cold. It's not a big deal to me that I can't use it on the highway because of the noise; I probably wouldn't anyway, due to the decrease in fuel economy.

It may not be as good as a BMW sunroof, but it's not a Cavalier sunroof, either...

Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 AM
GrFa
4th Gear
This keeps making me feel like I got lemon sunroofs in both my MINIs which is also a possibility. Its okay, I'll keep shoving it at the dealer.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:50 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Mine just came down to cost, either get a Cooper with a sunroof and other jazz, or get a Cooper S with not to much jazz----and i went with the cooper S!!!

Quick Reply: R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof ...