R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Checklist before picking up the R56

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In case you have the same experience I did: Do not let your clueless MA stick the NAV DVD into the CD slot. It won't hurt the CD player, but it won't run the Nav either. Actually, the bezzle where the CD slot is located in spring-loaded. Push on that corner, where it says DVD Nav, and the bezzle pops off, revealing the slot for the NAV DVD. Make sure the NAV and Voice command is working.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM
heliskyr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the checklist, msh441- printed it out and will use it when we pick up my wife's 07 MCS next Friday!

Cheers

Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
msh441 - Thanks for the checklist.

Just printed it off and will be taking it with me and using it on my delivery day (counting the hours here).

Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
Wow!
what a checklist!
Thanks msh441

Old 12-12-2007, 10:54 AM
TurboBlu
2nd Gear
I've actually seen a few of these list's come through as my stint as a MA.

It never bothers the MA if you want to check everything out, its your car by all means. Most of the MA, i hope, will gladly tell you if something is up so that we can have time to correct it so everything is perfect.

I have had moments where the customer is like 10 minutes away and i notice something like a dent or something like that. I call our dent guy, tell the customers about it and that we are taking care of it. While they are in finance i get it taken care of. We want everybody to be as happy as possible

Again, we welcome the list but please don't point something out thats wrong before you ask if its wrong. If you don't think something is right, ask first. It may supposed to be like that or maybe the MA didn't actually see it and you could politely be saying, is that supposed to be there??? We MA's want to make you happy as possible to we will gladly fix anything we can, heaven forbid something is wrong.

Bring the lists, or make your own, or just ask

Old 12-12-2007, 11:20 AM
gaston
2nd Gear
Check the VIN

Check that the VIN on the car matches the VIN on your documents. This is a difficult error to fix after the fact.

The VIN on my MCS differs from the VIN submitted by the dealer. 5 months after purchase, and many many phone calls to the DMV and the dealer, I still do not have correct registration for the car and the state doesn't think I have insurance. I hope I don't get stopped by the police, have an accident, or need to sell the car. Seems like a trivial error but it is not.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:48 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TurboBlu
Again, we welcome the list but please don't point something out thats wrong before you ask if its wrong. If you don't think something is right, ask first. It may supposed to be like that or maybe the MA didn't actually see it and you could politely be saying, is that supposed to be there??? We MA's want to make you happy as possible to we will gladly fix anything we can, heaven forbid something is wrong.
So is there somthing specific on the list that is "supposed to be like that?" If so, please let me know! I'll be glad to update it.

Last edited by msh441; 12-12-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 PM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Be sure that all the dealer programmable options are programmed the way you want them to be. The reprogramming is free at delivery but most dealers will charge you a hefty fee for reprogramming after that.
Can these be programmed later by myself or can they only be programmed by a dealer?

scratch that, I needed to read further in the thread sorry.

And why is this not a sticky!?!

Last edited by hunsingeruk; 08-10-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:24 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My MA spent quite a while with me on programing, he went completely through it all twice.

Each of the two key fobs you will get can be programed for one drivers preferences, including HiFi settings and presets.

AFAIK you can change any of the programing later, at your lesiure.

Difference is that with your MA, you go completely through all the options in one series of steps.

When you do it yourself with your Owners Manual, each programable setting is found in its own section;

door lock settings here, lighting settings are split among several pages ahead, TPM reset in another section, HiFi has own manual and so on.

For some, the engine must be on and then you must drive a ways, others can be done parked with just ignition on;
(watch out for killing the battery during early 'playing' sessions).

There are some dealer only items to watch out for, such as if you disconected a seat's electronic plug
and then turned ignition on, you would create an airbag warning that only the dealer could reset.

That problem would not be a warranty item, that is the only one I'm aware of, but there must be many others.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Those are some great checklists that I will bring to the dealer! Thanks!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
KenJ
Neutral
Hello Noegel & All,
I just picked up my R56 last week.
MOST IMPORTANT: Please do not get or over pay for extended maintenace or warranty. I made a huge mistake & was ripped off by Hassel Mini in NY. I was told that the extended maintenace package at $2000 was a GREAT deal !! In reality every other dealer charges $1395.
I tried to cancel the contract within the hour & I was LIED to & told that it was impossible to cancel. When in fact you have 5 days.
I want to lodge a formal complaint with MINI USA. I would appreciate any contact or phone numbers or help. THANKS & Good Luck

Old 08-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KenJ
I want to lodge a formal complaint with MINI USA. I would appreciate any contact or phone numbers or help. THANKS & Good Luck
You can try 866-ASK-MINI (866-275-6464). However, MINIUSA doesn't control all dealer programs. You might be better off contacting your local DA if they have defrauded you. Or, perhaps your state has a consumer protection agency.

It has been reported here that some dealers will no longer service MINIs belonging to people who have taken legal action against them. So, be sure you don't want to deal with them in the future.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 PM
KenJ
Neutral
Hi Robin,
Thanks for the phone number & advice.
I'll try calling tomorrow.
I love my mini, it is the best car I have ever driven. It is such a shame that some dealerships just look to rip people off. Oh well , live & learn.
I also want others to learn from my mistake . No one should pay more than $1395 for extended maintenace ! Have a great night

Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
It has been reported here that some dealers will no longer service MINIs belonging to people who have taken legal action against them. So, be sure you don't want to deal with them in the future.
Isn't that a violation of the warranty? (assuming the car is still under warranty)

Old 08-13-2008, 07:15 AM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
Isn't that a violation of the warranty? (assuming the car is still under warranty)
is there a list anywhere on what would void a warrenty?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:26 AM
thejokell
4th Gear
Thank you so much for this list. I'll be using it when I pick up my MINI today!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hunsingeruk
is there a list anywhere on what would void a warrenty?
If there is a comprehensive list, I'd be surprised if it included taking legal action against one dealership.

It seems like if the business is affiliated with MINI, and they are refusing to service an in-warranty MINI... maybe they shouldn't be a MINI dealership. I suspect that MINI corporate would agree.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:59 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
msh441--Thanks for taking the time to compile this list!
I am picking up my MINI tomorrow and I feel much more confident I won't miss anything thanks to your effort!

Originally Posted by TurboBlu
...we welcome the list but please don't point something out thats wrong before you ask if its wrong. If you don't think something is right, ask first. It may supposed to be like that or maybe the MA didn't actually see it and you could politely be saying, is that supposed to be there??? We MA's want to make you happy as possible to we will gladly fix anything we can, heaven forbid something is wrong.
Excellent point TurboBlu! I know my MA is going to be fried by the time I see him tomorrow (he told me they're doing about 20 deliveries tomorrow !). Nonetheless, I want to be sure everything is just so. I'll take my Excel version of this list and go through it item by item, but I will definatley keep your advice in mind. Hopefully it's a good experience for everyone..

Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Tank
1st Gear
Great checklist! It came in handy yesterday. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
mini on
4th Gear
check the moroni look the car over have your salesman go over the car with you and set the programable features leave dealership and enjoy it' s that simple

Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Tank
1st Gear
Oh crap, my MCS didn't come with a moroni...back to the dealer I go.

Thanks, you saved me!

Originally Posted by mini on
check the moroni look the car over have your salesman go over the car with you and set the programable features leave dealership and enjoy it' s that simple

Old 09-30-2008, 03:29 PM
siggiS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KenJ
Hello Noegel & All,
I just picked up my R56 last week.
MOST IMPORTANT: Please do not get or over pay for extended maintenace or warranty. I made a huge mistake & was ripped off by Hassel Mini in NY. I was told that the extended maintenace package at $2000 was a GREAT deal !! In reality every other dealer charges $1395.
I tried to cancel the contract within the hour & I was LIED to & told that it was impossible to cancel. When in fact you have 5 days.
KenJ, what ever came of your complaint? Any news?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
One addition to the list - If you ordered the iPod / USB prep be sure you got the proper cable and adapter. Take your iPod / MP3 player with you and be sure it works to your satisfaction. Same could be said for your Cell phone and it's Bluetooth connection.

Last edited by moe-jiller; 10-01-2008 at 05:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Grimnebulin
3rd Gear
Back from the dead!

Great thread...thanks!

Will use when I pick up my JCW in a few weeks.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 AM
magneto
1st Gear
Awesome thread! I just made a cheat sheet based on this to take to the dealer when my Countryman arrives. Thanks!