R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Front License Plate -- Yes, You Gotta Drill

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front License Plate -- Yes, You Gotta Drill

I may have helped promulgate the impression that there's no drilling for front license plages on the R56. This was based on my impression of what I saw in photos. I deeply regret my initial enthusiasm.

What I know now is that what I thought was a separate piece that could be replaced is not a separate piece.

To mount a front license plate, ya gotta drill holes. There's even a couple of dimples in the front bumper presumable where the holes will go.

But -- it's not for the screws that hold the plate on. There is a front license plate bracket that screws to the bumper, and then the plates will bolt to that.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:11 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwdyer
I may have helped promulgate the impression that there's no drilling for front license plages on the R56. This was based on my impression of what I saw in photos. I deeply regret my initial enthusiasm.

What I know now is that what I thought was a separate piece that could be replaced is not a separate piece.

To mount a front license plate, ya gotta drill holes. There's even a couple of dimples in the front bumper presumable where the holes will go.

But -- it's not for the screws that hold the plate on. There is a front license plate bracket that screws to the bumper, and then the plates will bolt to that.
Meh.. Not putting mine on.. A lot of people in Texas don't with there MINIs and are fine

Old 02-25-2007, 11:15 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a moving violation if you get stopped or just fine?

Old 02-25-2007, 11:23 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Check with your DMV. In many states it is just a set fine and proof of correction.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:59 AM
dneal
4th Gear
You could move to Kansas. They don't have front plates.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Paul_TMQ
1st Gear
I have not looked at where the Tow Hook Eye screws into the front bumber on the R56.

Would GoMiniGo's "No Hole" License Plate Bracket work? http://www.gominigo.com/18545.html

Mine looks great on our '06 MINI.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:34 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
My MA said his "No hole" bracket didn't look like it would work. I think the plate looks better centered and we have cops that watch for this where I work, so we just drilled mine.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:45 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I'll be drilling.....very carefully. That or a tow hook mount. Thing is it appears as if there is a delineated space on the bumper for a license plate...haven't examined it all that carefully though, I'll admit. If the bumper was smooth I think you could get away with mounting off-center in the tow-hook. But with that "space" in the center with body creases of some sort...yup, seems it's gotta go in the center. In any case, it's best to explore all options available before starting up the drill.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:24 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
I would think that if the front plate is required by the state DMV then the dealer would put the fronte plate on. Unless you get temp plates when you take delivery...

Old 02-26-2007, 06:58 AM
johnnymg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer

Mayby not..................

I have mounted license plates on my current cars with RTV............ can be purchased at HD. Works GREAT.

JohnG

Old 02-26-2007, 07:21 AM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
My dealer sent a form for me to sign that states I'll install the license (wink, wink) and the dealer can then be released from any claim I may have if and when I get a "fix-it" ticket. I signed the form and will purchase the tow hook license holder for those occations if they arise. The rest of the time the front will be license free.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:27 AM
pottermom
6th Gear
I don't know about the '07s but I have the no holes tow hook mounted plate holder and it works great (on my '06).

The police and state patrol around Houston are stopping cars now for no front plate. A lot of MINI owners have been getting tickets lately so maybe Texas is stepping up their enforcement. With the no-holes plate I don't have to worry.

I'd recommend it (Karty.... before you get that car drilled definitely check it out! Maybe I'll make it to Estelles before then and you can see it first hand if nobody up there you know has one)

Old 02-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Odd. I was told they were optional at the Lexus dealer, last year, when I bought the car. Is it a county thing now?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I would think there would be a way to install an L-shaped mount that attach's underneath the bumper, that way you aren't drilling any holes in the front of the bumper. The plate on my Accord mounts that way ...maybe I'll try to retrofit it to the MINI when it gets here. Then again, I haven't had a plate on the front of the Accord since I got it ('99) and it has not been an issue yet.

I would think home brewing something to this affect shouldn't be out of the question either.

dean.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Ok, I just researched the Texas Department of Public Safety. The Lexus buttheads lied! I am going to assume the following link has been properly maintained.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_item.htm

Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Skye2
3rd Gear
I have gotten tickets in CA for no front plate. It is just a fixit ticket but now there is a charge to verify that it is actually fixed. I left it on (my Celica) the last time. I've gotten the tickets when parked. Not worth the hassle. It's just one less reason to get pulled over anyway.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:47 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pottermom
Karty.... before you get that car drilled definitely check it out!
PotteraestheticallyperfectlookingMINImom...I think UJ has a home-made one. It does look very nice. The only issue I see that is unique to R56 is that it has two bumper creases right where a plate should theoretically go. It looks like it's beggin' for a center mount.