R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Standard v. Sport Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard v. Sport Suspension?

During the test drives and purchases of 2007 MINIs, has anyone been able to test drive the standard and sport suspensions to get a feel for the differences?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
My MA told me they haven't received any cars with the Sport suspension. I don't know if it's like that everywhere or just at that dealer.

Zip

Old 02-24-2007, 08:41 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Only one that I've seen in KC... and it's all mine

Can't wait to pick it up Monday!!

(Disclaimer I may be wrong...I can't say I've looked at every R56 on their three different lots... I may have missed ONE)

Old 02-25-2007, 04:41 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove both yesterday, in MC trim. It was only about a 5 mile test for each, but over freeway joints, rough side streets, and a longish 'S' sweeper.

I liked both for different reasons. The standard suspension was the smoothest and quietest on the rough stuff, as expected. However, it also stayed in contact with the road. So, it is not soft, as much as it is a bit more compliant when compared to the sport suspension.

On smoothe roads I really could not tell much difference between the two suspensions, until I got into the long sweeper. The sports suspension really came into its own there. The handling inspired ocnfidence. Entry into the sweeper with the regular suspension was a tad unsettling at speed. But it quickly sat into the line and held it as well as the sport suspension.

On the rough roads, the sports suspension was firm, but not harsh. I'd say it you are considering lowering your MC, you might as well start with the sport suspension.

I will be ordering mine without the sport suspension. The only reason for my decision ended up being due to longevity. I think (my opinion) the car will hold up better with the normal suspension. Less jolts and jerks to the interior.

If you are lucky enough to drive on mostly good road conditions and you like tossing your car about, then the sport suspension should be a no-brainer.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Some of the early reviews indicate that the standard suspension is good and OK for most owners for street use. Even the base Cooper with standard suspension is fine.

If you have more performance, track or autocross in mind then the sport suspension option and LSD for the MCS is worth a look.

I have not read that the sport suspension is too stiff even with runflats.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:37 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
I'll let you know when I pick up the car Monday afternoon

Old 02-25-2007, 06:54 PM
lou
2nd Gear
sport suspension

Sport suspension needs to be activated each trip...a real pain?
Driving without the sports suspension on would probably be good for longer commutes but is not as FUN as the tighter feel. With the "sports" activated it seemed more like the real MINI handling in my opinion.

Fun either way. The DSC warning light on the tach face will make you well aware of the change.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
sport vs standard.

I actually had an opportunity to have a test drive with a sport suspension and 17" equpped car over a rough canyon rd. I drove the non sport suspension car with 16" wheels.

I have to say if you're looking for a similar R53 like ride definitely get the SS and the 17" wheels. If you're faint of heart and you are not buying the car specifically for performance/autocrossing you may want to not get the SS. The suspension is TIGHT. Hard springs etc. GREAT GREAT road feel. Hardly any body roll, and it just tears up the road.

I would guess the 16" with the standard suspension would be a better 'cruising' car.

It is all up to personal preference. I'd try both, but I'm guessing most people won't opt for sport just for every day driving.

EDIT: With the SS It's also fairly easy to hang the rear out which is a hoot.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:04 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lou
Sport suspension needs to be activated each trip...a real pain?
Driving without the sports suspension on would probably be good for longer commutes but is not as FUN as the tighter feel. With the "sports" activated it seemed more like the real MINI handling in my opinion.

Fun either way. The DSC warning light on the tach face will make you well aware of the change.
Sorry Lou, but unless I'm severely mistaken, Sport Suspension on the R56 (or any MINI or BMW) is not an active suspension in any way. It's stiffer shocks, springs and a rear sway bar. No magic button, no magnetic suspension, electronically adjustable shocks or any of that. That Sport button only changes ECU (and thus throttle response) and steering assist level.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:19 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I occasionally have to lug passengers (in my Cooper), I'll go with the standard suspension. As has been stated it is quite good for the bulk of one's driving. Some folks want/need more though.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
It should be noted. On smooth roads, you really cannot tell the difference between the standard and sport suspensions unless you are really hanging the car out there. It really shows itself at the edge of the envelope.

During modest or normal driving, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. Again, in smooth roads.

On anything but smooth roads, the sport suspeniosn does remind you it is all about sport. Not harsh, just firm and it does translate into making the cabin a bit more noisier.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:08 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
I'm getting the standard suspension, but if I later install a rear, and maybe a front sway bar, will the car retain the comfortable ride but handle the twisties a little flatter and with more grip? I don't plan on going to the track for anything more than driving school. What do you folks think?

Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mcarlo52
will the car retain the comfortable ride but handle the twisties a little flatter and with more grip? I don't plan on going to the track for anything more than driving school. What do you folks think?
I think your ride comfort will remain the same. A rear sway is a good mod, but you won't be able to appreciate it unless you are really pushing it in corners. If you're not going to be doing that, I've always wondered how beneficial this mod would really be. That's why I've never done it.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
Thanks, Skuzzy and Fjork. Your responses were exactly what I needed to know about the differences.
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
EDIT: With the SS It's also fairly easy to hang the rear out which is a hoot.
Definitely sounds like the Sport suspension increases the fun factor on the R56! w00t for the h00t!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 08:46 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I think your ride comfort will remain the same. A rear sway is a good mod, but you won't be able to appreciate it unless you are really pushing it in corners. If you're not going to be doing that, I've always wondered how beneficial this mod would really be. That's why I've never done it.
That's just one of the mods I'm thinking of eventually having done. But I first have to get the car. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego
Sorry Lou, but unless I'm severely mistaken, Sport Suspension on the R56 (or any MINI or BMW) is not an active suspension in any way. It's stiffer shocks, springs and a rear sway bar. No magic button, no magnetic suspension, electronically adjustable shocks or any of that. That Sport button only changes ECU (and thus throttle response) and steering assist level.
Seems like one is talking about the sport suspension option and another is talking about the "sport" button.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I opted for standard suspension, since I plan on ripping it all off anyway!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:28 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
IMHO Sport suspension still feels smoother than the regular suspension on the R50/R53. I haven't even come close to pushing the car yet, but in my 44 miles so far the ride feels smoother than it did in the R50/R53.. for whatever that's worth.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
spec'd sport suspension

I had a chance to take both versions out tonight.

Took the sport suspension out first and I've gota say it reminded me quite a bit of my R53 with SS+. Expansion joints, etc, were felt but it seemed less jarring then my R53. More thud and less clank. Taking a turn at speed there was little body roll. Very fun!

Next up was the regular suspension, same road course. As others have said, it was also really good, but it lacked that little extra I've come to appreciate with my R53. And in the turn - well... that's where I knew I wanted the sports suspension. Too much lean for me.

I guess if you want that R53 feel and don't want to mod your R56, then I think you'd be hard pressed to pass up the sports suspension upgrade.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:02 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
I've read somewhere that the R56 sport suspension is much like the standard suspension of the R53. There was customer feedback that the R53 suspension was too harsh. The R56 I drove had SS and felt good to me on the street. I had no opportunity to push the car on a curve, its road feel and manners were just to my liking.

So actually, if you want the R53 feel the SS on an R56 might be the way to go. Clearly anyone buy an R56 should drive both and make their choice on that. I plan to take part in SCCA autocross in G Stock, so I checked all of the suspension/drivetrain packages. If I decide that I simply must have the standard suspension for some reason it looks as if some of the NAM posters will have the parts on sale.

Happy trails,

Joe

Old 03-01-2007, 03:01 PM
radiospace
2nd Gear
I've briefly driven both suspensions in the R56, though not in directly comparable driving conditions. My quick impression was that I definitely preferred the Sport Suspension (less body roll...lots of fun in the twisties), and I'm talking about for everyday driving. One could get the impression from this thread that the SS is only for hardcore enthusiasts but I'm not sure that's the case. (That said I'd like the opportunity to try out both suspensions back to back on the same road to make a fairer comparison).

Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Jerome81
2nd Gear
I drove a S with sport suspension and 17" Web Spokes wheels.

It wasn't TOO bad when the pavement was fine. However, if you hit a quick bump (like a small frost heave or say, raised pavement due to tree roots, etc), it definitely loses contact with the road. Happened a couple times yesterday. One time was mid corner, and it spooked me a bit.

It was firm/stiff, but only on those instances was it ever truly jarring and disruptive. If you want it tight as can be, I think you'll be happy. For me, I wouldn't get it. I didn't notice much difference in handling between the 16" regular suspension and the 17" sport suspension except in harshness in those situations.

My car would be a daily driver, so freeway ride is somewhat important. I just wouldn't get enough extra handling for $500, and the bad rough-pavement ride makes it even less worth it.

Again, just my opinion. If you like that stuff, you'll find it great. Never harsh or "crashy". Just too firm for me.