R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ALTA is so Mellow! (R56 update)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:58 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALTA is so Mellow! (R56 update)

Hello folks,

Having been the very fortunate recipient of one of the first R56 models to be delivered in the USA (2007 MCS R56 Mellow Yellow S), I wanted to put down some of my impressions of the car. I was responsible for the break in mileage (completed over the weekend) and I must say I am IMPRESSED! The car was driven on backroads, freeways, gravel, ice, snow, etc. to insure I could give an accurate account of the car in each situation. At no point did I feel the car was victim to early production syndrome of squeeks, rattles etc. (since my car was produced in early December I had been nervous it might be like early R53 models.)

Being fully aware that the revamped exterior looks are a love it or hate it I will stay mostly away from that topic other than to say I think the car looks great in person. The photos don't do it justice. It is an evolutionary change that is similar to the changes to MKI-MKIV classic MINI's. It is not an abomination by any means.

The interior is GREAT. The seats are far more comfortable, the materials far more expensive in feel and appearance, and the revised center stack is really neat. Admittedly, the controls are different than the earlier model, but after a hundred miles they become second nature. Nothing to write home about. The improved on board computer has some excellent new features as does the audio system. The integration between speedo, tach and radio is really nice. Plus the push to start feature and ignition fob are by far the coolest! Comparing it to the Mercedes, Honda and Corvette with similar ideas, this by far the best adaptation of the keyless concept. Mood lighting is really neat as well. Match you lights to your clothing, aftermarket radio, favorite energy drink etc. Nice touch!

This powerplant is far more tractible and linear than the S/C model before it. A common misnomer is that any turbo will produce significant lag. BMW has done an exemplary job of choosing an appropriate sized turbo for this application. Combined with the lighter flywheel and sport mode the power is smooth and responsive. RPM builds far faster than in the R53. However, this turbo will also signify a significant hurdle in terms of making much larger increases in power without a complete change. We will have dyno results very soon with the stock turbo etc., then more shortly thereafter with our first performance mods. (look to www.altaminiperformance.com later today or tomorrow for the first R56 mods available to purchase.) Our R&D department is very excited that this model will allow us opportunity to use our familiarity with turbocharged applications. Taking from our many years of experience with other turbo models ( check out our sister brand at www.perrinperformance.com ) expect to see serious innovation and exclusivity to ALTA with this model. (R53 owners don't fret, we are even more dedicated to this model than ever before. As more R53's fall out of warranty as well as the resale values are finally starting to fall, allowing a greater population to adopt them as a platform for performance, the need for more parts grows greater each day.)

The suspension on this model is of course very similar to the R53 with some marked differences that have already been discussed. I will say that the balance from the factory is better than the R53 and is an excellent jump off point for improvement. I have had some limited seat time in the car with our new rear sway bar and I can say that it still makes a huge improvement. Any of the remaining understeer is completely eliminated. In addition to the sharper throttle response with the sport mode activated, the steering wheel feel is tightened and response heightened. Having first used this technology in my 03 M3 SMG, I can accurately say that the execution in the MINI is really well done. We should hopefully have photos later this week with both coilovers and springs to share with the group. This car has TONS more fender gap than the R53 and it unfortunately gives it a more gangly look. But lowering the car will bring back that appearance of sportiness found on the earlier car. We have a ton of new suspension bits coming for the R56 and many will be available on our website later this week.

Please find the photos attached below showing the car and the progress we have already made. More photos and information will follow in this thread, the Q&A thread and our website.

Also, if I can answer anyones questions please let me know. Finally, check us out Thursday night 9-11pm EST on www.motoringfun.com. We will be discussing this car as well as other upcoming ALTA products and events.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 AM
msh441
6th Gear
WOW!!!

Can't wait to see more pics of the process.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome. Loving your look forward.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:50 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the information and the insights. I look forward to more.

dean.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:56 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Hey guys. Check out the new suspension bits:

Should have more pics of other items later today! We are doing everything we can to get the R56 guys caught up to the R53 guys ASAP!

Stay tuned everyone!

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 02-21-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
lava
5th Gear
Looking at the picture with the front facia off it appears that the radiator spans from the top of the upper grill to the bottom of the lower grill. Where is the turbo intercooler located? I was thinking it was behind the lower grill but that does not look to be the case.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:09 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Very interested in any type of boost control module you can come up with!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:15 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
lava: In that photo we already have the IC off and are working on the replacement. You can see the OEM boost tubes on either side of the bottom of the radiator core.

MotorMouth: Working on it as we speak. Will have photos ASAP!

Thank you guys for all your interest!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
LoL.. Europe has had these cars for quite some time now without any engine/turbo mods... Be hilarious if a US company comes out with go faster goodies within a week or two of the US release.

I hope the boost control module wil let you turn up the boost higher than stock! Not just let you turn it down (what would be the point?)

Old 02-21-2007, 03:33 PM
lava
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
lava: In that photo we already have the IC off and are working on the replacement. You can see the OEM boost tubes on either side of the bottom of the radiator core.
Ahh yes! I see it now. You obviously are way ahead...

Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
IMO Intake has been removed prior to that photo --

Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
MotorMouth: That is the goal! Hope to meet it! I just saw the exhaust and it looks sweet! Should have sound clips soon as well as photos.

lava: Wasn't trying to be jerk if it came off that way. I was only trying to show that you were right in where the IC is placed on the car, but we had already ripped it off.

Thanks guys!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
designer MINI: You are right! Hell even the headlamps, fender skirts, fender liners, etc. have all been removed. I will try to take a few other photos with the clip completely removed later today. Thanks for the interest. Let me know if I can help further.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:46 PM
lava
5th Gear
lava: Wasn't trying to be jerk if it came off that way.
Not at all.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:59 PM
newbs49
Banned
Nice work guys. Just don't forget your old R53 friends. I won't tell anyone your old R53 suspension stuff works on the new car.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:11 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
newbs49: If you note above: "(R53 owners don't fret, we are even more dedicated to this model than ever before. As more R53's fall out of warranty as well as the resale values are finally starting to fall, allowing a greater population to adopt them as a platform for performance, the need for more parts grows greater each day.)"

Also, since we have had this car for sometime, please don't assume that R53 parts are interchangable. Of course due to similarities between the two platforms some R53 ALTA parts have been used/modified as starting points for the parts you see above. As noted on our website we are taking pre-orders for the R56 items to be shipped in the near future, but not available today. Thanks for the support! (We are currently trying the supercharger pulley this afternoon, but we are having difficulty locating where to install it ;-)

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 02-21-2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-21-2007, 05:01 PM
newbs49
Banned
Thanks. Just keep up the good work and products. Check your warranty registration papers. My name is on a lot of them. More to come as my GP wakes up from it's winter rest in Buffalo.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:04 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
newbs49: Will do! Good luck thawing out! Talk to you soon!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Adam,

that's one shiny sweet looking exhaust in your vendor thread!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
The R56 mods look great. Any news on Carb certification for the R53 CAI or is that a lost cause?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:07 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Hey guys. Check out the new suspension bits:

Should have more pics of other items later today! We are doing everything we can to get the R56 guys caught up to the R53 guys ASAP!

Stay tuned everyone!
Oh, man!!!

Adam, take this in the way it's intended: YOU JERK!!!

I'm just mustering up the dough to put down a respectable down payment and FINALLY buy a new MINI after years of lusting! Now you tempt me with THIS STUFF!?!

I'm AT LEAST 6-12 months away from being able to do any trick bits... but that bar and hardware is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Larry Clemens: Thanks for the compliment! Not a lost cause. But yell at ARB not me ;-) They are the ones dragging their heals. We have everything done.

Back to the R56!

MotorMouth: Thanks! Trying to get sound clips up today or tomorrow. It sounds as good as it looks!

msh441: I will be sure to hold whatever you want till you are ready! Enjoy the new car and congrats. I saw that same combo at our local dealer and it looked so sweet! Made me jealous!

Thanks guys!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by lava
Looking at the picture with the front facia off it appears that the radiator spans from the top of the upper grill to the bottom of the lower grill. Where is the turbo intercooler located? I was thinking it was behind the lower grill but that does not look to be the case.
If you look at this photo, the stock IC is running across the lower 40% of the bottom grille, and as Alta said above, the IC was already removed in the photo they showed in the first post.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:57 AM
lava
5th Gear
Ahh - yes, thanks Dave. You can see the edge of the radiator and the IC in your photo. Is there a space between the back of the bottom fascia and the air dam? What I mean is does the air dam force air up and through the IC?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn. Now I gotta buy a new car and start over again.

Quick Reply: R56 ALTA is so Mellow! (R56 update)