R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 One More First Drive Report

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One More First Drive Report

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Dear Mini Folk,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I want to add my response to driving the new Mini. I went to Sandi Mini here in Albuquerque NM, and drove an 2007 Cooper S. Having ordered a Mini Cooper S without seeing or driving it, the test drive greatly reduced any nascent buyers remorse. The car felt faster than its published figures prepared me for. Best of all, it has a wide power band and pulls hard from quite low in the car’s rev range. No torque steer, but the steering becomes tighter under acceleration. Not a problem, I think, just something to get used to. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The brakes were strong, although I only did two hard straight line stops. The ABS could be felt, but just a jiggle in the pedal. There was no pulsing or other peculiar behavior. I did not have a chance to push the car on a curve, or to trail brake, etc. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The car felt planted and solid. I did not hear any noises from the car other than those normally expected when driving a tight, well silenced car. I did not hear an exhaust sound, but did heave the windows up because it was rather cool. The clutch had a light feel and a smooth take up. When I started off from a stop for the first time on a very slight upgrade, it was easy to get moving without recourse to the throttle. Gear shift action is solid and the car seems to “want” to go to the needed gear, a good thing when there are six possibilities. No notchiness, and a light touch was sufficient to move the gear change lever. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The visibility was very good. Mirrors were well placed of adequate size. Vision to the right rear by looking over the shoulder was good in this right-hand drive car. The window sticker obscured any viewing over the left shoulder. I did not mess with the radio very much, but its basic function and sound seemed good for a stock car. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Having a very messed up back, I am always keen to sit in a car to see how the seats are. When it comes to sitting I am a sort of canary in the mine. If a car’s seat is comfortable for me, I imagine everyone else would love it. As soon as I sat in the driver’s seat I was reassured. Good general comfort. Good lumbar support. Good range of adjustments, especially when they are used in conjunction with the steering wheel adjustment. Just a bit of tweaking of levers and I was ready to motor—as they say. It took but a few seconds to create a seating position that was about perfect for me for street driving (oops, make that motoring). For autox I would change things, but the adjustment was ample to create a good position. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]This well be a bit vague, but those who know cars and machinery well will probably understand. The car just looks right. The build quality was good in terms of fit and finish. Design was good according to my eye. Looking in the engine bay was reassuring. The packing remains tight—as in many modern cars—but less so than in the earlier Minis that I have seen. All is neat and tidy, things are laid out well, and detailing was good. I had a chance to look at the greasy side of an 07 Cooper that was on a rack. The same qualities just detailed are evident on the underside, too. The exhaust system his a straight path from front to back of the car.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]To someone accustomed to Hondas and old BMWs, the interior was busy and strongly stated. I’m not sure which dash trim the car had, but it was a sort of checked aluminum. In addition to being comfortable, the seats looked good. The have the same checked cloth that I ordered, so I’m pleased to see that it looks good, better in fact, than on the configuration page (I can’t make myself use` the abominable the name that Mini uses for the feature). [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]If I think of other things later, I’ll post them as well. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Joe Stephenson [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad your test drive went so well...now all you have to do is survive til your own R56 shows up!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 07:04 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for your assessment Joe.