R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Horrible Last Minute Second Guessing! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible Last Minute Second Guessing! HELP!!

I'm horribly torn between two interior/exterior combos. I live in Florida, so keeping the car interior a bit cooler with lighter options is something to consider. I am getting a sunroof and tinted windows. It will be a MCS with SatNav and a JCW Aero Kit.

Option 1 (What I was planning on up to now): Lightning Blue, white roof/stripes/windows/wheels, with Tuscan Beige Leather Interior, Anthracite Headliner

Option 2 (What I keep thinking about having seen pics on here): Sparkling Silver, black roof/stripes, silver wheels, Redwood Lounge Leather, Anthracite Headliner

Anyone have any thoughts or great photos of either combo for me to compare? All the configurators (US & UK) images are close to useless, and I have lock in my options by no later than the 16th.

This sudden indecision couldn't come at a worse time! Help!

Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for the sparkling silver, or some light color. I live in florida too, so I know that a lighter color is a definite asset, besides sparkling silver/ black roof stripes combo with or without sunroof is awsome. go for it. By the way, is your window tint factory or dealer add on?. Hope this helps you.!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:13 PM
kookmyers
4th Gear
I am biased towards your second choice as that is what I am getting!

If you are really worried about the sun and heat, i would lean towards a white top. Perhaps the Mini White Moonroof graphic over the top to keep the roof white.

I personally love the mini with the black top so i will be also purchasing a car cover to keep the car cooler....

Old 02-12-2007, 01:21 PM
edubledie
4th Gear
i think im still the only guy that would pick an r50 over the new minis...the new gens lost there MINIness theyre BIG coopers now

Old 02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by edubledie
i think im still the only guy that would pick an r50 over the new minis...the new gens lost there MINIness theyre BIG coopers now
Very constructive. Thanks so much for your help.

dean.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Bolomitch
2nd Gear
This helps how?

I went DS\B with Punch Black leather. In hindsight I really, really wanted the Tuscan Beige interior, but was afraid too many people would have LB. I think you should go with LB\W with the Tuscan Beige, especially in FL. Just my $.02.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:43 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'd think that with a sunroof, the color of the car wouldn't matter that much, but metal conducts heat well, so I'd expect an LB/W to heat up inside more than SS/W. That being said, most of the heat intrusion you experience while driving is direct IR through the glass, so the tinted windows would be good, on the sunroof as well. But the color of the car's body will affect it, in which case I'd go with SS/W. But probably 80% of that recommendation is because I prefer SS over LB. Best thing is to get what appeals to you, and you'll rationalize the consequences.

Still, I'm in Texas and went with DS because I prefer the color. I'm even going with Black Lounge Leather. I know I'm just asking for it, but I will get the windows tinted.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I am not a big fan of the sparkling silver (even though I do like sparkly things ) mostly because you will never be able to wax that color to an amazing shine so I am in the Blue camp

Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
I think the other problem I'm having with is that the Redwood looks more orange-y in a lot of the photos, and that doesn't appeal to me. If it was a burgandy-ish I'd be better with it. However, both it and the Tuscan seem to fare differently in different photos, so I don't know what to make of the color's true shade, as I'm not sure what it is.

My MA is in AZ for the training out there, so I have until at least Wednesday to get opinions and try to figure this out. I'm also wondering how the JCW Aero will look in each color.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I hate to say this, but when it comes to color, it is something you really need to see in the metal.

From the configurator I had narrowed it down to CR and LB. Then when I went to test drive an R53 I drove a CR MCS. That sealed it ...or so I thought.

On the way to work the next morning I saw a DS MCS with black bonnet stripes ...and that was the end of that.

One last bit of advice ...forget about the heat and just get the color you think looks best. MINIs are all about fun ...so put practicality aside and just go with what you think looks cool.

dean.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:21 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
I would go with Silver...or of course you could always look at Pepper White! Sorry I am partial to my color!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jmelrose
I'm horribly torn between two interior/exterior combos. I live in Florida, so keeping the car interior a bit cooler with lighter options is something to consider. I am getting a sunroof and tinted windows. It will be a MCS with SatNav and a JCW Aero Kit.
I live in NY State so I don't have the summers you have so I don't have much input on the heat issue. I have had a sunroof in a previous car and although heavily tinted, I think it increase heat compared to a solid top. That said, if I was in FL I would get either a sunroof or a convertible top, so much for logic.
My second choice was SS so that's my call, which has nothing to do with heat just preference.
Jim

Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Mininess left a long time ago

WRONG! They lost their Mininess when they stopped coming with sliding windows and ten inch wheels. Drive a good 62 Cooper, you'll realize that all the modern Minis are POSERS compared to the very early ten foot box! That doesn't stop me from liking ALL the modern years, either. But if you want MINI...the very basic earliest models are the item. The new "Mini" is a very modern car, and is like comparing a new VW bug with a fifty six oval window ragtop. BUT, there are performance and distance driving benefits if you want to live and drive in the modern world.

As to the actual question posed by the soon to be an owner... go with the lighter color. You can tart it up with stripes or any number of visual mods later on. Pepper white for me for these reasons...but it's YOUR CAR, so buy what YOU LIKE, by all means, and have FUN!!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Go with sparkling silver it is a color that will only gain popularity as people see it be a trend setter not a follower, (Bias alert I have a ss/b on order)

Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
jmelrose
5th Gear
LOL. This is going from bad to worse... And my MA is going to hate me for wanting to change the order again.

My current order again is LB w/white stripes, roof, wheels. Gravity Tucsan interior, JCW aero kit.

So I'm thinking from the photos I've seen that the redwood is more orange-y than I like. I dunno. And Gabe at MF sent me this about the Beige (which is a large part of what headed me down this path):

"My reservations were simply this: the quality isn't near as good as
the lounge leather and the price isn't that different. So if it were
me I'd either spend $900 on the cloth/leather combo (much at actually
holding you in place ans staying cool) or go all out and get the
lounge leather."

So... that brings me to BLACK, the furthest from making sense from a heat perspective. I would love a black interior aside from heat, and I am not sure what the tinting will do to help. Plus there's the sunroof. On top of that, I really have taken a shine to the SS

So... I'm trying to decide between:
LB/W w/Gravity Tuscan (the current)
LB/W w/Carbon Black
SS/b w/Carbon Black
SS/B w/Redwood (if I can get a sense of if the color is truly so orange-y)

I really appreciate everyone's input. I should probably post this on Mini2 and see if anyone there has photos that might help.

Anyone know if the "Dark Grey" color line is the standard, or is it an upgrade? I thought I'd read someplace that the upgraded color lines were of a different texture than the standard.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
Very constructive. Thanks so much for your help.

dean.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:32 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Your not the only one i feel the same way and think the R56 is UGLY.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:53 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Option 1 (What I was planning on up to now): Lightning Blue, white roof/stripes/windows/wheels, with Tuscan Beige Leather Interior, Anthracite Headliner

Option 2 (What I keep thinking about having seen pics on here): Sparkling Silver, black roof/stripes, silver wheels, Redwood Lounge Leather, Anthracite Headliner
Funny.

Your fist combo is exactly what I was thinking before the configurator went live and the first pics started coming out.

Your second option is close to what I ended up with (generally speaking-a gray car and red interior).

I like 'em both. I like #2 more. Then again, I'm predicting 98% of the cars with the Redwood Red interior will be Sparkling Silver with Black tops and stripes. I'm guessing this is because it's what MINI is pushing and we've now seen the combo together (press launch stuff)... not to mention that they look GREAT together .

So it boinls down to this: Do you want the car vibrant on the outside for the world to see... or on the inside for you to enjoy while driving?

Old 02-12-2007, 04:53 PM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
Redwood Lounge Leather! I have heard so much about the classiness of this color, and also how luxuriously comfortable it is. I don't think it's too orange or ugly-looking. It's almost brick-colored. I've seen other cars, non-MINIs, with this similar interior color and it looks great. Plus, it goes with any color exterior.

Also, the Dark Gray colorline isn't standard. I believe the Gotham Grey is. Although I can't say what the difference is. The standard texture is harder than the upgraded colorlines (it's a different PVC foil of some sort).

Old 02-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Ugh, Im getting so tired of the R56 bashing! Seriously, if you dont like the car why are you even over here reading posts about them?

Old 02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
I live in the Southwest, so bright sun and heat is a factor here too. But I've chosen to put my faith in the air conditioning and say the heck with choosing my colors based on outside weather conditions. I'll get what I like. I like the SS MCS with black top. I would like to get the lounge leather, especially after reading the comments from those who have seen it and sat in it at the car shows (those comments also mentioned what a good match it was for the SS). Because I've gotta hold my costs down I'm going to go with the standard leatherette. But if my budget would allow, I'd definitely go with the lounge leather (but not with any of the optional interior color combinations).

Old 02-12-2007, 07:11 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've seen the Redwood leather. It has an orangeish cast to me.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:12 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear

As someone mentioned,
"very constructive..."

Old 02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Anyone have any thoughts or great photos of either combo for me to compare? All the configurators (US & UK) images are close to useless, and I have lock in my options by no later than the 16th.
You have seen the press release photos, right? There's plenty of photos with the SS with Redwood.
Honestly, if I was having this issue, I would hold out until I could see the combos in person. Photos are not going to give you a true feel for the colors and it is just a couple of weeks away and you'll be living with your decision for quite awhile.
Jim

Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Be sure and state that to every R56 owner you meet. That will give a whole new dimension to the "Mini experience".
But remember, your mileage (and your hospital bills) may vary.

Quick Reply: R56 Horrible Last Minute Second Guessing! HELP!!