R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 MC test drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:07 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 MC test drive

At 3:15 this afternoon I had an unforgetable experiance, I went to my dealer and was allowed to test drive a 2007 MC auto. It was Chili red with black roof and mirrors, sunroof, red colorline, leatherette, sport seats, leather MFSW, cold weather package,15" tires.
Let me preface my comments by saying that I am not a drivers driver, I drive to work, and the store, comfort , everyday living with a car are important to me, I ordered a base cooper and that's what I asked to test drive although an S was available.
Well with that said here are my humble impressions: The first thing that I notice is the inside fit and finish, well put together as a package. The colorline material is a soft touch vinyl like material should clean very easily, the mood lighting is standard, good thing I would not have paid for it. Yes paddle shifters are standard, but the automatic can "click" to the left and then acts as a sort of shift on command, A neat feature to have!
The leatherette sport seats are nice and have a substantial feel the "cod" piece is not annoying, IMO. The wheel tilts and telescopes, definitly a nice feature. The armrest is flimsey but necessary in my opnion. The turn signal actually takes some getting used to it has two "settings" the first if you apply a light touch the signal blinks 3 times like if you are changing lanes, a firmer touch and it stays on untill you turn, but unlike any other car I've ever driven it dosen't click or clung back to neutral after you turn, there is no noise that tells you the signal is off, now I admit I had the radio on so it might have been drouned out. There is an AUX port it is well hidden under the far right toggle switches.
The radio is fine for me( i'm admitedly low matinence) but my only gripe is that the controls are in two diffrent spots some in the speedo housing, and the volume 4'' away in the center stack, I had the MFSW but could not master it on such a short drive.
Driving the car: The car had 119 miles on it when I got in so it was very new, the first thing I noticed was that the auto seemed to hold me in a gear for a long time, the rpms got pretty high sometimes before upshifting, I took care of that by shifting for myself when I wanted thanks to those handy paddles. This car had a sport button I did not use it as I test drove through suburbia, lots of stops and starts. My MA said that the sport button is standard. I did not know this! When you want this car to move it really moves, I regret not trying that button, No rattles or pronounced wind noise while driving, all in all a nice step up fron the cvt system that I 1st test drove in July 06'
Well ask any qusstions you want I'll try to give more detailed feedback, my drive was short only 15 miles and about 30 minutes.

I should say i did this drive at Towne MINI in Buffalo NY, it was a car that was in the local auto show, but will now go for sale as they already had an inventory tag on it.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
Great story on your test drive. I am sure that you catch the disease like the rest of us once you take delivery!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:20 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Thanks for the feedback, you lucky dog!
Sounds like fun!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:11 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How lucky to drive a test one so soon. I have to wait till Saturday till we have our launch party here. Well I think I'm going to sneak in late Friday evening and get a sneek peek and drive at one.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Golsco
2nd Gear
"No rattles or pronounced wind noise while driving"

I hope mine's the same. The 06 MCa I tested had some severe wind noise. I was assurred this was not typical.

How was acceleration getting out of 1st and 2nd from a standstill?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:34 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You lucky dog! How did you get a test drive so soon? I'm green with envy.

I'm confused about the turn signals. Do you mean that you have to turn off the signal after the turn??

Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Golsco
"No rattles or pronounced wind noise while driving"

I hope mine's the same. The 06 MCa I tested had some severe wind noise. I was assurred this was not typical.

How was acceleration getting out of 1st and 2nd from a standstill?
Acceleration from a standstill was difficult to assess the dealership is smack in the middle of a busy part of town, so as you might imagine traffic held back the car's full potential

Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
You lucky dog! How did you get a test drive so soon? I'm green with envy.

I'm confused about the turn signals. Do you mean that you have to turn off the signal after the turn??
I knew after I wrote and submitted my thread that I did not explain the turn signals well, I will try again. Let's say you are at a light wating to turn, in this car you would activate the signal as with any other car ,but you notice 2 points of resistance in the signal switch itself a partial activation gets you a momentary signal ( 3 blinks)then it shuts off automatically (without turning the wheel) enough to change lanes or so. While depressing the signal lever fully then engages the signal as is normal. The feel is similar to a power window that can be lowered normally but in the same switch also has an auto down/up feature that is activated when you fully depress the button. Maby this is a common feature in some cars that i am not familiar with, it just struck me as diffrent. The signal turns off automatically but is much queiter than any other car I've driven.

I was very lucky to get this test drive my MA e-mailed me a week ago and offered it. I guess they are keeping the auto show cars that came to Buffalo as part of their allotment, Towne strikes me as a very low key dealership, they are one of the smaller dealers I would think, but their service, so far has been impressive.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:01 PM
C4
Banned
So compared to the Cooper CVT, how do you rate the new Cooper automatic against it?

I am very interested in your comments as in a year from now, we hope to take delivery of a new '08 Clubman with the standard Cooper engine and a 6-speed automatic.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:06 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by C4
So compared to the Cooper CVT, how do you rate the new Cooper automatic against it?

I am very interested in your comments as in a year from now, we hope to take delivery of a new '08 Clubman with the standard Cooper engine and a 6-speed automatic.
It is really no comparison, this car as an auto seems so much faster, not sluggish at all, IMO, It is a busy auto paddles, a clutchless auto mode, I nearly rear ended a guy fooling around with it

Old 02-12-2007, 08:08 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Okay, I understand about the turn signals; BMW does it this way (if I really do understand!). By the way, I believe the number of times it flashes on the first detent is programmable to one, two, or three flashes.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Okay, I understand about the turn signals; BMW does it this way (if I really do understand!). By the way, I believe the number of times it flashes on the first detent is programmable to one, two, or three flashes.
According to the manual, it can be programmed for either one or three flashes.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:16 PM
spykdpunch
3rd Gear
Can be programmed for one flash?? That irritates the heck out of me when other drivers think a single flash is adequate to signal a lane change. Signal first to alert other drives to your intentions, check your mirrors and over your shoulder (still signalling), and finally merge when it's clear.

Sorry for the rant, folks. But people who drive as if they're entitled to every inch of the road should not be driving.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:19 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I've got to agree with you--I wonder what MINI (BMW) was thinking on this one.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Single signal flashes promote the use of hand signals -- the only problem it promotes hand signals from other drivers and I don't mean the friendly MINI waves.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:30 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised, however, the roads were clear of snow. The news we're receiving in CA is that it snowed eleventeen feet in NY and more is on the way.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Originally Posted by designerMINI
Single signal flashes promote the use of hand signals -- the only problem it promotes hand signals from other drivers and I don't mean the friendly MINI waves.
Thats so true, one blink is rude!

Old 02-13-2007, 06:17 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If the choice is one well thought blink vs. none or endless blinks asking for permission and prompting a "go already! :impatient " , I choose one. Think, decide, then signal and do. Never received a non-approved hand signal.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:20 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
You drove the red one. Last night, I drove the yellow 2007 mcs 6 spd. at Towne. It was quick, but I'll still take my 06 mc 6spd. At normal avg speed, it is quick enough for me. The extra power would DEFINITLY get me a ticket.
It was dark out when I drove it, but I did get somewhat the impression, it did seem a little bigger inside and not as "cozy" as mine. Will have to recheck again it in the daylight.

Can't wait for some slightly warmer weather here (above freezing), so I can wash some of the salt off my poor little Alice. She's been a real "peach" for me so far.
Got her back in Aug. It's the first time I like driving again since my 85 GTI, only it's at least twice as much as with my Alice.

Drat! More snow due today. Glad I got her garaged.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 AM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by billie_morini
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised, however, the roads were clear of snow. The news we're receiving in CA is that it snowed eleventeen feet in NY and more is on the way.
YES Oswego NY recieved 11 feet or so, but they are 250 miles from Buffalo, I live just north of the city and haven't had more than a foot of snow at any one time. They recieve "lake effect" snow from lake ontario which is too deep a body of water to freeze thus stopping the snow. I get "lake effect" from lake erie which most winters will freeze over thus stopping the snow from forming, it is 80% frozen now, greatly diminishing the chance for a big storm, and that friends is your MINI weather lesson of the day.........

Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mininovice
YES Oswego NY recieved 11 feet or so

We've had maybe...2" this winter in New England..haha

Old 02-13-2007, 08:29 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
We actually had a mild ice storm this year! Other than that, my daffodils are blooming--a very important time for me!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
We actually had a mild ice storm this year! Other than that, my daffodils are blooming--a very important time for me!
Oh to be back in Texas....

This is my last winter here in New England, then I'm back in Dallas in June.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
I just took a test drive this afternoon and it was so much fun! I was very impressed with the improved ride and the comfortable seats. Like many people said, the center stack doesnt look as high quality as the rest of the interior but it isnt a deal breaker at all. Seeing the car in person helped to allay any of the last few worries I had about the hood and rounded rear. Now waiting for my car to arrive is going to be just that much more difficult!