R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NAM @ the R56 Press Launch

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't recall any mention of the radio package slipping.

Expanded Boot Storage

The next couple photos show the flip-out hooks that allow the rear seat backs to be locked into place in a totally 90 degree orientation. This allows for more room in the boot area with the seat backs locked.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by camelpilot
It's just not as genuine as an R53. And not as good.
Not as good? Sounds like an opinion to me ...and one contrary to everything I have read from those that have actually driven the car.

dean.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little late to ask, but were there any R56's there with the Blue/Black Cloth/Leather combo?

Great work Dave, thanks
(And naturally it was "Work" right? You didn't enjoy ANY of it, did you? )

Old 02-05-2007, 06:26 AM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They ought to put the burble "on" with the sports button!

Those dang R53 posers! Com'on - who was complaining bout the burble - fess up.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lava
They ought to put the burble "on" with the sports button!

Those dang R53 posers! Com'on - who was complaining bout the burble - fess up.
I agree with the return of the burbles through the sport button. I hope that we will be able to request at least an ECU flash to return the snap, crackle, and pop to our R56 if we desire.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:48 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dave
I don't recall any mention of the radio package slipping.
Dave,

If you're still out in AZ... or if anyone reading knows more about this, I'd love to hear. My MA and Gabe at Motoringfile both have reported the audio package to be delayed until summer, along with the hypersport package. I would REALLY love to have it installed but I'm not willing to wait on such a minor item, and one which should be pretty easily added aftermarket.

Motoringfile ran an article about it over a month ago, a dark day in my Mini ordering process. However, MiniUSA (which I have come to realize knows fairly little, it seems) and the website both list is as available as of 3/07.

I also am wondering when they will update the site correcting some of the little glitches in prices etc as well as making the 3/07 items selectable on the configurator. Seems like that should be due any day now!

Thanks much for anyone who can share any news on these issues!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Dave, GREAT job on everything!!
Thanks so much for all the work you have done here!
It's all been very helpful.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:08 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Oh by the way,
Cargo nets; is the net in the cargo area a standard in one of the models?
I had heard something about a net in the passenger area as well, is that there?
Tks
Jim

Old 02-05-2007, 11:17 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dave
Ok, NOW.... I'm off to bed.

gawd... that's beautiful... I hated the sparkling silver the configuratur depicted, so I went with Dark Silver with a White top. Glad I spe'd the Redwood Red, at least. Man, I can't wait. Thanks, Dave!

Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
The more and more i see of the r56 the more i think I tried to photshop it into a rollerskate. it is to big, bulky and portly looking. I am so glad i bought another r53

Old 02-05-2007, 06:56 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Wait to you see one on person

I live in AZ and went to see them for myself. If you think the R56 is ugly then you must not like your R53. They are not that much different looking in person. If you saw one driving down the road you probably would not notice from a distance. Why is everyone bashing the R56? It looks great in person as does the R53.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:57 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mikeg4572
I live in AZ and went to see them for myself. If you think the R56 is ugly then you must not like your R53. They are not that much different looking in person. If you saw one driving down the road you probably would not notice from a distance. Why is everyone bashing the R56? It looks great in person as does the R53.
I havent seen one in person, but I agree, they do look very similar

Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
Trust me they are nice. I think its funny how many people hate on different aspects of the R56 and they have never seen one or driven one. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.......but honestly.........at least make an opinion based on SOMETHING besides a picture.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:04 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before this whole R50/R53 to R56 comparison thing I had no idea how totally deceptive photos can be for critical analysis. What an eye-opener!! I'm very anxious to see R56 in person at the dealer, although I admit I'm already am a massively huge fan. (not that I'm huge...my affection for R56 is huge)

Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
Well I will see it in person in a few weeks and give my impressions then. But from what i have seen i like the r53 more. I have seen tons of pictures and Not one (interior or Exterior) does anything for me on the r56.

And as for saying I must not like my r53, Don't put your thoughts in my head.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:34 PM
mikeg4572
5th Gear
I have an R53. Please judge it after you see it. Then at least you can sound more intelligent.
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Old 02-05-2007, 07:45 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
I'll eat my words if seeing it in person changes my Mind. But I doubt that will happen.

Some people seem a bit to sensative over here. I stated iI don't like it and why and everyone's defense is you have not seen it in person so you don't know anything, your not intelligent. So from what I gather every photographer out there has made the new Mini look UGLY then!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:54 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vdubdoug
I'll eat my words if seeing it in person changes my Mind. But I doubt that will happen.

Some people seem a bit to sensative over here. I stated iI don't like it and why and everyone's defense is you have not seen it in person so you don't know anything, your not intelligent. So from what I gather every photographer out there has made the new Mini look UGLY then!!!
people really should wait until they see it in person. Especially the colors... i am here in AZ and let me tell you i was the biggest fan of the R53 and very very skeptical on the 2007s. I am a changed man! i love the new r56's. Wait untill you guys see them and see the showrooms, and then drive a new one. Seriously i didn't think it was possible, but afterworking for MINI day in and day out i never thought i could get the excitment back of when i first started... but i was wrong... the r56 has definetly returned the excitement that the original car gave me.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:06 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I think that, given all the reports, it may be more fair so say one prefers (even vastly) the look of R53 over R56. To say it is ugly may be percieved as an extreme view (even though we may really think so). Of course, one is free to make such statements, but they will draw ire...so don't be surprised. Extremely polarized views are probably unnecessary at this point...it's clear there's much to love (and even not love) about both models.

Personally, I'm delighted our folks at the launch feel energized about the marque (and it's future) in it's newest incarnation...it's good for all of us.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:06 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
What I find most interesting about this profile view is just how much more space the boot has--looking at where the rear seat headrest is. Not that I have a problem with the space in the boot of the R53, but it is substantially more forward that I expected from the picture below.

I saw the new MINI at a focus group many months ago, and I didn't like the look back then, and I think I still feel that way about the Cooper. I think the R56 looks more familiar though to past generations. Doesn't bother me as much. Thanks for the writeups and photos Dave!

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 02-05-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vdubdoug
Some people seem a bit to sensative over here. I stated iI don't like it and why and everyone's defense is you have not seen it in person so you don't know anything, your not intelligent.
I think the problem is that many R53 owners have said they don't like the looks of the new model, but instead of leaving it at that, they feel a need to convince everyone else of the same opinion.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
I think the problem is that many R53 owners have said they don't like the looks of the new model, but instead of leaving it at that, they feel a need to convince everyone else of the same opinion.
I think I've said it before, but it's a testament to the sheer power of the MINI marketing machine that so many people think that the 1st gen fell from Heaven in a perfect balance between form and function, was designed not by a business unit of a for-profit business that wanted to sell cars and make money by exploiting a niche, but rather sprung fully formed from the loins of passionate, inspired designers that had possessed only the burning desire to create the perfect automobile and that any perceptible change is akin to burning the collected works of Leonardo Da Vinci and we should be grateful that such an anomaly could ever occur in the multinational automobile industry -- a brief, shining moment that will likely never happen again.

Last edited by dwdyer; 02-05-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2007, 11:06 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The R56 looks great. I'm glad I ordered the car.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:21 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
I think I've said it before, but it's a testament to the sheer power of the MINI marketing machine that so many people think that the 1st gen fell from Heaven in a perfect balance between form and function, was designed not by a business unit of a for-profit business that wanted to sell cars and make money by exploiting a niche, but rather sprung fully formed from the loins of passionate, inspired designers that had possessed only the burning desire to create the perfect automobile and that any perceptible change is akin to burning the collected works of Leonardo Da Vinci and we should be grateful that such an anomaly could ever occur in the multinational automobile industry -- a brief, shining moment that will likely never happen again.

Oh man... Camelman's sig is loading up its guns now!!

Thanks for echoing what I posted Sunday night... I was beginning to think I was the only one seeing things this way. I guess I get the Kool-Aid at the same time as the car...

Old 02-06-2007, 07:46 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dwdyer

Very well said.

dean.

Quick Reply: R56 NAM @ the R56 Press Launch