R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Test Drive - R56 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skiploder
Do you need a hug?

Originally Posted by Skiploder
Your bad experiences with those neanderthals at the Porsche Forums have exposed you to the dark side of the human condition. Have faith in the Mini flock - with the exception of a few bad apples, we all usually find a way to kiss and make up in the end
True. And the Iconic traditions are embedded forever. It would be a shame if that happened in the MINI culture.

Originally Posted by Edge
Whoa, hold on Art. There's absolutely nothing wrong with constructive criticism from both 1st Gen and 2nd Gen owners (or soon-to-be owners).
Agreed, if constructive. But a lot of the posts, coming from R53 owners were not constructive ... they turned very defensive and got the threads locked down. Yes ... the bad apples but their "feelings" are strong. From a little acorn, a might oak does grow All I'm saying is that if trend continues ... I'm guessing it will fragment the culture ... or not. Depends upon how vocal the bashing gets.

Besides, I seem to recall a certain member who was constantly poking fun and deriding the GP not too long ago... to the point they had to be asked to back off by the moderators, as the posts were too divisive. <cough>
And I've been a good boy and said nothing in that forum since

Just as the R53 owners need to realize that the R56 is here to stay, and no amount of griping or complaining will ever bring the R53 back into production... the new R56 owners in the community also need to realize that comparisons are inevitable, and we love our cars, so passions will be high. Don't be defensive! Be happy! You'll love your new MINI! ...

The community will pull through this. Easily. Right now it's just the "shock factor" (not to mention "new car excitement" factor for soon-to-be owners)that is causing the heightened emotions.
This could be true. Shock factor and no longer the big kid on the block getting all the attention is a factor. But also, many people don't like change and seek solace in what they know.

Open discussion, all opinions and thoughts are cool.

My real point in this is that ... maybe its just the "rush of the annoucement" ... the excitement, etc. But I KNOW from experience ... just as Skippy inferred above, IF and that is an IF, the dislike of then car becomes embedded into the culture (and it might not) ... it can get ugly, more ugly than you can imagine ... something you can't possibly understand unless you've been part of such an experience ... and all within the same car makers line of cars.

Not saying it will happen, hope it won't happen, and Dave is correct in shutting down quickly the threads that get out of hand because that will tend to catch it it in the bud.

I'll let it go at that ... but remember my line. The first time you read, in seriousness from someone ...

REAL MINIs are supercharged
... game over.

Lets hope it dont happen

Old 02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But doesn't mentioning instances/attitudes from other threads gone wrong as examples in a thread that was pretty good make it a self fulfilling prophesy? Just a thought, but if prior fouls are called up in new threads there will never be a balanced discussion and Mini Peace Accord

Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by eVal
But doesn't mentioning instances/attitudes from other threads gone wrong as examples in a thread that was pretty good make it a self fulfilling prophesy? Just a thought, but if prior fouls are called up in new threads there will never be a balanced discussion and Mini Peace Accord
Accord? No, no Accords here. No Civics or Preludes either. Just Coopers, and lots of them!

Old 02-22-2007, 07:32 PM
chopperace
2nd Gear
Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Accord? No, no Accords here. No Civics or Preludes either. Just Coopers, and lots of them!
Dohhhhh, you gonna make me have a Fit

Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
My 2 cents,this comparison between the two cars mentioned above,remind me when Porsche began selling the 911.Seems like the same chatter happened when comparing to the 356,I think old v new always will happen.Q

Old 02-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by eVal
Dohhhhh, you gonna make me have a Fit
Now now, don't have an Element-al Fit, or we'll all end up wanting to go on a long Odyssey up the S2000 feet to the Ridgeline, from where we can get out the guitar, strike Accord, compose a Prelude, and gaze at the Civic horizon Insight. I don't know about you, but I CR-aVe s'more toasted marshmellows! Let's stay and watch Del Sol rise!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Homme
2nd Gear
Now now, don't have an Element-al Fit, or we'll all end up wanting to go on a long Odyssey up the S2000 feet to the Ridgeline, from where we can get out the guitar, strike Accord, compose a Prelude, and gaze at the Civic horizon Insight. I don't know about you, but I CR-aVe s'more toasted marshmellows! Let's stay and watch Del Sol rise!
Asimo man, just asimo.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Well folks, there are 111 posts here (some with multiple sections).

. 29% (40) of these are from 2 people.

. 76% (16) of the 21 criticizing posts are from these same two people.

. The individual that posted the most in each of these two categories stated that he no longer owns a Mini.

. There are 18 posts from individuals expressing concern about all the negativity.

. There are 30 positive posts with no particular individuals dominating.

. There are 35 neutral posts with no particular individuals dominating.

I'm concerned because most folks visiting this site have no desire to join or post. All they're doing is researcing the 2007 Mini Cooper. They want to read both the good and the bad so they might be well informed. The two individuals mentioned above make it seem like there's a lot of negative feelings about the R56. But if you throw out the criticizing posts by these two then you find 5 negative posts and 30 positive posts. You sure wouldn't get that impression by following this string would you.

Sorry if I upset a couple of people here but maybe they don't realize how much of an impact they're making or what kind of effect they're having on visiting folks who simply want to research the owners feelings about the R56.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 AM
C4
Banned
Ken, lighten up buddy. You seem to over analyze life quite a bit. Having a different perspective on the car you are so fanatically in love with, doesn't make those with "negative" opinions any less credible and much less trolls

Yeah, that car that you claim I hate (strong word, isn't it?) is pretty much in my future. We are on the waiting list for a new '08 Clubman which is your car, 18 inches longer with a rear door

While your statistical post dissection analysis is interesting, doesn't prove much of anything and just shows that perhaps you have a little too much free time on your hands.

But carry on my friend, I for one has been criticized in this forum for being a R56 hater. Incredible how some dare to issue opinions about you without even knowing who you are. You got to love the 'net!

Originally Posted by Ken Cooper

. The individual that posted the most in each of these two categories stated that he no longer owns a Mini.

. There are 18 posts from individuals expressing concern about all the negativity.

I'm concerned because most folks visiting this site have no desire to join or post. All they're doing is researcing the 2007 Mini Cooper. They want to read both the good and the bad so they might be well informed. The two individuals mentioned above make it seem like there's a lot of negative feelings about the R56. But if you throw out the criticizing posts by these two then you find 5 negative posts and 30 positive posts. You sure wouldn't get that impression by following this string would you.

Sorry if I upset a couple of people here but maybe they don't realize how much of an impact they're making or what kind of effect they're having on visiting folks who simply want to research the owners feelings about the R56.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once again Ken clears up the smokescreen with some analysis Sherlock Holmes would be proud of.

amazing the damage one or two people can cause.

Of course Ken, be prepared for some flames from at least a couple people.

edit:

shoots my post was a bit too late.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:35 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Once again Ken clears up the smokescreen with some analysis Sherlock Holmes would be proud of.

amazing the damage one or two people can cause.

Of course Ken, be prepared for some flames from at least a couple people.

edit:

shoots my post was a bit too late.
What smokes screen?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:46 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Again, another case of letting a few "bad apples" spoil the bunch. The problem is nowhere near as widespread as you seem to suggest.
The analysis below confirms your statements if by widespread you mean not many people posting (and reposting) negative stuff.

But if you throw out the criticizing posts by these two then you find 5 negative posts and 30 positive posts. .

Kinda like how looking at MINI2s problem log seems there to show there are abundant and widespread problems. Ken showed it was a few cars with problems that got talked about a lot which made it seem like a pandemic.

Ken, how many negative posts about R53s did you find? (I'm to lazy to do the research myself)

Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 AM
C4
Banned
Edge, hats off to you for a very nicely put post. I had not seen it but feel I am in total agreement with your analysis. Too bad that some folks here can interpret this as "hate" for the R56 Too bad for them

I just test drove the R56 for the first time this afternoon.

Hmmm... I like it, as a car. It's a nice car. However, I am glad I have my R53, and I hope to God I never total it.

I see the R53 as more "enthusiast-targeted" and the R56 as more "fun mainstream-targeted". That doesn't make the R56 worse, it just means the design goals changed.

The R56 is not only bigger, it feels bigger too. And yes, it feels more refined... refinement is nice, but it comes at a loss of "connectedness" to the car and the road. To the average MINI buyer, that's not a big deal. The vast majority of R56 buyers (i.e. those that we will never see here on NAM) will just want a fun, cute car that is reliable and feels solid. The R56 meets all of those demands.

I think the difference is brought home with how the engines feel. The R56 Turbo has very nice low-end torque. There's an eager surge on the low end that gives the car some kick... kick that the R53 didn't have as much, unless you invested in some go-faster aftermarket parts (e.g. pulley) or the JCW kit. However, as you rev the engine up, it looses gusto. The power pull fades away (yes, even with the Sport mode turned on). In contrast, the supercharged engine in the R53 may not start up as strong, but it pulls and pulls, all the way to the redline, with a gusto (and beautiful whine cresendo) that makes running through the gears a symphony all to its own.

However, look back at my comparison. What kind of driver is going to want to run the gears all the way through? An enthusiast. Most daily-drivers don't have any interest in that. However, the daily drivers will appreciate the extra low-end torque to get the car moving, especially during overtaking maneuvers or merging onto the highway. More often than not, I'll bet these drivers don't plan on shifting any later than 4,500 or 5,000 rpm most of the time anyway.

The turbo is definitely a better-suited engine for a daily-driver car than the super is.

And that, my fellow MINI-loving friends, is what I feel epitomizes the difference in design philosophy between the two cars.

Am I saying that an R56-owner can't be an enthusiast? No, of course not. I'm simply saying that the original design intent of the R56 is different than the R53. In time, the aftermarket is likely to do all kinds of interesting things with the R56, and likely turn it into a faster and more "sporty" car than the R53...

But stock vs. stock, the cars are very different, no doubt about it. Anyone who doesn't think so clearly hasn't spent much time with the R50/R53.

I welcome the R56 owners to the MINI community with open arms, and I am not trying to pass judgements on you or the reasons for choosing an R56. I still think it's a great car, and I look forward to seeing what happens with it as time moves on... especially the JCW (when they figure out the heat issues or whatever is causing problems). But I'll keep my R53, thank you very much.

Neither car is "better" in every respect. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. They are just different, which one you prefer is entirely based upon your own personal preferences. My personal preferences tell me that the R53 is the better car for me. And I'm happy with that!I entirely disagree. Cars DO have character, very much so. Owners may change the character further, but different car designs are absolutely different in character. Remember, just as human owners can affect their personal vehicle's character... who designed all the different cars out there? Different humans! Presto - different character as handed down by the different designers.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:43 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Interesting review/perspective, Edge.

It does make me ache to see what's going to come out in the aftermarket world, though (but don't mention that to my wife... or my banker ).

So, the challange will be how to keep the low end torque while tuning for higher RPM power. Force feed the airbox? Mass flow filter? Exhaust? ECU programming to crank up the boost... or even a different turbo?:impatient

Man, the next couple years are going to be very interesting, indeed.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:04 AM
C4
Banned
msh441, I think the real challenge with the new turbo engine is heat control.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Just a comment. My wife got the first MINI in our family (her '05 MCSa) because it was cute (she really, really liked the looks). Although she taught me to drive a stick many moons ago, she now prefers an automatic. After driving her MINI (once or twice a week), I bought my '06 MCS. I bought it because I like the handling and performance and because the car looks good to me. It isn't perfect, but then again, no car is perfect. I can nit pick about every car I have ever driven (even the ones that I loved). When I bought my MINI, I was torn about waiting for the R56. The supercharger vs turbo wasn't a big deal to me, in fact, I would love to have the R56 engine in my MINI. My MINI is a daily driver and I'd love to get better gas mileage while retaining the good acceleration that I have now.

As our MINI's are so new, an R56 isn't in our immediate future but I am really keeping an eye out for the Clubman! I hope that the chrono pack makes a reappearance (I love more choices) and I look forward to following all future development of the MINI. I think the roads and this forum are big enough to support both the R53 and the R56. Skiploder, I did appreciate reading your first post about your initial test drive reactions of the R56 - seemed balanced and honest to me.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Homme
2nd Gear

What's your methodology? What defines a critical post, and what is it those posts are specifically critical of? If a post contains both critical and constructive comments, does it become neutral? Is pessimism the same as negativity? Is it really appropriate to to think of this thread as separate from the other R56 comment threads? Isn't much of the dialogue about this spread out over multiple threads? How do your stats change when you take those into account?

Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Homme
Asimo man, just asimo.
At every Crossroads of a Legend, no matter in the City or near a Stream, there's always something to Inspire.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Skiploder
Banned

Fascinating - utterly fascinating.........

Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Once again MotorMouth fogs up the thread with a bizarre statement that no one really can see the point in.

amazing the damage people can cause when they attach their ego to the car they choose to drive

Of course MotorMouth, be prepared for a couple of people to be flaming.

edit:

shoots my foot is in my mouf!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Skiploder
Banned
I'm Editing My Original Post - Let's All Get Along

Test Drive - R56 MCS
Let me just say that I am one of those early adopters that predicted that the R56 would be better than the R53 in almost every aspect. I openly made this prediction several times on this forum.

This past Saturday and today, I got to test drive a brand spanking new red/black R56 MCS.

I have to say that I immediately fell in love with the exterior. This has been mentioned several times before, most recently by C4, but the fit and finish on the front portion of the car is a perfect. Additionally, the side repeaters and the new front end are, to me, a revelation. A lot of the proportion and visual appeal of the old car has been amplified by a factor of 10. The new car looks like a Salvador Dali painting.

The interior has some nice new elements - the leather seems to be of a better quality and there is an overall better quality to the materials - the center stack is both subtle and understated in its glory

The speedo/climate control/radio combo is pure sex and again, a vast improvement over the R53. I hate to beat it into the ground but alot of the design elements of the new car look like something out of a beuatiful dream. There's something sensous about the new headlights, the car seems in perfect proportion with the wheels and the interior has some orgasmic elements that are - to but it bluntly - sexy.

Anyway, on to driving impressions. As I currently own an Evo, I am comfortable in admitting that I don't put too much of an emphasis on the looks of a car - for me it's 90% in the driving experience.

The new TC engine has a better torque delivery and stays in the sweet spot a bit longer, but I did detect a bit of lag. Additionally, all of the directness of the old car is improved. The steering and handling feels better than every other car on the road, it made me completely forget my long-gone 03 MCS - to me the R56 has improved on every aspect of the R53.

I remember my first test drive of an 02 MCS - I remember the noises, the feel of the whole package. The car came off as a throwback to cars that made a lot of noise, handled like a waterbug and smelled a bit of gasoline and oil. For me, the R53 captured those fall afternoons in my dad's old 911 or TR4A.

The R56 is more refined, scads faster, and it feels like it's retained every bit of the R53's soul. I'm not trying to start a war here, but the R53 can't hold a candle to the R56.

The new car has sanded off these rough edges . This, at least to me, has only added to the character of the first generations MCSs.

It's really about the intangibles. To me, it feels like BMW is above reproach.

Don't get me wrong, the R56 is a fine car, and outclasses the GTIs of the world. Tons of people will buy them and BMW will make alot of money. It completely exceeded what I expected. I guess I expected for BMW to improve on those things that made the R53 so much of a hoot. Instead, it seems like they made the bestest car in the world while at the same time making the car more mainstream.

The whole scene kinda gelled for me when during the test drive I saw a tech from the dealership road testing Sad Arthur (Jerry's 05 JCW MCS) replete with his orange track shoes. I followed Arthur around for a few blocks with the window down, listening to him fart and whine, admiring the clamshell hood and the more integrated look of the old car. At that point it hit me the R56 is the pinnacle of Mini-dom.

Again, just my opinion and I demand that you respect it or die. I insist that you agree, not disagree. I'm trying to change anyone's opinion of the new R56. Just thought I'd post my take on the new car.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:09 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Skiploder, you are on a roll today

And go figure, the thread starter being a dominant poster in his thread Funny, the very people all up in arms about critcism are the same ones turning the thread towards it and focusing on it over and over..

Old 02-23-2007, 09:12 AM
C4
Banned
Skiploder, you have made my day buddy!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 AM
promking
2nd Gear
Just test drove an 07 MCS and will spare you a long winded review. I will say that the new engine is alot of fun when pushed and the car seemed very balanced at speed. I am however a fan of the collective effect my '06's characterisics have on my daily driving experience, and upon returning to my car I drove away with a great sense of peace. I am sure that owners of the '07 will develop the same bond. I thinks it's just great that the Mini is back,evolving, and giving joy to all that decides to turn her key (or push a button).

Quick Reply: R56 Test Drive - R56 MCS