R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:14 PM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by designerMINI
Send me the specs -- height/width and I'll fix (the best I can) the animated gif in my earlier post showing the R53 morfing into the R56 pictures.
I made both license plates the same size since that seemed like it would the only point of reference that should be identical on both models.
I know of no way to spec it and if you look you will see the R53 is at much more of an angle to the camera than the R56. Also the front ends are much wider than the roof so any adjustments to the roof will be overstated on the front end.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by radiospace
I also got to take a look at a 2007 Mini Cooper S this evening. Sparkling Silver with a black roof and stripes. Red lounge leather. Web-spoke wheels. I would say that I had a different impression of the car than the opinion described above.

First of all the combination of Sparkling Silver, black stripes, web-spokes, and red lounge leather is really stunning. Not only did I not have to look around to figure out which car was the 2007 Cooper S... I could practically see it around the corner with that assertive and elegant visual treatment.

The exterior of the car I thought looked better all the way around than I expected, and I especially liked the nose of the car. Though it frequently appears rather bulbous in photographs, I suspect this is often due to using a wide angle lens while standing close to the car. It is certainly more prominent than the r53 nose, and considerably less cute, but more than makes up for it with an increased sense of sportiness and even seems a little aggressive (the last adjective I'd use to describe the r53 front end).

While both cars are beautiful, in person I actually believe I favor the r56.

Inside I found the car an improvement over the r53 Cooper S. Compared to the 2006 car, the materials seem better, it seems to be a more substantial and luxurious interior. The center console is probably not going to win any awards but neither does it spoil the interior. The fact is, it remains well below your sightline when in a driving position, and the improved dash and speedometer make a much greater impression. (Yes, I even liked the speedometer in person, as ridiculous as it has looked in photographs to me all this time).

All in all I would say that, on introduction, I was pleased in almost every way with the r56 Cooper S. I find that I am pretty hard to please, too, so that was a very nice surprise. I can't wait to take one for a test drive soon.

It looks like you saw a well equipped car vs what I sat in hence the feel of better materials. The center stack is still pretty bad regardless of the interior trim. I would loved to see the Red Lounge leather which is similar to English Leather but that will happen in due time. Hopefully I will have a chance to drive it later today.

Ok just got back from a short spin. The car is quiet when compared to the r53 which gives it the perception of being slower. Even one of the techs commented it didnt feel as quick. With the sport button on this car is quicker compared to the stock r53 MCS. There isn't any lag whatsoever just smooth acceleration. If you stomp on it from a stop there is a minimum amount of torque steer. The gear changes are nice and smooth and comparable to r53. It felt solid when going over some railroad tracks so thats a plus. One thing I did like was the ability to almost drift the car. I've have never done that in the r53. Overall the Mini has done a nice job on the car. Is it good enough for me to sell my 06.......nah I am happy with my car and would miss the SC whine.