R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sparkling silver with a white roof?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nightfire red was in the Configurator for a few days when it changed from 2006 to the 2007 models. I think MINI put it on delay until June (?) But I hadn't heard anything about it since then.
I'm not sure how it will differ from Chilli Red. It's meant to be metallic, but as far as the hue/tone I do not know.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:46 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh designerMINI!
>I know what you mean about the hood.....
I pretty much have all the ‘enhancements’ you mention that come with the ‘S’ version (engine obviously excluded) – Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg. I need to be strong and resist the ‘S’ temptation! When I started looking seriously at MINI’s several months ago I did my first build. I was quite happy with a PW/PW with Cold Weather Pkg, DSC and sunroof. Nice car at a quite reasonable price. Then I went back into the ‘configurator monster’. By the time I finished I had convinced myself of the ‘need’ for the Premium Pkg and cloth sport seats. I went back into the monster again a couple of weeks ago. I really messed up when I clicked on the Sport Pkg and, out of curiosity, punched in the bonnet strips on the SS/W color scheme. I shouldn’t have done that! I swallowed that hook all the way down to my heart. So now I am several thousand $$ above what I was originally quite happy with. And the ‘S’ would add several thousand more above that. I need keep away from the addicting configurator monster. Now, if my dealer should happen to call and say ‘you REALLY need to come in at look at this BEAUTIFUL ‘S’ that we just got in’…. – who knows!! I do like that hood scoop look……

Old 01-22-2007, 05:57 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think Sparkling Silver with a White roof would be beautiful!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Rennie - I would hate to loose you as my primary SS/W supporter - but maybe you would like this...
[IMG]file:///Users/barry/Desktop/Snapshot%202007.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by beedeejay; 03-16-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
beedee,
Are you under the impression that the S comes with all three packages. If so they are all options on the S too.
I decided to go with an S and forego much of the bling. My S has ended up close to what I was going to spend on the opted out MC.
My 2007 MINI Cooper S
Base MSRP* $21,200
Destination & Handling $650
paint
Black Bonnet Stripes $100
Black Roof/Mirrors $0
Mellow Yellow Body Color $0
Cold Weather Package $300
Heated Front Seats
Heated Side Mirrors and Washer Jets
performance
Dynamic Stability Control $500
Front Fog Lamps STD
Rear Fog Lamp $100
6-Speed Getrag Manual STD
16" Bridge-Spoke (Performance) $0
All Season Tires $0
cockpit
Sport Seats STD
On-Board Computer STD
6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD
Center Arm Rest $200
Cloth: Checkered Carbon Black/Black $0
Mellow Yellow Color Line $200
Interior Surface Checkered STD
2-Spoke Leather Steering Wheel STD
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $23,250
accessory**
No selections in this category
TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $0
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $23,250

The MC I was interested in:
My 2007 MINI Cooper

Base MSRP* $18,050 Destination & Handling $650
paint
Black Roof/Mirrors $0
Mellow Yellow Body Color $0 package
Cold Weather Package $300
Heated Front Seats
Heated Side Mirrors and Washer Jets
Premium Package $1,400
Automatic AC
Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
On-Board Computer
3-Spoke w/Cruise and Multifunction
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction
Sport Package $1,400
Dynamic Stability Control
Rear Spoiler
16" 5-Stars (Performance Run Flats)
Front Fog Lamps
Sport Seats
16" Bridge-Spoke (Performance)
All Season Tires
Black Bonnet Stripes performance
6-Speed Getrag Manual STD cockpit
Interior Surface Brushed Alloy $300
Chrome Line Interior $200
On-Board Computer STD
6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD
Center Arm Rest $200
Anthracite Headliner $200
Cloth: Checkered Carbon Black/Black $0
Mellow Yellow Color Line $200 TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $22,900 accessory**
Chrome Gas Filler Cap (installation not incl.) $144
Mud Flaps front and rear axle (installation not incl.) $62 TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $206 TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $22,900 TOTAL COMBINED $23,106

In the end I'm happy with less "things" and in my opinion more MINI. Others might make the opposite decision and feel they got more MINI for the buck but as long as they are happy, that is all that matters.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
designerMINI
I know the packages are options on both versions. But here are the ‘problems’:
I want a sunroof and cruise control – might as well just get the Premium Pkg rather than order as separate items.
I want cloth seats – only available with sport seats. I also want DSC. I would like fog lights. Add those together as separate items and it’s close to just getting the Sport Pkg which also includes rear spoiler, bonnet stripes and 16” wheels. But I could ‘survive’ with just the cloth sport seats and DSC which would drop $600 off the Sport Pkg $1400. Oh, but if I stick with SS/W I want the bonnet stripes – probably about a $150 dealer option since I don’t see a separate factory option for them. So now there is about a $450 ‘savings’ which, with what would then be 15” wheels, might actually fit my use better than 16” run-flats (whole new subject).
You’re giving up your sunroof! That might be hard for me. That is almost a ‘must have’ in my MINI build. I see you are getting a leather steering wheel – but I don’t think you are getting cruise control. I might be wrong though.
My current ‘desired’ MC in SS/W is $22632. It’s build is in this forum near the end of the ‘Post your …R56…’ thread.
I could probably be quite satisfied though with a PW/PW build at $21582. But I feel pretty good about ‘justifying’ spending the additional $1K to get to my ‘preferred’.
My MCS build (your fault for making me do this!) is around $24800 (or 25800 if I REALLY get what I like best). Hmm…. Those numbers are a little tougher – but I will research and ponder. If I end up going the ‘S’ route I want you to know up front that it will be YOUR FAULT!! It’s that #@&& ‘configurator monster’ again!! In any event I still like the SS/W scheme.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
LOL I wasn't trying to change your mind. I was only trying to show that it is possible to get an S for about the same price as a MC. I thought about loosing the sunroof the most. I read some posts here and although most posts were strongly in favor of the sunroof I didn't find the reasons very compelling. I also didn't find those in favor of a solid roof compelling either. In the end I think I like the feel of a car without a sunroof. I don't feel like I'm missing anything that I will miss. I've had a car with a sunroof, a convertible and a hard top in the past -- If think if I go for a car without a hardtop again it'll be a soft top.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
by the way the stripes are on the first screen of the configurmonster -- in the details area.
Don't drive yourself crazy trying to make a perfect MINI --- if you had less choices you would have it figured out and you'd be delighted with it.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:18 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My 2002 Cooper didn't have the sunroof. I traded her in for my 2003 MCS and ordered all the packages, with the exception of the 17-inch wheels in the Sports Package...I wanted the 16s. I love my sunroof!!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:06 AM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
designerMINI
Yeah - so many, many choices! But then part of the MINI ‘mystic’ is trying to figure out what all those 10,000,000 combinations actually are as the ‘confuremonstor’ loads up the computer and kicks the processor fans into high speed overdrive! Obviously the computer is having a tough time sorting it all out too!!
I’ve never owned what could be called a ‘sporty’ car. Nor any vehicle that seems to have such a loyal fan base. From what I’ve seen MINI owners have much in common with Harley-Davidson riders. A certain mystic, huge variety of choices for personalization, strong brand loyalty, vocal opinions about their ‘ride’ (but very respectful of other’s choices) and fun loving. By the way I have a little 883 Harley (some don’t even consider it a ‘real’ motorcycle since it’s under a 1000cc’s). It is fun - but NOT very comfortable. And my riding season is soooo short - hence the ‘need’ for the ‘double size’ sunroof to massage the dandruff in my graying hair and have that open feeling around me. No - I don’t want a soft top. I will be breaking new ground with a MINI. I have never seen another MINI in my county that is registered here - a county larger than the State of Delaware. It is over 200 miles to the nearest MINI dealer. So this is not really a practical choice for such a car in these circumstances. But damn practicality - I LIKE IT! And right now, for the first time in my life, I think I can afford it. I hope it is reliable.
I WILL resist the ‘S’ (I WILL repeat that to myself several times every day for the next month until my final build is locked in) [FONT=Wingdings][/FONT]
I’m still happy with my current build. SS/W with white bonnet strips!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:32 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rennie
I have that age thing going too. I originally didn't get a CR/W because I thought I was too old. And now I'm even older. So....who knows. I just wish I could see the SS car first.
Me too on the age. But doesn't the approach of 2nd childhoold give us license to flout some of the somber, adult, conventions, even if it means MY/W or, in the extreme, SS/W?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
pure silver

Originally Posted by ZIG
I need to see the Sparkling Silver in person first to decide, so as of now I am going with Pure Silver. My dealer is supposed to receive both colors for the debut in Feb. so I will make a final choice then. There are some pretty good pics of the checkered cloth at outmotoring.com in the yellow car. They are looking good and I am sticking with that choice of upholstery as I like a cloth interior.
An older couple drives by my house regularly in a pure silver (all over) Mini S. It looks very classy.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by beedeejay
Rennie - I would hate to loose you as my primary SS/W supporter - but maybe you would like this...
[IMG]file:///Users/barry/Desktop/Snapshot%202007.jpg[/IMG]
LOL! Funny you should post that because as of 2 hours ago, I've decided to go with CR/W and your picture just confirms that. Thank you :-).

Two years ago while we were driving to the dealer to pick up my 2005 PW/B, I said to my husband, "I think I should've gotten red." And I do admire the CR/W's that I see on the road. I'm afraid that come March we'd be driving to my dealer to pick up my SS/W MC and I'd be saying the same thing. So, looks like it's CR/W.....for now. Beedeejay, please post a picture when you get yours so I can kick myself.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:29 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by colea
Me too on the age. But doesn't the approach of 2nd childhoold give us license to flout some of the somber, adult, conventions, even if it means MY/W or, in the extreme, SS/W?

I'm definately heading for a second childhood! I'm getting an S -- MY/b black stripes. and 46 yrs old. and if anyone doesn't like it --- NAHHH NAHH NANAH NAH!!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear
I'm just enough of a cynic to say...

... to Hell with what the majority thinks or likes -- get what YOU want. The concept of good color combination/bad color combo is subjective. It's more pointless than arguing whether blondes are more beautiful than redheads.

And if you're buying the car with the express intention of selling it, agonizing over resale value is well advised.

However, if you're getting a Mini to actually drive and enjoy it...

Old 01-23-2007, 12:49 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
I prefer brunettes with sport suspension.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:50 PM
lava
5th Gear
It looks freakin great with the white roof - go for it!

Old 01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Rennie
The thumbnail doesn't do it justice. Did you actually click on the pic?

designerMINI
While I was out doing my field work today I pondered.... now if I was to sell my H-D I could...... hmmmm..... maybe swing that......'S'.....
SLAP THAT FACE - I WILL RESIST......

Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by designerMINI

I'm definately heading for a second childhood! I'm getting an S -- MY/b black stripes. and 46 yrs old. and if anyone doesn't like it --- NAHHH NAHH NANAH NAH!!!!
And if you don't like it you can lump it!

Okay, I was thisclosetoswitching to CR/W. Now the latest comments have me rethinking again. This is supposed to be fun.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Rennie
The thumbnail doesn't do it justice. Did you actually click on the pic?

I did click on it at work and it looked red. But on my home monitor, it actually looks orange. Still looks good though. I wouldn't be having such a hard time if I could actually see the SS in person. Buying from photographs is not a good thing. I may have to wait until Feb. 17th to place my order. Just three l o n g weeks away.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 PM
freddo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by designerMINI
Nightfire red was in the Configurator for a few days when it changed from 2006 to the 2007 models. I think MINI put it on delay until June (?) But I hadn't heard anything about it since then.
I'm not sure how it will differ from Chilli Red. It's meant to be metallic, but as far as the hue/tone I do not know.
It´s now on the German configurator. www.mini.de and it is metallic...loos awesome!! Much darker than CR
Also the oxygen blue is on UK config. www.mini.co.uk

Old 01-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by freddo
It´s now on the German configurator. www.mini.de and it is metallic...loos awesome!! Much darker than CR
Also the oxygen blue is on UK config. www.mini.co.uk
I love the oxygen blue! Not available in the U.S.?

Old 01-23-2007, 06:39 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rennie
I love the oxygen blue! Not available in the U.S.?
I've previously heard it is not. I love it, too!!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:19 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Rennie-
Yeah - it was kind of a fluke when I was using my photo program and hit the photomerge button. It put CR/W and MY/W together. Had another merge that was a nice bronze.
I also have that 17 Feb date. I'm still feeling good about my SS/W choice. And I THINK I will be able to resist the 'S' temptation.
I'm sure my SS/W MINI would feel less lonely on that production line if there was another along there with it - but it's OK if you go with CR/W. That's a great combination and was on my finalist list too. I may be just a bit jealous of that choice because of the energy and youth I see in it. However, it seems just a bit too 'daring' for my personality and life stage. But maybe it would slow down these greying sideburns too. Oh.... the choices.... Maybe there will be new color choices during the next week or two in the 'configuratormonster'. So maybe just hold off a bit - and then listen to your heart!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Rennie-
Yeah - it was kind of a fluke when I was using my photo program and hit the photomerge button. It put CR/W and MY/W together. Had another merge that was a nice bronze.
I also have that 17 Feb date. I'm still feeling good about my SS/W choice. And I THINK I will be able to resist the 'S' temptation.
I'm sure my SS/W MINI would feel less lonely on that production line if there was another along there with it - but it's OK if you go with CR/W. That's a great combination and was on my finalist list too. I may be just a bit jealous of that choice because of the energy and youth I see in it. However, it seems just a bit too 'daring' for my personality and life stage. But maybe it would slow down these greying sideburns too. Oh.... the choices.... Maybe there will be new color choices during the next week or two in the 'configuratormonster'. So maybe just hold off a bit - and then listen to your heart!
My heart is leading me in too many directions. I do think it's great that you know exactly what you want. I hope to reach that stage as well. By the way, a lot of people at work today really liked the SS/W. Classy and sporty at the same time. Will let you know my final choice.

Quick Reply: R56 Sparkling silver with a white roof?