R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sparkling silver with a white roof?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sparkling silver with a white roof?

I'm seriously thinking of trading in my '05 PW/B MC for an '07 Sparkling Silver MC. The General Manager of the dealership was really pushing for me to get a black roof, but I want a change from my current roof which is black. Has anyone ever seen a Sparkling Silver MINI with a white roof? It looks good in the configurator, but I know the colors there aren't very accurate. Are there any pictures available? I'd be curious to know your opinion of that combination. I wouldn't consider a white roof with a pure silver MINI, but in the pictures I've seen, the SS seems to lean more towards a darker silver which looks great with a white roof. I'm so confused. :impatient

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the carbon black checkered cloth seats? I can't decide between that or the two tone leatherette.

Thank you!

Old 01-21-2007, 06:38 AM
sixblade
2nd Gear
I went with those seats over the leatherette, all though I didnt get to see them up close by any means :/ all you can see is by whats in my sig.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:46 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Here is a pic too big for this page.

More pictures here: http://www.outmotoring.com/photos/2007_detroit_mini/ by outmotoring.com

Old 01-21-2007, 06:54 AM
ZIG
1st Gear
Checkered Cloth

I need to see the Sparkling Silver in person first to decide, so as of now I am going with Pure Silver. My dealer is supposed to receive both colors for the debut in Feb. so I will make a final choice then. There are some pretty good pics of the checkered cloth at outmotoring.com in the yellow car. They are looking good and I am sticking with that choice of upholstery as I like a cloth interior.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:04 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Having seen a SS in the flesh I would say your dealer is right, go for the black roof. White will not suit it well, on the other hand it will be a rarer combination but perhaps not for the right reason.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:24 AM
KenL
2nd Gear
I would not go for SS with a white roof. Defo better with black or a SS roof.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Thank you all very much. You've helped me rethink things.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:55 AM
redrocket
4th Gear
ive always felt silver with a white roof would be a cool look, but ive never seen the combo in the flesh.

i guess, though, its better to be safe than sorry

Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 AM
jbalfour
2nd Gear
I agree. It does look interesting in the configurator (especially with white bonnet stripes), but I have never seen that combination, that I remember.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:44 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rennie – I’ve been skulking around this web site for quite awhile and your post finally was the kick that made me officially join. My first thought was to say that your choice would be an UGLY color combination. But that was out of selfishness and jealousy. Then I remembered from the MINIUSA website that MINI drivers are supposed to be kind and courteous. So I will confess. A little over a week ago I put a deposit down on a new MINI with that very color combination. Mine is a MC in Sparkling Silver, White roof and White bonnet stripes. I also went with the cloth interior. I agree the MINI configurator doesn’t do the color justice. There are some MINI’s in the European mini2.com web site that are the SS color (none that I’ve seen with a white roof though). But I think they show the color more accurately – and I can picture them with the white roof and bonnet stripes. I have not woken up in a cold sweat thinking I have made the wrong choice yet. But then I have until mid February to make any changes to my order. I suspect after the official debut in February that we will see much more interest in Sparkling Silver in these forums. And it actually WOULD better if I’m NOT the only one out there on the roads with this color combination. Trust your instincts.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Thank you for your response, beedeejay. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as an attractive combination. However, after doing research, I find that you and I are in the minority. I'm afraid I haven't seen one post where SS/White was well received, not to mention the GM at my dealership who wouldn't let up on the black roof. I have yet to place my order and my only other option is Chili Red/White roof which is a totally different look. I'm very torn. I guess I need someone to say they've seen this combination in person and it's awesome. I'm actually envious that you've been able to make a choice as I'm still struggling. I hope it all works out for you and the SS/White knocks everyone's socks off. Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 AM
freddo
2nd Gear
I´ve also seen SS at my dealer and I dont think white roof will suit it well, black or maybe body coloured rof is the way to go. I was thinking about s myself but when I saw it I changed my mind.

Those checkerd clothseats looks great, but I thought they where only for the mcs. I have ordered carbonblack cloth sportseats for my MC.

Sparkling silver with a white roof?-9343_27.jpg

Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by freddo
I´ve also seen SS at my dealer and I dont think white roof will suit it well, black or maybe body coloured rof is the way to go. I was thinking about s myself but when I saw it I changed my mind.

Those checkerd clothseats looks great, but I thought they where only for the mcs. I have ordered carbonblack cloth sportseats for my MC.

Attachment 17949
I'm getting sports seats in the MC and I'm pretty sure the only cloth choice I could get with those seats was the checkered cloth.

Is is me or does that picture look great? Thank you, freddo. Now I'm leaning towards the white roof again. Did you photoshop that or is it an actual photograph?

Old 01-22-2007, 08:22 AM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
The chili red/white is a nice combination too. I've seen the 06 in that combination and liked it. I've been torn like you over color choice. I narrowed it down to SS/W, CR/W, MY/W and all PW. I liked them all. Note that none had a black roof. I have to drive a little every day on a dirt road. I had a black car once. Impossible to keep 'clean'. Same goes for other dark colors. They can be stunning when they are polished up and 'clean'. But they are just not for me in my situation. I also really like the all PW. And if I went that route I would probably also save more than just the $450 premium for metallic paint because I would likely drop some of the other options I've chosen. But my upper-teen/young adult 'car advisors' tell me that MINI's 'must' have different colored roofs from the body. Not that any of them will ever get to drive it! At my age CR/W and MY/W might be a bit too out of character for me. I'm damned no matter what choice I make! I have a few more weeks before I'm locked in - but I slept OK again last night with my SS/W choice.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
I have that age thing going too. I originally didn't get a CR/W because I thought I was too old. And now I'm even older. So....who knows. I just wish I could see the SS car first.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 AM
freddo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rennie
I'm getting sports seats in the MC and I'm pretty sure the only cloth choice I could get with those seats was the checkered cloth.

Is is me or does that picture look great? Thank you, freddo. Now I'm leaning towards the white roof again. Did you photoshop that or is it an actual photograph?
Ok I dont know how the options is in US but here in europe checkerd cloth is only for the S.
The sportseats for the cooper has same upholstery like the standardseats. atleast so I´ve been told
and no its not a photoshop, wish I was that good though :D

Originally Posted by beedeejay
I narrowed it down to SS/W, CR/W, MY/W and all PW. I also really like the all PW. And if I went that route I would probably also save more than just the $450 premium for metallic paint because I would likely drop some of the other options I've chosen.
SS is the only metallic of those colours.
CR/W will always look good but not that ordinary, so i would go for PW/PW if I were you. I´m not sure about MY/W, like it with black roof.
But does the roof really get that dirty, or does it?

Old 01-22-2007, 10:37 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Quick Photoshop

This is a retouched SS S
I think it looks fine. Most people go for high contrast when they go for 2 toned. That does not mean subtle combos are ugly. Ugly, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Liquid Yelow with white was a common combo in the last model. Liquid yellow was lighter than the current yellow.
I have never seen Pure Silver with white but the SS has more "color" than the Pure Silver.
I think the SS/W combo is nice. It's a good combo of classy and sporty.
By the way, get what you want -- not what someone else thinks you should. Honestly being original is admirable. It's not a negative.
Are you thinking about a sunroof. If so, there isn't much roof to be concerned about.
JIm

Old 01-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Jim, thank you for that and for the picture. I agree with everything you've said (I thought the liquid yellow with white looked beautiful). I really like the SS/white, and I know I'm the only person who needs to like it since it would be my car, but I don't know how I'd feel driving a MINI that most of my friends don't like. I'm weird that way. I have until Saturday to decide. Thank you again for your help. And no, no sunroof. I had one in my old car and never even used it.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:57 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Oh I forgot the mirror caps -- also I think the white wheels would look better than the silver alloys in this combo.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:01 AM
freddo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by designerMINI
T
I have never seen Pure Silver with white but the SS has more "color" than the Pure Silver.
Pure silver can´t be ordered with white roof, only bodycoloured or black.
Otherwise you are so right, get what you feel for, not what other people say.. Know Its hard though, sooo hard!

I´ve changed my spec from PW/PW to PW/B and then again to NFR/B untill i finally decided to go for AB/AB. Maybe booring but I love it, specialy with aerokit and black 18" wheels

Old 01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Thanks designerMINI for the photo - it helps confirm my current choice too. Now if I could only justify going the 'S' route to get the hood scoop! I think the SS/W will fit my personality about perfect. The hood stripes add just enough rebellion against my greying sideburns to balance out the overall relative conservative theme of the car. I like it. And mine will have the sunroof.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:05 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
beedeejay,
I know what you mean about the hood. I prefer the hood scoop too whether it has any real practical use or not. Going to the S -- for me meant I get a Turbo. More HP is a good thing but the trade off is lower Mpg. You also get the16" tires -- which I think look better too and Sport seats and rear spoiler which also look better (IMHO).
The cost is a factor but what I did was think how many of the options that come standard on the S would I have ordered and paid for in the MC and what options (convenience ones) would I live without in the S that I wanted in the nonS. When I did that the cost difference was virtualy the same. I would have had more options -- bling--- in the MC but my priority was different.
It's a very tough decision!
Jim

Old 01-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Pure silver can´t be ordered with white roof, only bodycoloured or black.
Otherwise you are so right, get what you feel for, not what other people say.. Know Its hard though, sooo hard!

I´ve changed my spec from PW/PW to PW/B and then again to NFR/B untill i finally decided to go for AB/AB. Maybe booring but I love it, specialy with aerokit and black 18" wheels
AB/AB is not boring; it's actually quite hot. As far as a white roof with the pure silver, the 2007 USA configurator now allows you to select a white roof with that color. That really surprised me. I wonder how that would look. I do appreciate everyone's responses, but I'm just too afraid to take a chance on an iffy combination, so as of today (Monday), I'm going with the SS/B. Of course that can change a hundred times until Saturday. The main reason I wanted a white roof was for the change from my current PW/B. Now if they only had silk green, I would select that color in a second with a white roof.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:51 PM
freddo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rennie
AB/AB is not boring; it's actually quite hot. As far as a white roof with the pure silver, the 2007 USA configurator now allows you to select a white roof with that color. That really surprised me. I wonder how that would look. I do appreciate everyone's responses, but I'm just too afraid to take a chance on an iffy combination, so as of today (Monday), I'm going with the SS/B. Of course that can change a hundred times until Saturday. The main reason I wanted a white roof was for the change from my current PW/B. Now if they only had silk green, I would select that color in a second with a white roof.
Hm did´t know that about PS, I´ts not someting I would like though. atleast I think so.
SS/B is nice, have you thought about nightfire red?

Old 01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Hm did´t know that about PS, I´ts not someting I would like though. atleast I think so.
SS/B is nice, have you thought about nightfire red?
Actually, I hadn't. But I think it would look awesome with a white roof. Must go check it out right now.
I'm back. I didn't see the nightfire red with the US MC configurator. Is that color available for the MC?

Quick Reply: R56 Sparkling silver with a white roof?