R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NAM @ the R56 Press Launch

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:32 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally Off topic but...

Originally Posted by camelpilot
The R56 is a car designed for mass production for weak minded individuals, by accountants. The R53 was designed by passion and dedication, and was withdrawn from production because it's profit margin was not worth the number of vehicles BMW was producing, which was over 300% more than was anticipated from market research. Dont be fooled. Know the truth. Only R53s Motor.

I'd love to know some sources for this information, or at least a better understanding of the statement, as it comes across a bit sour-grapes-y to me. I mean, honestly, like only one type of Mini "motors". What kind of elitist arrogance crap is that? I hope I'm misunderstanding, but somehow the statement says a lot more about the author than any model of Mini. If this is all some sort of sarcastic statement belittling all those casting judgement on the R56 without even having driving it, Camelpilot, please accept my apologies.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:06 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
I think camelpilot likes the attention his/her signature is giving him/her. I think ignoring such statements is the best course.
I Pity the Fool!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:12 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Alright Designer, thanks. Will do.

After some of the things I've seen on here, particularly the spiteful "manual vs. automatic" discussions, I have learned one thing during my relatively short time on here and Mini2: Some people take the fun out of driving for others, and that's DEFINITELY not what Minis are about! Talk about irony...

Alright, Dave... let's hear more about these EXCELLENT, AWESOME, OUTSTANDING, and most of all FUN new Minis!!

(And I'm only a little biased on that since mine's going to be on the way shortly!!)

Old 02-04-2007, 03:17 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
jmelrose ...don't forget that all of us weak minded individuals will be driving faster cars. We must remember to thank the accountants.

dean.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:22 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice photos.

What a cool curvy road you found!
Sure wish AZ would give you a killer sunrise.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:24 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by azminiman

It looks like I can finally use those lower cupholders, the other ones were a bit out of reach and the other cupholder blocked it

Old 02-04-2007, 06:52 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
What is the purpose of the little half-circle 'plug' on the bumper to the left of the license plate?

Old 02-04-2007, 07:02 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by beedeejay
What is the purpose of the little half-circle 'plug' on the bumper to the left of the license plate?
I think its the new location for the tow hook

Old 02-04-2007, 07:47 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Dave.... what's better 16" or 17" wheels? In terms of handling/road feel etc.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:56 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Also, what did u enjoy more on the track? The GP or the R56?

The GP is not theirs.. Its mine.. I just took it out on the track that they are testing the R56s on... I was just there molesting the cars with a couple of our club members. I couldnt just sit there in a parking lot with a whole bunch of little orange cones making a test track... So i just went for it... Maybe I should have asked first... but what the heck

Last edited by azminiman; 02-04-2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 02-04-2007, 08:03 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by jmelrose
I'd love to know some sources for this information, or at least a better understanding of the statement, as it comes across a bit sour-grapes-y to me. I mean, honestly, like only one type of Mini "motors". What kind of elitist arrogance crap is that? I hope I'm misunderstanding, but somehow the statement says a lot more about the author than any model of Mini. If this is all some sort of sarcastic statement belittling all those casting judgement on the R56 without even having driving it, Camelpilot, please accept my apologies.

After you read up on your MINI history, come back and talk to me about the statement in the sig.

Until then, don't take it too personal.

I'll release a full explaination of my sig in the next week or too, when I get time. Alot of people are curious about it.

It's not there for attention. It's not there to offend. It's there to educate. Educate people like you, who obviously don't know the order of events that brought about the R53, and eventually the R56.

Do you even know about the R53?

The R56 is a great car, designed by a great team of engineers, no doubts there.

It's just not as genuine as an R53. And not as good.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Dave,

Does the yellow MINI look as orange-y in person as it does in pictures? I was thinking of ordering a yellow R56 with black roof and stripes but that yellow is just too close to orange IMHO. Maybe laser blue would be better for me...

BTW Dave, would you please ask if the chrome grille can be had on the MCS? Thanks!

Old 02-04-2007, 09:23 PM
lava
5th Gear
I'll release a full explaination of my sig in the next week or too, when I get time. Alot of people are curious about it.
Yeah - you do that professor camel. In the meantime the R56 is getting great reviews on its driving and handling characteristics.

I’m happy to say that the R56 is still a MINI - the tradition of the R50 and R53 from 2001 - 2006. It’s every bit as much fun as the R53 on the track and easier to live with on the road.
http://motoringfile.com/2007/02/04/2...t-impressions/

He did not mention it coming with any of that "genuine goodness" though. Too bad for us.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:56 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
I know I should leave this lie, but...

It's just not as genuine as an R53. And not as good.
I'll look forward to reading your explanation. Please be sure to also include an explanation of "genuine" in your writeup, along with what prevents the R56 from being able to "Motor." Maybe throw some specifics on "not as good" in as well, please.

Don't get me wrong... maybe the R56 is revised and edited by accountants, as you indicate. Maybe God himself brought down the blueprints for the R53 from on high and said this is the car he intended for Motoring in. But aren't most great products started with some transcendent moment of inspiration, and everything afterwards was just a dirivitive of the initial concept? Isn't that the definition of evolution? I would point out most great products such as the Sony Walkman, the Disney-style Theme Park, Ben & Jerry's ice cream, Apple computers... all end up being successful due to that initial spark of inspiration, but then evolve as part of a corporate structure. Is the Magic Kingdom in Florida a less "genuine" experience because Walt wasn't involved with it? (After you read up on your Disney parks history, come back and talk to me about that statement, if you need to.) I would say: No, it was another example of inspiration evolving as it has to in order to meet the needs of the times and the current-day consumer. Or, in this case, driver. And does the current Mini still do that?

A car's motoring value is dictated by its owner, and how its driven. The bottom line, it would seem, for any REAL driver is not the "why" the car was put together but the "how." After all, once you're using ANY product, the motivation may inspire the "how," or it might not. But either way, it's the end product's quality which is dictated by the how. Do engineers and accountants come into play with the "how"? Sure, and they did on the R53. The question should be, did they get in the way of creating a great car that provides the Mini driving experience? Well, there's no way for an individual to know without driving one. After all, motoring is a personal experience!

At any rate, considering I just got done listening to Gabe over at Motoringfile rave about how great all his test drives have been in the R56, it sure sounds to me like some more "genuine" motoring will be taking place in this generation. When he's behind the wheel confirming over and over again how the car feels like a Mini, when countless reviews say the new version still "drives like a Mini." Well, it sure sounds to me like if it's not genuine, it's sure going to be fooling a lot of people. And if that's the case, at the very least I'll admit to being fine with letting the good folks in Oxford pull their British wool over my eyes.

And like you said, I won't take it too personal. I'll read up on my history. I don't particularly love history... but I have learned that history is always what dictates who the good guys or bad guys were. I would imagine a similar analogy can be drawn in regards to cars. Since THIS car isn't even out a year yet, when I read that sig I just find that there are some crediblity issues declaring it to not be "genuine" and not as "good" as the previous iteration.

And I've rambled on far too long. Dave, any more news on this shallow shell of evil motoring?

Old 02-04-2007, 10:53 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Well I just listened to an AMAZING MotoringFile/WhiteRoofRadio preview of the R56.. Gabe was on the track testing out some cars, and of course he was with dave on that last run! :P

Sounded like tons of fun...

I was amazed to hear of all the praises he gave to the R56.. He seemed to have loved every bit of it and actually said it seemed better then the R53 when the Sports Button was on.. He mentioned the Button was MINI's way of saying "Hey want to have fun like the R53... Then hit this button! If not keep it off and do casual driving"

I was very dissapointed to hear that the exhaust burble is gone from the US R56 due to the complaints they received from the R53 customers.. I do see it a ton on NAM, where someone will post asking "What is this popping noise?" All those questions/complaints must have hit MINIUSA and they fixed it with an ECU change.. Hopefully something can be worked out for that.

Also another dissapointing thing is that MINI seems confident they have this car under a bit more of a lock then the R53... It looks like it won't be so easy for aftermarketers like we originally thought so that was kind of a downer.. But overall I can't wait.. Just the sound of the car from the phone sounded phenomenal, and all the great comments sounded great.

Can't wait to hear full write ups.... Dreaming of my MINI day by day.. just a few more weeks!

Old 02-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
all I can say... the car is a delight to drive.... and it's very happy compared to the R53... which (most likely due to parasitic drag of the SC) feels sluggish in comparison... for all kinda reason... and I expacted to hate it... laugh at it.. and feel as though it would be the end of MINI... yet the R56 has me excited... and handles, drives and just has as much fin as the R53... and in some ways... more!

Old 02-04-2007, 11:10 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I drove the R56 MC 6-speed, R56 MC Auto, and R56 MCS 6-speed today. We drove the cars in the city, on the highways, on backroads, in an autcross, and on the track.

I'm going to bold this next part because it is important

It may be cut from a finer weave of cloth than the R50/R53, but the R56 *does* hold true to being "MINI."

The R56 MC and MCS deserve the MINI name and they are simply pushing the game forward in ways that the R50/R53 couldn't. Yes, the R56 isn't as ragged, but just because it doesn't jar your teeth going over cattle grates at speed or that the suspension makes the car feel much more composed, doesn't mean the R56 is soft, far from.

Another example of being more refined: the car is deceptively quick, to the point where, on a few instances today we were suprized to find ourselves in NAM Site Guidelines types of speeds because of the smooth and unstressed power delivery AND the quieter interior. I don't see this as being a bad thing, just something that takes a bit of getting use to.

Autocrossing the R56 MC

I flogged the R50 MC today in the autocross. Having autocrossing my R50 MC, I was very happy with the performance of the R56 MC in both 6-speed and automatic formats. Interestingly I was faster in the auto than I was in the manual. Why? A good portion of that answer lies in the tires. The manuals that we had for the autocross were 15" tires and the automatic had 16" tires. MINIUSA basically ran the event like an SCCA autocross where your first three runs were timed for prizes. In retrospect I should have gone with the automatic, but even with the smaller 15" tires on the stick, I set fastest time of day in the autocross. Then in the afternoon, I took out the MC automatic and was able to shave almost 1.5 seconds off my previous best time in the manual. The automatic justacooper was much more competitive than I was expecting. Future owners of both justacoopers will be very happy.

At the Track with the R56 MC and MCS

You can listen to the White Roof Radio episode with Gabe and I on the track with the R56 MC and MCS here Again, suffice it to say that both cars do hold true to the "MINI" handling characteristics we have all come to appreciate as current owners.

The Interior
If you spec'd the lounge leather you made a very good call. Of the upholstery combinations we saw at this event, I absolutely fell in love with the red lounge leather. The interior as a whole is a very nice step forward in materials. The design of the center stack remains the low point of the interior for me. However, the rest of the interior more than makes up for it.

Would I buy an R56?
I personally would not. However, that is only because we know the clubman is right around the corner and I'm confident that MINI will deliver the goods. If it weren't for the clubman, I definitely would be now planning on getting an R56.

That's my update for tonight. Off to get some sleep and drive back to Los Angeles tomorrow morning.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Night Dave... and great write up... I completely agree

Old 02-04-2007, 11:20 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Awesome write up.. Great to hear of your opinions dave!

Can't wait to here a more indepth analysis from you and Gabe early this week! (Let me stress "early" as I can't wait :P)

Old 02-04-2007, 11:22 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Ok, NOW.... I'm off to bed.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:35 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dave
Ok, NOW.... I'm off to bed.

I thought I would be bored of the Sparkling Silver color because my dad has this mercedes from 1989 in sparkling silver, but I really like it on the MINI

Old 02-04-2007, 11:58 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Where are the gaps?

They appear to have dissapeared.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:50 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Great review, Dave. I can't wait to hear the WRR review on my way to work this morning.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:51 AM
mininovice
3rd Gear
That's the best shot yet of the sparkling silver/ black! I can't wait.....

Old 02-05-2007, 04:07 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Dave,

Is there any news from the press event regarding the audio package being available in 3/07, as the website still says?

I just read on Motoringfile the hypersport is now an April build option, so maybe these last options have finally been straightened out, although I realize there's no tie between them.

Quick Reply: R56 NAM @ the R56 Press Launch