R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI holding 2007 Coopers at the US Ports?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:45 PM
rsb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini holding 2007 Coopers at the US Ports?

I heard a rumor that Mini is holding 2007 Coopers at the US ports and not releasing them to the dealers and customers right away as they are planning for a simultaneous Feb 17 release in the US. If this is true, it doesn't seem to be fair on the customers who have been waiting for a long time to enjoy the 2007 Coopers. Does anyone have any info on this?

Old 01-15-2007, 04:10 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
I understand that is the case. Fair has very little to do with it unfortunately. The truth is that every car company picks a day for their "release" and this is the date MINI picked. I don't know why it is as late as it is -- seems like a late launch to me - but I'm use to future year cars launching in the third quarter so I might be biased.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:45 PM
rsb
1st Gear
Perhaps complaining to Mini USA will help

I guess all I can do is email Mini and complain. If enough people complain to them, I won't be surprised if they release the cars sooner. Afterall, cars sitting in the port for 4-6 weeks isn't making any money for Mini either. I fear that this hold-up is to try to sell some of the 06 models because I can't imagine many people will want to buy them once the 07 models are available.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 PM
vader
4th Gear
Seems fair to me. No one ever stated or implied or even speculated that I would get my R56 prior to Feb 17th. The rumor that I heard was that it was because some dealers proved that they can't be trusted to hold the cars until the official release so MINI is taking control of the situation.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Don't count on complaining doing any good.

The media is going to get a "launch" event in early February. Then the dealers go to check out the car in the second week of February. Finally, the cars are released on the 17th. The whole thing is already planned.

This is almost exactly what happened in 2002 when the car was introduced. So don't expect any changes this time around.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:57 PM
sixblade
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rsb
I guess all I can do is email Mini and complain. If enough people complain to them, I won't be surprised if they release the cars sooner. Afterall, cars sitting in the port for 4-6 weeks isn't making any money for Mini either. I fear that this hold-up is to try to sell some of the 06 models because I can't imagine many people will want to buy them once the 07 models are available.
you are probably dead on man. besides the launch event

Old 01-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Why complain. I think most of us who follow these forums have been aware of this for quite some time. Did your dealer tell you it would come on a date prior to the 17th? Mine told me that I would see it no later than March 12th. As it stands, on tracking the car, it looks like it will completed on January 17th and I suspect I'll be able to drive it away on February 17th.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:11 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
MINI could have stopped taking orders completel on the 07s. That would have made even less sense.
It's a corporate thing. Marketing, etc. and as a result of an official launch MINI maintains a certain level of class. It's not every year that MINi gets to strut their new wares to the unbelievers.
It has little to do with anyone who has already ordered a car but has everthing to do with anyone who hasn't ordered yet.
Besides, it's 4 weeks away. That does not sound like an unreasonable time for a special order car.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
This isn't any different than what they did in Britain. I think the launch date was Nov. 17. Many of the cars arrived before then but dealers were not allowed to hand them out until the launch.

Some dealers allowed the owners to come and look at their cars and photograph them ahead of time, but would not release them early.

Everyone understood that the cars would not be available until that date.

From everything I heard, the U.S. launch was going to be around President's Day and that cars would not be available for release until that date. It seems that they're holding to that schedule.

The alternative would be to not accept orders from U.S. buyers until the launch date. That would add another couple of months to the process. Seems that would be less preferable.

Because I'm lookiing for a manual MC, I can't place my order until next month. Yes, I'd like to get it before April, but that's just the way it is, since they're not manufacturing any manual transmission MCs for the U.S. market until March.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dave
Don't count on complaining doing any good.

The media is going to get a "launch" event in early February. Then the dealers go to check out the car in the second week of February. Finally, the cars are released on the 17th. The whole thing is already planned.

This is almost exactly what happened in 2002 when the car was introduced. So don't expect any changes this time around.
Yes yes and yes. Well said.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
punchinello
1st Gear
rsb - My 2007 PB/W MC is sitting in NJ right now (having docked on 1/10). My MA at "Mini of Richmond" VA confirmed that they will not be loaded on trucks until 2/16, in time for the "official release" on 2/17. In my case, it will then take approx. 2 days for the dealer to "prep" the car and install the driving lights, so I will not be able to pick up the car before 2/20, at the earliest.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:47 PM
rsb
1st Gear
punchinello - I can imagine how you must be feeling with your car just waiting at the port for over 5 weeks. And I can't image what it must be costing BMW to hold so many cars at the port for such a long period of time. Did you try to contact Mini USA to see if they will release the car sooner? My MA told me that if lots of angry customers contact Mini, they might change their mind.

When you placed your order, did your MA promise you delivery before 2/20?

And how did you decide to order a car without even seeing or driving the 2007 model?

Old 01-15-2007, 07:49 PM
SB
6th Gear
I don't have one on order but have been told when asked about the 07's that yes, some are at the port. This was from an MA. Truth or rumor I don't know. I guess someone needs to go on a reconnaissance mission to a VPC and provide some proof.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:02 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
They are in port and this thread is discussed in full in the R56 area for anyone that is interested.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:06 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the cars are actually being held at the distribution centers and not at the ports of entry. At least while everyone's waiting, the VDCs can get the cars prepped and ready to go.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told by my MA clear back in July that the 2007 would not be sold here until February. I thought because he wanted to sell me a 2006 back then, but turns-out he was right. Anyway, seems this has been in the plans for quite some time now, not a last minute delay or anything like that.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 PM
punchinello
1st Gear
rsb - Having test driven both 2005 & 2006 MC's, I wasn't that concerned with ordering a 2007 sight unseen. The alternatrive was to wait several months for the 2007's to arrive, test drive one and place an order. I didn't want to wait until mid-year for a new car. Besides I have owned my cureent car for 14 years (over 214,000 miles) and I woud like to repalce it before I have to put any more money into it.

When I orderd the MC on 12/04, my MA said I should not expect it before March, so (even though I would like to pick up the car today) it is actually ahead of schedule. And I don't think sending a letter to BMW is going to change thier plans for a big February "roll-out"

Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 AM
legalr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rsb
I heard a rumor that Mini is holding 2007 Coopers at the US ports and not releasing them to the dealers and customers right away as they are planning for a simultaneous Feb 17 release in the US. [...] Does anyone have any info on this?
My MA told me she has received some 2007 MCS convertibles already but thinks Mini is holding the other 2007 models back.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:54 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Threads merged

Old 01-19-2007, 05:20 AM
glangford
6th Gear
At port

I know from tracking my mini on the ww site, it is now in port at Charleston and has been discharged, probably to the VDC. From the ship bill of lading my mini voyaged over with 43 other minis, so there are at least 44 sitting in Charleston. I can wait the 4 weeks. I expect to drive it home on the 17th of Feb as always planned. The MA told me when I placed the order on the 11/30 that they would not release any cars until 2/17 even though they may have them earlier. Actually knowing it is built and here makes the wait seem easier. I think I mentioned in another post that most dealers have not yet been trained for the R56 and my MA told me that they have training planned in early Feb for the MAs as well as the technicans. In addition, there may also still be regulatory hurdles. EPA testing has been done and we've seen the results, but only for the manual, automatic figures were quoted as 'preliminary'. Given all the Coopers are automatic until March builds not sure if Mini has finalized the EPA results with the automatic Coopers being delivered. In short if some are planning a email barage to miniusa, I think you are wasting your time.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:30 AM
rsb
1st Gear
Mini might realease cars sooner!!!!!

Actually, I just got an email from MiniUSA and they said that the cars might be available sooner than 2/17 if all the work on them (like testing, etc.) is sone. So maybe a barage of emails from multiple customers might actually help - definetly can't hurt. Power of consumers you know

Old 01-19-2007, 06:46 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Don't forget, they can't (and shouldn't!) release these cars until service techs have been trained in installations and the specifics. It would likely be even more frustrating for you to get it to your dealer and then have him/her telling you they can't release it because the service techs aren't checked out yet on the new design, and so an installation can't be performed or some minor issue fixed.

It should be fair to expect that if the dealership is selling the car, the service department can take care of any problems that come up. Getting that kind of training and parts deployed takes time, which I would imaging factors into why the cars are being held.

I've had my order in for months and I'm still waiting for a production number. (Apparently my options open up for week 10.) At least if your car is stateside, the end is in sight! :-)

By the way, speaking of options, I got this last night from Meg Brown, Customer Relations at MiniUSA: "In regards to the audio package, we still do not have any updates to suggest that the availability of the package has changed. However, if it does change, we will notify our MINI dealers as soon as possible. Also, the white turn signal lense option is for the rear tail lights on the Cooper S, as the white side indicators are standard on this model. I hope this helps you out."

Have a good weekend, y'all.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:50 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear
When have you ever known life to be fair??? They will be here when they get here. People knew that when they ordered them.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:08 AM
sixblade
2nd Gear
I dont feel bad for you guys at all, I will not be getting my configured MCS till the beginning of April probably

Old 01-19-2007, 08:08 AM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sixblade
I dont feel bad for you guys at all, I will not be getting my configured MCS till the beginning of April probably
likewise...

Quick Reply: R56 MINI holding 2007 Coopers at the US Ports?