R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Quick Question and Opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:50 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick Question and Opinions wanted!

Hey, I am for sure, purchasing a my first ever, R56, 2007 Mini Cooper. I just had a couple questions.

Ive test driven a 2006, but I was wondering...

A. What are the switches that are above your review mirrow now?

B. On the lower switches, one of them is rear fog light.....what happens if i dont order rear fog, is the switch space empty? is it still there but useless?

C. Does the sunroof come with mesh that can be pulled over it, like in the 2006 mini?

And opions are wanted: Anything more I should consider?

2007 Mini Cooper
-Pure Silver
-Black Top
-Black Bonnet Stripes
-Automatic
-Sports Package
-Convenience Package
-Sunroof
-Auto Climate AC

Thanks, new mini obsessor, Dave

Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the choices are personal.
I ordered without seeing the new MINIs in person but that was 3 weeks ago. If I was considering ordering today -- I would hold off another 4 weeks and wait to see them in person. They will be in a MINI dealership near you mid Feb. The MINI you have speced sounds nice.
Personally, I wouldn't think of the Convenience Pkg - but I would consider the Premium pkg. especially since you are interested in 2 of the 3 main features in it.
Well thats my 2 cents.
Jim

Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
personally i would go crazy with the CVT transmission, so a stick is a must. now this is just my opinion, and depending on where you drive/driving habits/ plans for the future, a CVT may be a better choice.

good luck

Old 01-22-2007, 07:40 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
The Auto isn't CVT this year -- from what I understand.
I wouldn't go for an auto either but if I needed to or prefered it I would think that the paddle shifters were a great way of putting some manual activity into the auto experience.
Sounds very cool.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
o wow, i didn't know they weren't going CVT this year. if not, go for it, but defiantly get the paddle shifters, and use the steptronic (or whatever MINI calls it, because everycar companys call is differant names and they all do the SAME EXACT THING) sorry, had to vent.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Thanks for all the comments so far. I love the convience package beacuse it gives you an armrest, auto windshieldwipers/headlights and my FAVORITE thing about the 2007, the key, leaving it in my pocket and starting the car.
BTW this is my first first first car, i just got my license a little under 6 months ago and i do prefer automatic right now, and the paddle shifters do give me some controll.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:09 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by thlaxx
Thanks for all the comments so far. I love the convience package beacuse it gives you an armrest, auto windshieldwipers/headlights and my FAVORITE thing about the 2007, the key, leaving it in my pocket and starting the car.
BTW this is my first first first car, i just got my license a little under 6 months ago and i do prefer automatic right now, and the paddle shifters do give me some controll.
Wow! That's great, from what I hear your starting your driving experience with a real winner.
All reviers are favorable -- that I've heard of.
Drive it in good health!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

B. On the lower switches, one of them is rear fog light.....what happens if i dont order rear fog, is the switch space empty? is it still there but useless?
A. Map lights, dome light, interior light color adjustment and (I think) dash dimmer.

B. If they are like the first gen, if you don't get the option, you don't get the toggle, and the spot is blank.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:04 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Hey, I am for sure, purchasing a my first ever, R56, 2007 Mini Cooper. I just had a couple questions.

Ive test driven a 2006, but I was wondering...

C. Does the sunroof come with mesh that can be pulled over it, like in the 2006 mini?

And opions are wanted: Anything more I should consider?

2007 Mini Cooper
-Pure Silver
-Black Top
-Black Bonnet Stripes
-Automatic
-Sports Package
-Convenience Package
-Sunroof
-Auto Climate AC

Thanks, new mini obsessor, Dave
It's your car, Dave. What anyone else thinks just doesn't matter.
That said, you should drop all that "junk" and just go with an MCS with LSD, multifunction wheel and sports suspension!! THAT is exactly the recommendation of the staff of Grassroots Motorsports in the 02/07 issue. That gets you a very light, relatively simple and fast car and it's just $23,400 after destination charges! I went and put those items on my soon to be delivered MCS (prior to reading their all important opinions), and then screwed it all up with that stereo upgrade (that's not gonna make it go any faster!), that silly DSC, and some interior color and flash that brought it to just over $25k. It ain't gonna go one bit faster than that GM Mag setup. Bottom line: it's your car...make yourself happy and **** everyone else's opinions. Anybody that doesn't like mine (or YOURS!) can darn well walk! Have fun!
BTW, the same bunch at Grassroots says if you're getting a regular MC, go with just sport seats, sport suspension, and the multifunction steering wheel with cruise control...coming in at $20,250 including destination charges.
But seriously...LOSE THE AUTOMATIC. AUTOMATICS ARE ONLY GOOD AS RELATED TO MACHINE GUNS AND DRAG RACING.
Welcome to NAMM! HAHAHAHAH!

Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Surfblue--why do you call the DSC "silly"? Might just save your bacon some day, especially with a new driver. I've seen it in action on a BMW...

Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most questions have been answered, so I'll go for recommendations...

Anything more I should consider?

2007 Mini Cooper
-Pure Silver
-Black Top
-Black Bonnet Stripes
-Automatic
-Sports Package
-Convenience Package
-Sunroof
-Auto Climate AC
Premium package gets you the sunroof, auto A/C, and the MF steering wheel, so I'd got Sports/Convenience/Premium and maybe save a little, if not, get the MFSW for not much more.

I like DSC, you can turn it off, but for a daily driver it's a Good Thing.

Outside of that, most options are a personal preference thing.

I have this incredibly goofy, stupid, OCD thing of wanting to have no switch-places empty, so if it can be turned on or off, I've ordered it.

To paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson, I wouldn't recommend obsession, geekiness, or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:07 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Auto is definitely not CVT anymore. That is dropped. It is 6 speed automatic from Aisin as in previous MCS. From what I've read on mini2.com forums, you'll love it. That is what I ordered. Mine arrives in Feb 17 with auto! You'll have the manual mode via stick or paddle shifters. Mini2.com forum has explanation of how it all works. Agree with others, DSC can be a great thing, if it engages once, it may be the best money spent.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:10 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Automatic Transmission:

First, I'm getting one.

Second, you'll find there are some die-hard anti-automatic folks on here who are almost off-putting in their passion against the automatic on a Mini. Stay the course. Driving satisfaction can be found either way.

Third, here are some of the reviews of the automatic from Mini2:
"The new auto is such a huge improvement on the CVT that they aren't even in the same league.

Smoother, more precise shifts with little or no delay in full auto mode; and near-manual shifts in Steptronic mode, with a little pressure taken off the accelerator whilst shifting.

Both left and right paddles do the same, pull towards to shift up and push away (with your thumb is easiest) to shift down, so quick shifting is easy.

I'm now seriously considering an auto for my next MINI."

"Amazing........................

We are 450 miles in with the Auto Cooper and all we can say is ...... fantastic. Puts a smile on your face everytime it's driven.

The gearbox is superb compared to the CVT one we test drove back in the summer. You hardly know its changing at all. Our other car has the VW DSG box and we were worried we may be disappointed; not at all.

We are still mostly driving it around in standard Drive mode at the moment as we are are trying to not over rev the engine for the first 1000 miles. The manual also recommends you don't use the kick down to start with; so tempting though as its ready for the off.

Had a little play with the DS (Sport) mode and that really gets things moving in Auto mode, however it get better ..... Using the manual flippers in DS is a treat; real F1 stuff just keep your foot planted and change.

One thing we really like is in standard D mode you can use the manual flippers briefly to slow you in to a corner (for example) then it switches back in to D almost straight away with no gear stick messing.

I know we are being careful with the revs at the moment but on the current tank of fuel its doing 37MPG and that includes being stuck in a near stationary jam for 1hr on New Years Day the rest has been a bit of motorway and A roads and country lanes."

Source: http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-a...ddleshift.html

And finally, the specs on the Mini vs. Mini S manual vs auto, according to Mini.co.uk:

Cooper S
Acceleration 0-62 mph - Manual (secs): 7.1 s
Acceleration 0-62 mph - Automatic (secs): 7.3 s
Top speed - Manual (mph): 140 mph
Top speed - Automatic (mph): 137 mph
Fuel consumption mpg - Manual (urban)¹: 31.7
Fuel consumption mpg - Automatic (urban)¹: 25.9
Fuel consumption mpg - Manual (extra-urban)¹: 49.6
Fuel consumption mpg - Automatic (extra-urban)¹: 49.
Fuel consumption mpg - Manual (combined)¹: 40.9
Fuel consumption mpg - Automatic (combined)¹ 37.2

Cooper

Acceleration 0-62 mph - Manual (secs): 9.1 s
Acceleration 0-62 mph - Automatic (secs): 10.4 s
Top speed - Manual (mph): 126 mph
Top speed - Automatic (mph): 115 mph
Fuel consumption mpg - Manual (urban)¹: 36.2
Fuel consumption mpg - Automatic (urban)¹: 30.4
Fuel consumption mpg - Manual (extra-urban)¹: 61.4
Fuel consumption mpg - Automatic (extra-urban)¹: 54.3
Fuel consumption mpg - Manual (combined)¹: 48.7
Fuel consumption mpg - Automatic (combined)¹: 42.2

I hope that helps. You have a lot of the same options I selected. I might suggest dropping convenience, picking from the smaller options you want, but bag the comfort access and go with Premium package. The MF steering (including cruise), and the AC and the sunroof are all wrapped up into it.

Also, be aware the money saved in the convenience package is a bit misleading. They list the ala carte bluetooth phone prep as $600, and the ala carte armrest as $200, but if you bought the ala carte phone kit @ $600, the armrest is included. That always bugged me, but not a major deal.

Welcome to NAM. I'm also awaiting my first Mini. Specs are posted in the "post your specs" thread. Not a cheap car, but if I wanted a cheap car I'd buy another Honda Civic. In fact, for what I'm spending on the Mini I could just about buy TWO of them!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 AM
sixblade
2nd Gear
I understand the desire of having the ease of an automatic transmission. its one thing to have it in my Intrepid boat beater. But this sort of car I dont think I could tollerate anything but a manual trans matter of prefrance of course, but so many people feel the same way.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Razzle
1st Gear
OK, this is kind of driving me crazy. I can't imagine ever asking for opinions on these sort of topics. It would never help me to make a decision. For instance, the sunroof question. I personally love having a really big sunroof and wouldn't have a Mini without it. However, another reply was from a NAM member who sais skip the sunroof because it weighs too much. This states my case perfectly...Is he right?...Am I right?...NO! Neither of us is right, it depends on the person. I would just make a bad decision for me if I took advice off this forum. WIll "the kid" be racing? I don't know, so considering weight is silly. We're talking about a difference of a hundredth of a second or something like that. Some members would find my spec silly, but I've gotta have my sunroof, nice stereo and I think the Convenience Pkg. is cool. Now, after all that ranting I will say one thing. When I was a new driver I wanted a Datsun 280Z in a automatic. Why? Because, I didn't know how to drive a stick and I was too stubborn to want to learn. Now I know bettter and this car is probably best served with a manual tranny. Not all cars are though; my current car is a 2004 BMW X3 which is an auto and I wanted it that way. Blah, blah,blah get whatever you want kid and post pics when you get it and enjoy it!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Dave.

Welcome to NAM.

Like you, I drove a 2006. Everything I read about the 2007 in terms of performance was positive and I was confident that none of the various aesthetic "issues" that have been beaten to death in some threads here were going to be an issue for me. So, I ordered a 2007.

Since then I have asked a lot of questions about the MCS, have received a lot of valuable input and have modified my order in a way that saved money and made sense, for me. I started the "To Sunroof Or Not To Sunroof" thread because I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to squeak or rattle. What I got was a very heated debate about the merits and drawbacks of a sunroof and only a few folks that actually answered my question. But the input helped me make my decision.

As Razzle says, get what you want, not what other people tell you too. That being said, you'll learn a lot here and the opinions of others may change your opinion ...and that can be a good thing if you think things through.

I originally had the premium package in my spec, but then read that a lot of folks didn't like the auto AC. That got me thinking and I dropped the package ...NOT because I thought the auto AC was bad, but because the discussion made me rethink things and I simply decided that for the money saved I could live without the convenience of the MF wheel and the auto AC ...I am okay with reaching over and playing with the controls, as I do in my current car (which ironically has auto AC and a MF wheel, neither of which ever get used).

As for the tranny thing, seriously consider learning how to drive a manual transmission before making your decision. I agree with both sides of the transmission argument: I agree with "get what you want" ..but personally think the 6-speed makes a fun car even more fun ...you are more actively involved in the experience. Naturally, if you can't drive a stick it will make it less fun. So, give it a shot first and see what you think.

This forum has been very helpful in spending my money. I went for the sport package to get the DSC and the crown spokes, which I think are way cool. I also added LSD. Like DSC, it seemed like a smart thing to do. Less smart were the additions of the chrome line exterior, fluid silver interior and leather ...but I did those things for me. And that's the key ...its all for you, so get what you want ...but there is no harm in asking a lot of questions and seeking the opinions of others. Just weigh things carefully and put your priorities ahead of ours.

Best of luck Dave !

dean.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Razzle--don't worry about the sunroof weight--it's 51.9 pounds, according to my MA, who got it straight from Germany.

Thlaxx--I also recommend learning how to drive a manual. That's partly because of this car (I tried both), and partly because you never know when you'll need to use it. Worth knowing.

Also, it's worth thinking in terms of ultimate resale, too. While you can't imagine selling it now, in a few years that will change, and you'll find that the buyers will be more attracted to some items--might make the difference in a sale.

Reelsmith--what did you finally decide to do with the sunroof option?

Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Reelsmith--what did you finally decide to do with the sunroof option?
I got it ...well, I ordered it ...I have no idea when I am getting it.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 AM
djam43
6th Gear
sound system

You did not mention your preferance for a sound system, I hear that the new hi-fi upgrade is awsome. Also with most of the radio stations now transmitting dual analog/digital signals , the HD upgrade would be something to look into.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:57 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Also, it's worth thinking in terms of ultimate resale, too. While you can't imagine selling it now, in a few years that will change, and you'll find that the buyers will be more attracted to some items--might make the difference in a sale.
The problem with resale is you never know what buyers will want. Here's my take on resale. Any no option MINI should hold it's value well and have a good resale value. A few options may hold their value and make the car easier to sell like a sunroof. Most like Auto A/C, upgraded radio, xenons, etc. won't get you anywhere near what you pay and don't affect the buying decision that much. The more money you have into the car the more people start saying "I could buy a new one for that!". Keep down the options. I know others recommend the exact opposite.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:09 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Something else to consider is how long you plan to have the car. My parents subscribe to a "trade it in every 5 years" or something like that. Personally, I plan to drive this Mini (when I get it, someday, somehow...) for at least 7 or 8, maybe longer. I want to get as many options I might grow to use (since I don't have them now) because I'd rather not regret passing on them in a few months or years time. Heck, I got the cold weather package despite living in Florida! Why? Because it's not inconcieveable that I move back to Chicago or the north in 4-5 years and I would rather spend the $300 now than regret it. I originally planned to get the Convenience pack but I couldn't get over $500 for the convenience of not having to take my keys out of my pocket... personal choices. I opted against the Sports Suspension because I'd heard enough people tell me it roughened the ride up a fair amount, and for the type of driving I plan to do, it just wasn't worth it.

It's a maddening process. Wait until the wait starts. I'm still hoping to get a production number soon, and I've had my deposit in since November. Here's hoping Week 10 numbers get assigned soon!

Make sure to look around on here for others with comments and feedback about the ordering process and the pitfalls associated with it. Since you're buying sight-unseen, it's never bad to have too much information!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Sarcasm

Surfblue--why do you call the DSC "silly"? Might just save your bacon some day, especially with a new driver. I've seen it in action on a BMW...
I call it "silly" because I ordered it on my very soon to be delivered 07 MCS. It's called SARCASM. Figured if I was going with sport suspension and LSD, I might as well give that a try too. It does have an on/off switch, so I'll do some experimenting with it. Being 62 and having owned 62 Mini Cooper (sold to help with a cash buy on the 07) doesn't qualify me as a new driver.

"I don't like small cars, or real big women, but somehow I always seem to find myself in em" - Kid Rock

Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Okay, glad you cleared that up. I mentioned new driver because the original poster is getting this as a first car right after getting his (her?) license.

P.S. I'm of the same generation--just a few years behind you, but with a "senior" husband...

Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And finally, the specs on the Mini vs. Mini S manual vs auto, according to Mini.co.uk:
Just remember the Imperial Gallons vs US Gallons in the MPG figures, and those are estimates based on the European test cycle, which differs from the EPA cycle. So they're good for comparing with each other, just don't take them to literally if you're in the US.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
A couple of points:

. I had no desire to pay $550 for a nicer steering wheel but it's the only way to get cruise control (helps hold the speeding tickets down - Also invaluable if you do any long distance driving). Another thing, I've seen comments on another site noting that the radio controls are confusing, I don't think they will be if you have control from the steering wheel buttons. My current Prius has these steering wheel controls and it's really nice for making radio/cd changes without taking your eyes off the road.

. My Prius let's me keep the key fob in my pocket. I love it. Once you get used to it you hate the idea of going back to a key.

. I've had cars with rear fog lights before. It's very bright and can make your car considerably easier to see in fog, heavy rain, snow, etc. Also it's handy when you ask a friend to follow your car for whatever reason. It makes it so your car is easy to pick out from the traffic. Also, it only costs $100, it places a switch in that empty spot, and it fills that hole on the back center of your car.

. Definitely get DSC. It's harolded as the most effective safety feature outside of seatbelts you can get. In a couple of years, it's going to be mandantory for every manufacturer to include this.

. I was going to get the automatic because of a knee that sometimes becomes painful on using the clutch. On research and thinking about it, I found it does cost a lot in miles per gallon, it's repair cost over the life of a car is considerably higher than the manual, and I realized that the reason I wanted a Mini Cooper in the first place is because it's a blast to drive. The manual transmission is a big part of that driving fun. I finally decided on the manual, to heck with the knee pain (live with it Ken). It was a close decision because the paddle shifters make the auto, in a way, like a manual.

. I like your options package. I was going to get the MC with lots of 'stuff' but ultimately decided on the MCS with the fewest possible options. I ordered a sparkling silver ($450) with Dynamic Stability Control ($500), the Cruise Control steering wheel ($550) and the rear fog light ($100). Total package ($23,500).

. I chose the MCS because I love the thrill of driving a turbo driven engine, I like the more aggressive look of the MCS, and on deciding on manual transmission I didn't want to wait 'til the MC offered it. Actually though, I think the MC with manual is going to still be a blast to drive (been reading the European Mini forums).

P.S. I suspect I nearly drove my dealer nuts with all my mind changing. But now the car is built and sitting in port waiting on a "transport vessle".
I get excited just talking about it. Damn, sure wish that ship would hurry up.

On making your decision, just handle it like a corporate manager would. You listen to everyone's input then you make your decision based on your own judgement that's more than likely been tweaked some by that outside input. It's your call; only you have the big picture of who you are and what you personally want in a car.

Quick Reply: R56 Quick Question and Opinions wanted!