R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:15 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
R56

I just got back from test driving the R56 MCS. A few comments. First of all I had the misfortune of driving with the ‘Fun Police.’ I’ve had my deposit down for like 6 months. I got the crappiest mini test drive I’ve ever had. I can’t rev it over 5k. Made a small loop, then came back. With that limited experience I have a few comments:

-The new car is great. I love the steering feel. I love the suspension (this one had sport). I’m glad I have a deposit down. I wish I could get the car sooner. I am just bummed I couldn’t spend more time with it.

-I love the seats. Lounge leather is great. The leatherette is great too. The rake adjustment made it easy for me to be 100% comfortable in this car. As a comparison I jumped in an R53 and felt much less comfortable. The R56 I feel like I’m sitting IN it instead of ON it.

-Radio controls are laid out in a funny way. I definitely grabbed for the tuner **** to adjust the volume a few times. But other than that It isn’t as bad as people have been saying.

-The interior is wonderful. MUCH better than the R53. (Sorry guys it is just an opinion remember). The HVAC controls specifically the vertical fan speed and temperature buttons felt VERY cheap. I can agree with that.
Some Critiques:

-The turnstalk/turnsignal. I think this is honestly the worst part of the car. It’s a weird switch you press down and the stalk doesn’t stay in the position. So it is really weird to try and cancel the turn signal. I found myself unknowingly sigaling the other direction by accident. Shame on mini for having a completely electronic turnsignal. Also the plastic on the stalk felt super cheap.

-Like I said before the ’side’ HVAC controls felt really cheap too.

-The hidden compartment above the glovebox felt a little cheesey too.
Great car though. Anyone buying one will be happy they did. I just wish I could have mine now.
On a side note, don’t drive an MZ4 Coupe right after the mini like I did. :-D

Old 02-17-2007, 07:16 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we honestly gotta find a way to merge all these threads..

BTW: Your dealership sounds evil!

I got to take the car out for 30+ minutes and drive it wherever w/o an MA.. Was fun and it helps the buying experience.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:29 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
They've been cool with the '06s when I thought of buying those, but I guess since I have a deposit down and now I'm a customer they didn't want to spend much time with me. Let's just say it was disappointing. The person that took me out was the sales manager. That also may have something to do with it.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:42 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeez.. My MA has been like a good friend to me. He and I chat at least 2-3 times a week.. just sometimes about life in general. I must say Moritz has A+ Customer Service in Arlington, TX

Old 02-17-2007, 07:51 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man! I had the tires screeching everywhere and all 4 wheels drifting through two good corners on my test drive!

This with my wife in the passenger seat and the 6-foot plus MA squished into the back. Granted, there were a few times I didn't appreciate the center-mounted speedo ... the wife: "Geez, Mike... it doesn't feel like were doing 70... is thT A 20 MPH corner coming up?". Yes, yes it was . The MA was a champ. Not a peep.

I hope I get the same degree of lattitude this Friday when I drive the R56S demo!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:57 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
I don't think Sales Managers become Sales Managers because their bedside manner is great -- Well, that's been my experience anyway.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:53 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Sorry to hear the "fun police" spoiled your enjoyment, go for another drive, it gets better every time.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Yeah I need to take the R56 back out without the fun police. Definitely. I may go back Monday. Who knows. Bottom line though... I WANT the car and I am definitely going to take delivery when it shows up. I CAN'T WAIT.