R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 A plain Cooper review

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A plain Cooper review

I picked up my New MINI Saturday, It is a Cooper, Sparkling silver/ Black roof, 16" bridge spoke wheels. Inside I went with the wood dash cream colorline, chrome gauges, (supposed to be wood) now leather wheel, and cloth checkered sport seats I wanted a classic brittish look with this scheme and I'll tell you it worked even w/o the wood wheel it is sweet!
I want to offer some observations:

1. the cloth is a nice option, not talked about too often it seems easy to clean, and feels substantial like it will wear very well, the checkered pattern is subtle a nice effect.

2. the wood and cream colorline is THE choice if you want a classy interior, it probably will not be too popular but I am more than satisfied with it.

3. I am glad that I did not get the anthricite headliner, I waffled back and forth, without it the cabin feels much more open, as all of the cars I test drove had it. I noticed this difference right away.

4. The tilt telescoping wheel is a blessing and a curse, after my wife drives the car I can not seem to ever get it back to the same spot. It is nice to give everybody a good shot at a nice driving position, and this wheel does that.

5. Outside the car I thind the bridge spoke tires add to the buttoned down look I was after, again on NAM probably not the most popular choice.

6. In person the sparkling silver / black is sharp, everybody who sees it says how much they like the color, it is the first thing out of their mouths.

7. the auto transmission is very smooth, especially compared to my old vw 4 speed. I was told to not use the steptronic mode untill after the break in period.

I don't want to bore anybody rehashing already made points, I'll post some pics tommorow so people can get a better look at the wood interior, and the cloth seats.

I will name him in NAM fashion: Mr Belvedere I will call him, a sometimes akward Brit making his mark in America!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
johnnymg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mininovice
I picked up my New MINI Saturday, It is a Cooper, Sparkling silver/ Black roof, 16" bridge spoke wheels. Inside I went with the wood dash cream colorline, chrome gauges, (supposed to be wood) now leather wheel, and cloth checkered sport seats I wanted a classic brittish look with this scheme and I'll tell you it worked even w/o the wood wheel it is sweet!
I want to offer some observations:

1. the cloth is a nice option, not talked about too often it seems easy to clean, and feels substantial like it will wear very well, the checkered pattern is subtle a nice effect.

2. the wood and cream colorline is THE choice if you want a classy interior, it probably will not be too popular but I am more than satisfied with it.

3. I am glad that I did not get the anthricite headliner, I waffled back and forth, without it the cabin feels much more open, as all of the cars I test drove had it. I noticed this difference right away.

4. The tilt telescoping wheel is a blessing and a curse, after my wife drives the car I can not seem to ever get it back to the same spot. It is nice to give everybody a good shot at a nice driving position, and this wheel does that.

5. Outside the car I thind the bridge spoke tires add to the buttoned down look I was after, again on NAM probably not the most popular choice.

6. In person the sparkling silver / black is sharp, everybody who sees it says how much they like the color, it is the first thing out of their mouths.

7. the auto transmission is very smooth, especially compared to my old vw 4 speed. I was told to not use the steptronic mode untill after the break in period.

I don't want to bore anybody rehashing already made points, I'll post some pics tommorow so people can get a better look at the wood interior, and the cloth seats.

I will name him in NAM fashion: Mr Belvedere I will call him, a sometimes akward Brit making his mark in America!
Big congrats!

When you have a chance please post some pics of the interior. I'm curious about the 'cream' color and wood dash accents.

Thanks
JohnG

Old 02-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Oooh the interior sounds very classy! I look forward to seeing pics, and of course, CONGRATS!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, your car sounds cool and you sound happy. What could be better than that ?!

dean.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:59 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Congrats on your MINi, You do sound happy. Mr B sounds like a right classy chap! Enjoy!!!

Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 PM
srfrman7
3rd Gear
Congrats with your new car! Please post pics!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:36 AM
radiospace
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait to see photos... I'm thinking about a similar spec to yours (wood + cream; Bridgespokes).

Old 02-27-2007, 01:49 AM
kolinar
1st Gear
Mine waiting at the dealer!

My configuration is almost like yours -- same exterior color, wood trim with cream interior, except I ordered mine as MCS, leatherette, and crome interior and exterior. I'm hoping the leatherette won't clash too much — I had no idea how the leatherette looked when I order it.

Anyways, it's sitting at the dealer right now -- I'm gonna go this coming Sunday to pick it up! Can't wait...

Old 02-27-2007, 02:47 AM
glangford
6th Gear
I also have ordered wood dash, but stayed with standard color line interior. Also had wood wheel (now I assume leather). Have leahterette sport seats as well. Mine a Cooper, but in 6 speed manual. (Early April delivery).

How is the drive?

Did your handbrake or other components come in wood as well or did they substitute leather all around?

Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Congrats on the new mini

Old 02-27-2007, 03:53 AM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
I test drove a R56 MC auto and that thing zipped along pretty good. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. The shift points varied a lot with the sport button.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:05 AM
jbalfour
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
Did your handbrake or other components come in wood as well or did they substitute leather all around?
At my dealership they had a wood trim car with a leather wheel. It had the standard shifter and hand brake. I don't know if it was originally ordered with the wood wheel or not. Since the shifter and hand brake are tied in to the wood wheel order, I would guess that the factory just builds it like any other order with leather MFSW.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:14 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Congrats on your new MINI! I look forward to seeing your pics of that gorgeous interior!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
I also have ordered wood dash, but stayed with standard color line interior. Also had wood wheel (now I assume leather). Have leahterette sport seats as well. Mine a Cooper, but in 6 speed manual. (Early April delivery).

How is the drive?

Well the drive is amazing, I've had the car 5 days and already almost 300 miles. weve got snowy roads right now and I'm very impressed with it's winter performance the dsc, and 4 wheel antilock brakes really attack the winter roads well. It cornrs like it's on rails just what I'd hoped for, and thats with standard suspension.
The wood shifter and handbrake are a fuzzy issue now, my dealer Towne, in Buffalo is working to get me those 2 components if available, and will swap them free of charge, i got leather all around, but even with the leather wheel i think the shifter and brake accents will look good, so I'm waiting. I'll have pics by tonight, I'm going out now with my camera to snap some.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Some pics

I hope these pics give a better representation of the wood interior, and the sparkling silver/ black in MC form

Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Sorry the pics are sooooo... small here I'll try again:

Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Old 02-27-2007, 12:29 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Old 02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
More pics in my gallery, have a look

Old 02-27-2007, 12:33 PM
H.A.W.G.
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice, I love the interior

Old 02-27-2007, 12:42 PM
srfrman7
3rd Gear
Great color choice - i really like it!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 PM
princecasanova
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mininovice
Well the drive is amazing, I've had the car 5 days and already almost 300 miles. weve got snowy roads right now and I'm very impressed with it's winter performance the dsc, and 4 wheel antilock brakes really attack the winter roads well. It cornrs like it's on rails just what I'd hoped for, and thats with standard suspension.
The wood shifter and handbrake are a fuzzy issue now, my dealer Towne, in Buffalo is working to get me those 2 components if available, and will swap them free of charge, i got leather all around, but even with the leather wheel i think the shifter and brake accents will look good, so I'm waiting. I'll have pics by tonight, I'm going out now with my camera to snap some.

Nice good idea on adding break accents on your mini dude. i normally recommend that part bec. it helps the owner stabilize the breaks.