R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To Spec or Not to Spec

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM
StLBrian
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Spec or Not to Spec

So I'm set to order an '07 MC and am going back and forth on options. If anyone has any observations, please post and let me know your thoughgts on the following questions:

1. I'm inclined to get the MC (instead of the MCS) since I don't want run-flats - I've heard they don't last as long as regular tires and are more expensive to replace. I think it'll work well for me since I'm looking for a fun car but don't expect to be tracking it. Has anyone driven an R56 w/ 15" rims with and without the sport suspension? Does the upgrded suspension offer any improvement in everyday driving with the narrower tires?

2. How does Mellow Yellow (with a black top) and a Tuscan Beige sound (with the wood dash, cream color line, chrome-line interior, and standard headliner)? I think I want to go with leather but don't want a dark color (too hot in the summer) and Redwood Lounge is not available with yellow. I think it'll be ok but my backup would be the Black Lounge Leather....

3. Does anyone know if the wood steering wheel is real wood or plastic look-a-like...I remember reading somewhere that it had a 'wood look' option but it would seem odd for Mini to use real wood on the dash but fake stuff on the steering wheel...

4. Has anyone had a chance to compare the new Hi-Fi Sound System to the stock US radio? While I'm not an audiophile, I was a bit disappointed with the 1st Gen base radio. Have things improved or should I spring for the upgrade?

5. Has anyone been able to confirm w/ their MA that the Cold Weather Package still includes heated mirrors? It looks like more of the website has been changed to indicate that the Cold Weather Package is just the heated seats and washer jets...I want heated mirrors but don't really care if they fold.

6. Does anyone have the auto-dimming rearview mirror w/o the garage door opener? If so, does it have inoperative buttons for the garage door opener (like ordering the MFSW w/o the Bluetooth)? The rearview mirror option seems like a good idea but, since I don't have a garage, I don't want to shell out the $200 for an opener...That said, I also don't want inoperative buttons...

Thanks a bunch for your input - I appreciate it.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
R56MCS
Banned
1. Fair point, but you could just change the tyres.
2. I'd go for piano black rather than cream, ties the colours together.
3. Not certain
4. The Boost radio /CD i have is OK, just. Given that you didn't like the R53 std one I'd spring for the upgraded one.
5. Can't help (i'm in UK and specs are different)
6. The mirror only has the popener buttons if you spec the opener, if you don't there are no redundant buttons or blanks fitted.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
spykdpunch
3rd Gear
The only thing I can comment on is the base stereo vs. an upgraded stereo. I test drove an R53 a couple months ago and made sure I sat in a Mini with the base stereo and one with the HK sound system. The difference was night and day. When I'm driving I must feel like I'm enveloped in sound, and the HK certainly did that. (I've spent a lot of money upgrading the sound system in my current car).

I can't compare the R56's base sound system with the hifi (obviously), but if it's anything like the previous gen I would definitely opt for the hifi.

As for your other questions, I'd suggest going to Mini2, as many of those posters have been living with the R56 for a few months now and could offer further insight.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 AM
mininovice
3rd Gear
I am afraid that possibly the cream color line and tuscan beige are not matching, if they don't match it might look odd, If you get 16'' wheels on the cooper they are also run flats, I confirmed with my MA that the cold weather is indeed heated mirrors, jets, and seats. As for the wood wheel Im told by my MA that it's the same real wood as the dash, I hope so because I ordered it thinking so..... I hope this helps you along

Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by StLBrian

1. I'm inclined to get the MC (instead of the MCS) since I don't want run-flats - I've heard they don't last as long as regular tires and are more expensive to replace. I think it'll work well for me since I'm looking for a fun car but don't expect to be tracking it. Has anyone driven an R56 w/ 15" rims with and without the sport suspension? Does the upgrded suspension offer any improvement in everyday driving with the narrower tires?
I hope you have more reasons other than the run flats. Seems like a minor detail to base the decision on. You can swap the tires out or sell them to someone -- no problem. The MCS has the upgraded suspension standard and 16" whls. The upgraded suspension upgrade the sporty nature of the ride making it "harder" which means it's the opposite of what you are looking for -- "any improvement in everyday driving".
2. How does Mellow Yellow (with a black top) and a Tuscan Beige sound (with the wood dash, cream color line, chrome-line interior, and standard headliner)? I think I want to go with leather but don't want a dark color (too hot in the summer) and Redwood Lounge is not available with yellow. I think it'll be ok but my backup would be the Black Lounge Leather....
Just my opininion, but that sounds terrible! Yellow with beige -- argggh!
Any other choice would be better, well maybe not the red -- a little too Ronald McDonald -- a McMINI Look at the leatherette, it's supposed to be very good (I think someone said it looks more leatherlike then some manufacture's leather does) and the recent pictures from the AZ press launch look great. I wish I had ordered it -- I'm getting MCS MY/B with std check dash, check cloth, yellow colorline.
3. Does anyone know if the wood steering wheel is real wood or plastic look-a-like...I remember reading somewhere that it had a 'wood look' option but it would seem odd for Mini to use real wood on the dash but fake stuff on the steering wheel...
Dave mentions this in his review from the same press release.
4. Has anyone had a chance to compare the new Hi-Fi Sound System to the stock US radio? While I'm not an audiophile, I was a bit disappointed with the 1st Gen base radio. Have things improved or should I spring for the upgrade?
The stock radio that was offered in the UK cars is not the same as the US stock radio. Some of the comments above are from UK owners, so it matters where you are buying. The US stock radio is the upgraded UK radio(although the us has an upgrade as well).
5. Has anyone been able to confirm w/ their MA that the Cold Weather Package still includes heated mirrors? It looks like more of the website has been changed to indicate that the Cold Weather Package is just the heated seats and washer jets...I want heated mirrors but don't really care if they fold.
This was discussed in a thead here as well -- do a search. From what I remember it seems the options you are mentioning are 2 seperate options -- when I ordered the cold pkg (the end of Dec) heated mirrors were not part of that package.
6... no comment
[/quote]
Overall I would say if you are in the US wait until you see some models at the dealer. There will be a handful to look at after 2/17. But get there fast because they'll go fast.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:56 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
Just got started today with my production number and the spec sheet from my MA shows the Cold Weather Package has

314 Heated mirrors and washer jets
494 Heated front seats

Hope this helps