R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 oh boy

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 07:15 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh boy

I went by my local dealer tonight (they had already closed) just to see if there were any R56s in the showroom. There were 2! One was the new Silver and it looked great.

I have to say they are cool!!!! Even from a distance. I didn't think I was going to like the interior/dash, but even from a few feet away and a glass in between me, seeing it in 3-D versus pictures, it looks nice. So does the rest of the car and seeing some others on the back lot, you can definitely tell the difference from far away.

I also noticed that one of the cars on the showroom floor had both the front and back sunroof popped up. I didn't know the new ones had that feature! Cool.

Needless to say, it will be a while before I get an R56 because my 06 is new and I love it. But I'm glad to see that I had a good reaction to the R56.

Tomorrow, I'll go loiter and take a closer look!

Congrats to all those taking delivery of R56s!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went by the dealer today and poked around a few R56s, too. I've been a big supporter of R56 and remain so, but I can see where a few features of the car will take some getting used to. I can honestly say that owners of R50/53 have reason to love and stick with that model...as do those opting for R56. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, depending on your perspective and predisposition.

Funny thing was that viewing an R56 from a distance both models seem so, so similar. Up close is where the differences stand out...like the rear hip which is much more pronounced, as is the sense of height in the bonnet area. It all kinda freaked me out, to tell the truth...but then i stood back again and it all looked right in place again. Strange.

I suppose the whole thing will take some time to get used to...but I was happy to drive off in my cheeky little R50. My time for an R56 will come soon enough (November) and I plan to use the time well. By then I expect to have my perfect R56 all designed and it'll be love all over again!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
Too bad my closest dealer is 120 miles away or I'd be sneaking around peeking in windows, too. :D

Old 02-17-2007, 01:59 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
went and sat in them today. they are sweet. I'd buy a new MINI just for that telesoping steering wheel.

i think overall, the car is really nice and i am okay with the interior and the slightly less indented bonnet (two things I thought I was going to not like). didn't get to drive one of course.

the thing I hate the most... the radio controls. not just because they are in the speedo, but they are so small and crammed together. i also don't love the A/C controls on the the right and left. they don't feel like they are easy to turn.

for red lounge leather, piano black and sparkling silver as a color combo. that is sweet! i gotta remind my self that my current MINI is sweet.

what's strange... if I had any other new car that I had just bought in Oct., I wouldn't even be in a car showroom looking at the new ones. there's just something about the MINI that makes you want to keep looking at them.