R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Analysis of 2nd. gen. faults and fixes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Analysis of 2nd. gen. faults and fixes

Having felt a great deal of concern After reading the European Mini forum’s 2nd gen faults and fixes segment, I decided to read in detail all 45 postings along with their many sub postings to ferret out the real story. I logged the results on a spreadsheet and here’s what I learned.

. There were several (8 – some multiple) early growing pains quality problems that are no longer showing up. These had people pretty concerned for a while (November and part of December). For instance, leaking fuel pump problems were of great concern (safety issue). There were also rattles, squeaks, pieces falling off, and whatever.

. There were six non-issues (also, I deleted another 4 that shouldn’t even have been posted in this topic string).

. There were six one-of-a-kind irritants that were repaired or are being repaired by Mini.

. There were six little issues that were quickly fixed.

. There were 5 minor irritant issues.

. There were five issues that turned out to be operator misunderstandings.

. There were three issues that fell in the category of, “Nature of the Beast”.

. And, finally, there were three issues that warrant watching:

…. Gearbox problems (5 of them). These non-catastrophic issues are currently being addressed by Mini. It’s worth going to that site and reading what popey, craig, tracywebb, aisling and ichy600 have to say. It’s worth it to know what to look, listen, and feel for as we test-drive our new cars. http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...-problems.html

…. Upgrade speaker problems (several). Fixed by Mini but check out those speakers when you take ownership of your car.

…. One case of Obviously lousy workmanship along with poor QC. Only once, but this kind of thing stands out glaringly. If I had been the owner I’d have not accepted the car.

Anyhow, what looked scary and horrible to me at first viewing (2nd. Gen. faults and fixes) turned out to be nothing really to lose any sleep over. There are a lot of postings there that have nothing but glowing things to say about their new MCs and MCSs. I'm not a bit concerned about this very few folks who have experienced legimate issues.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 AM
msh441
6th Gear
WOW Ken!!!

Nicely done.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:11 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Thanks Ken! You're Aces!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:08 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Gear Box Question

Were the gearbox problems MC or MCS, manual or automatic

Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Those were manuals... the automatics (which have a seperate thread on Mini2) have been getting rave reviews however by everyone who has driven one. Sounds like those should be very satisfying daily driving experience, even if not as track-worthy (at least, according to Gabe @ Motoringfile).

By the way, Ken: Great work. Very cool to read, and see the impression I was getting statistically proven!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Ken, thank you so much for investigating this as far as you did! The information is priceless and will hopefully answer a lot of the questions and worries people are having. Awesome!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This website and the members of the MINI community never cease to amaze me.

Excellent thread, Ken. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:31 AM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Ken, Thank You ! You saved a lot of us a lot of time, excellent summary

Old 02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Great job Ken!

Now figure out how many people on there have a 2nd gen in thier possesion and give us percentages.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 PM
mini-s-man
2nd Gear
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your analysis. I’m sure it took a great deal of time.

I’m very interested in buying a MINI because of it's fun-to-drive factor. However, having driven Toyotas for the past 20+ years, I've come to value Toyota reliability. Consequently, I’ve been reading about the R56S on the MINI forums hoping to find assurance about the reliability of the MINI brand.

(The following excerpts are from: http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-faults-fixes/)

FWIW:
  • When a new ($$,$$$) car has issues with the engine or transmission (the most important & expensive components), that’s a red flag. It makes me wonder about the long-term reliability of that model. If a car is problematic when new, what will it be like when it’s older?
  • Per Mikeythemini (England),
    2/6/07 The parts situation on the R56 is terrible, I've had some parts on back order since November & still no date
    If parts are this difficult to obtain in England, how long will it take to acquire parts on our side of the “pond”?
Gearbox Problems!!!!
Jan 23rd, 2007
I noticed a strange noise with my gear box in the past week or so. It happens when changing down gears, like a loud grinding noise.

Car went in yesterday, great service (Woodmans) and got a very nice Park Lane cooper also had 2 phone calls to keep me informed. "MINI Technical" have advised that they remove the gearbox, inspect the fly wheel and report there findings.

I will keep you all up to date with this on this thread.
Jan 24th, 2007
Day 3

Ive been told there is some "play" in the flywheel, problem as been reported and just wating news from mini technical.
Jan 26th, 2007
Day 5

The car will be off the road now for 2 to 3 weeks as we wait for the parts to arrive. MINI UK have agreed to make a months payment for the disappointment.

Have to say its been great service from all at Woodmans , just gutted that Ive had this problem
2/6/07
My Flywheel has landed at the dealer, just waiting for the clutch which could be up to another 3 weeks.

My worry is that the noise could still be in the gearbox its self, the only part not getting replaced.

MINI have no method in place for this problem. I was told mine was the first one, and its not fixed yet.
2/7/07
Just had news that the clutch "should" be at the dealers by the end of the week. Thats a bit of good news.
The following issue (not specifically mentioned in your analysis) also doesn’t inspire confidence in the integrity of the body and/or MINI’s quality assurance process:

I'm currently without my S due to.....
Jan 16th, 2007
The car lets in water, a lot of it, in the gap between the roof and the tailgate. Driving away at the wrong angle when it's wet leads to a downpour onto the parcel shelf and rear seats
2/6/07
Well, had an update. Looks like I'll be in the 320d for a while yet.

Seems they've fixed the steering creak, but the tailgate needs a new latch AND a new handle. The handle (I think it's the handle) is on back order, so it could be some time.
My 2 cents.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
It can look pretty scary when you take little snippets out of context and post them in this manner, can't it.

I could do this with my super reliable Prius on its forum. I could start with the tires that wear out very quickly, then the mileage that deteriates with time, then the gas tank that whooshes the gas back at you if you try to put in more than 8.5 gallons, or the gas gauge problems, or the screaming coolant pump problems, or the steering shaft issues, or the display screen deteriation, or the computer that gets confused, or maybe the stopping for no apparent reason in snow or mud issues.

When I had my 2002 Audi A4 it was possible to find lots of pretty serious situations with very little digging on its forum. Had I compressed together little worst case snippets as you've done here, no one visiting that forum would have ever considered buying one of those cars. Actually it ultimately turned out to be an excellent car and truly fun to drive, but the reliability for a while made the R56 look flawless by comparison. I traded it in for my reliable Toyota Prius. What, you ask, is the price of all that Toyota reliability? .. It's a boring drive. It's good 'transportation'.

I'm glad you're happy with your 20+ years of Toyota ownership. I wish you many years more (sounds like you've made your choice). Personally, after 3 years I've become a little tired of taking the super cautious route. It's time to get some excitement back into the experience of driving.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:12 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
mini-s-man you only post the worst case scenarios .. ugh

Old 02-08-2007, 02:51 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Forums

Had I listened to the forums and taken them at face value, verbatim, I wouldn't have bought my wife's 2004 Honda Accord. Had I listened to just forums, I wouldn't have bought one of the most reliable cars on the planet. 3 years, nothing but oil changes and a couple of air filters so far. Nobody posts great motoring experiences with Honda, but do with MINI.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini-s-man
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your analysis. I’m sure it took a great deal of time.

I’m very interested in buying a MINI because of it's fun-to-drive factor. However, having driven Toyotas for the past 20+ years, I've come to value Toyota reliability. Consequently, I’ve been reading about the R56S on the MINI forums hoping to find assurance about the reliability of the MINI brand.

(The following excerpts are from: http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-faults-fixes/)

FWIW:
  • When a new ($$,$$$) car has issues with the engine or transmission (the most important & expensive components), that’s a red flag. It makes me wonder about the long-term reliability of that model. If a car is problematic when new, what will it be like when it’s older?
  • Per Mikeythemini (England), If parts are this difficult to obtain in England, how long will it take to acquire parts on our side of the “pond”?
Gearbox Problems!!!!
The following issue (not specifically mentioned in your analysis) also doesn’t inspire confidence in the integrity of the body and/or MINI’s quality assurance process:

I'm currently without my S due to.....
My 2 cents.
If the MINI does not inspire your confidence, then DON'T BUY ONE! Do you expect us to somehow "inspire" you, when your posts show a history of negativity and doubt toward the marque in general? I SAY AGAIN: DO NOT BUY A MINI!! Now, take your two cents and go buy some bubble gum.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:13 PM
kayaktom
2nd Gear
Ken,

Great analysis....You've eased my concerns in a quick snap-shot...I'm going to order soon...right after I see then in person at the Auto Show

Old 02-10-2007, 09:39 AM
mini-s-man
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
It can look pretty scary when you take little snippets out of context and post them in this manner, can't it.
Agreed. However, these quotes are not out of context. They are the actual experience of individual owners. What is not known, is what percentage of MINI owners are experiencing such issues. Do you have any suggestions as to how we can accurately determine the incidence of reliability and quality control issues?

What, you ask, is the price of all that Toyota reliability? .. It's a boring drive. It's good 'transportation'.
I couldn’t agree more. Toyota is a reliable transportation appliance – the logical, cost-effective, “safe choice”. It’s not typically a brand for car enthusiasts. satay-ayam suggested I pick up a used Celica – a good suggestion since it is both fun-to-drive & reliable. However, the C-pillars are so diagonal and wide that the car has significant blind spots for merging. Also, not much headroom, no side-curtains, or stability control.

I'm glad you're happy with your 20+ years of Toyota ownership. I wish you many years more (sounds like you've made your choice). Personally, after 3 years I've become a little tired of taking the super cautious route. It's time to get some excitement back into the experience of driving.
If you’ve tired of your Toyota after only 3 years, imagine how bored I am! After 20+ years of Toyota, I am very tired of driving a “transportation appliance” on my long commute. However, “driving excitement” brings back memories of a brand with below average reliability. Link
Pontiac is driving excitement in Journal: Journal of Consumer Psychology and Volume: 11 and Publication Year: 2001 and Issue: 2
http://www.leaonline.com/doi/abs/10....7663JCP1102_03

Since the MINI Cooper has many positive attributes:
  • Great looking
  • Fun-to-drive
  • Nearly every safety technology
  • Minimal blind spots
  • Reasonable MPG
It is my hope that shining a spotlight on the early experiences of the English MINI owners will inspire MINI / BMW to take quick action to improve quality control, reliability, and part availability issues. If the poll results are any indication, it looks like BMW may be able to significantly increase sales by quickly attending to these issues.

Last edited by mini-s-man; 02-10-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added blue font to emphasize the positive points and hope for a strong & prosperous future for MINI.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
mini-s-man, you make good points that are worthy of their own topic posting. What I take exception to is your earlier graffiti approach, your attacking a positive oriented discussion topic and splattering it with garbage. In my city we have graffiti police who search out and destroy the attempts at blemishing that which is designed to be positive and nourishing for the neighborhood. I think it's obvious that the initial posting here was designed to bring perspective to that which distorts the reality of the Mini Cooper problem areas. Your attempt at bringing this perspective to a halt and forcing the discussion back into the realm of distortion simply breaks the rules of common courtesy and fairness when it comes to civil discussion and debate.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:00 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
mini-s-man
here is a link for you to check out. After reading a few threads maybe you'll think the car in question is complete garbage. After all there is some pretty scary stuff in there. I think you'll find the general consensus to be quite the opposite.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...isplay.php?f=9

Old 02-10-2007, 12:11 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Ken
Well said. Promoting realistic discussions is admirable.
I hope yur thoughts are shared my a majority here.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:12 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
They're not hanging on your every word

It is my hope that shining a spotlight on the early experiences of the English MINI owners will inspire MINI / BMW to take quick action to improve quality control, reliability, and part availability issues. If the poll results are any indication, it looks like BMW may be able to significantly increase sales by quickly attending to these issues.[/quote]

I seriously doubt that the engineers and quality control people at BMW are hanging on your every word. And I'm confident that they are ON TOP OF IT as to quality control issues AS THEY COME UP at the dealerships in the REAL WORLD.
As to increasing sales...my MA mentioned that BMW was increasing USA Mini production numbers for 07 to somewhere above 60k. They will sell every one of them, in spite of your posts; good, bad or indifferent. IF you doubt this, go read all the collective magazine review of the 07 tests. They are OVERWHELMING POSITIVE on all but the smallest things, and driving enthusiasts are going to suck em all up, whether you buy one or stick with your Toyota. Again, you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:43 AM
mini-s-man
2nd Gear
Good companies listen to their customers. Better companies also keep current with forums that are directly related to their products. And if they want to be ahead of the curve, they also care about their potential customer base.

Yes, from what I’ve read, MINI appears to be taking very good care of their customers after their cars have had issues. However, there appears to be a shortage of parts in England that has yet to be rectified.

Yes, the reviews of the R56’s performance have all been very positive. However, the car is too new for anyone to have done a long-term evaluation that would test its reliability. The closest indications of reliability we currently have are the individual reports by mini2 members. However, no one has yet reported what percentage of owners has had issues.