R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Please post pictures of your R56 here...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:36 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with the TSW springs and have no regrets about it. The ride and handling is greatly improved. Other springs might go lower however the handling can be an issue especially if you ever are considering putting your car on the track.
yeah, i don't want a harsh ride and don't want to go too low, ...just a tad lower to take some of the height off (but don't want it bottoming out over driveways,etc ...my Porsche does that! -it came stock super low, -not sure that i'll track my MINI anytime soon? ..leaning towards springs.

Camden's so kool!
+1, ..i saw one in person the other day. They have some nice touches (especially factory joey mod!)

Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Originally Posted by IamLili
cool! i like the sig too btw Go Camdens!
I didn't post here before, so here are some pics after we installed a clear bra and tint.

Attached Thumbnails Please post pictures of your R56 here...-img_9918_1.jpg   Please post pictures of your R56 here...-img_9932_1_1.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eR1c
yeah, i don't want a harsh ride and don't want to go too low, ...just a tad lower to take some of the height off (but don't want it bottoming out over driveways,etc ...my Porsche does that! -it came stock super low, -not sure that i'll track my MINI anytime soon? ..leaning towards springs.

+1, ..i saw one in person the other day. They have some nice touches (especially factory joey mod!)

You might take a look at NM's RS alpha springs. Put them on my DD and am more than happy. 30mm (1.2") drop, progressive rate and very high quality. Much improved handling and steering and while the ride is firmer, it's by no means harsh. If you trim 3/8" off the front bump stops, you'll eliminate most of the bottoming. Note: There's a hidden cost to any lowering springs. You need to install adjustable lower rear camber arms, H-Sport in my case. Otherwise you end up with ~2.5deg. negative rear camber. Nice for track/auto-x, but hell on tires! One side benefit you seldom hear mentioned when a MINI is lowered: The front air dam is lowered, too! Ground effects are much improved! Mine now feels like it's on rails at 75mph in strong cross winds.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:50 AM
IamLili
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
NICE!!
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Camden's so kool!
Originally Posted by eR1c
Originally Posted by VMCMDN
I didn't post here before, so here are some pics after we installed a clear bra and tint.
Thanks guys!!!

@VMCMDN (that's a difficult nickname to type - everytime I type it, I have to go over it a few times to ensure I got the letters right) : Glad you like the sig! Thought I'd tap into my creative side - which is pretty limited - while still debating on a gender/name for my S Camden, and then maybe moving on to one of COOPERation's creation! Your pics are gorgeous! Now that's artistry! (Very dark tint huh? Don't think that'd be legal here, but it looks nice!)

Old 05-28-2010, 10:03 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
You might take a look at NM's RS alpha springs. Put them on my DD and am more than happy. 30mm (1.2") drop, progressive rate and very high quality. Much improved handling and steering and while the ride is firmer, it's by no means harsh. If you trim 3/8" off the front bump stops, you'll eliminate most of the bottoming. Note: There's a hidden cost to any lowering springs. You need to install adjustable lower rear camber arms, H-Sport in my case. Otherwise you end up with ~2.5deg. negative rear camber. Nice for track/auto-x, but hell on tires! One side benefit you seldom hear mentioned when a MINI is lowered: The front air dam is lowered, too! Ground effects are much improved! Mine now feels like it's on rails at 75mph in strong cross winds.
-thanks for the tip! -great to know.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VMCMDN
The "Thingy" on the Outer Edge of the Door would be...what??!!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 PM
IamLili
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
The "Thingy" on the Outer Edge of the Door would be...what??!!
Here's the answer (I asked the same question before): https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-post183.html

Old 05-28-2010, 03:46 PM
MrBurns
1st Gear
Hey all, just thought I'd post that my Mini just went on its first road trip last weekend. Drove it from Santa Monica to Oakland, then down to Monterey, and then back to Santa Monica. I spent Saturday and Sunday at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway for the ALMS and Patron GT3 Challenge races. A good friend of mine is a driver in Patron GT3 so it was cool to watch him race both days. I also got some sweet parking both days! This was my "spot" - directly between turns 3 and 4.

Name:  CooperBridge.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  72.6 KB

Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IamLili
Here's the answer (I asked the same question before): https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-post183.html
Thanks for the Link...I should have known it was something like that??!! Me I have Clear Bra there!!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I finally got around to waxing my car today, then I took it to the state park nearby and got it all dirty again

Hopefully the mass amount of pictures doesn't annoy you! I went a little crazy.

And I'm STILL waiting on Aesthetic Creations to mail me my molded door handles and emblems. It's been almost 2 months now.

"Dr. Sexy's Temple"

Old 05-29-2010, 03:04 PM
tmo8462
4th Gear
Looks great Drew, I know you can't wait to get those door handles!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
r56cooper
3rd Gear
exhaust tip + wheel centers and you're 100% blacked out!

looks good!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:38 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Thanks!

Speaking of that, does anyone know where I can get black center caps for Enkei Performance Imola wheels?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 PM
tmo8462
4th Gear
Google my friend google! lol Or try contacting where you got them, tirerack or discount tires and see if they have them.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I finally got around to waxing my car today, then I took it to the state park nearby and got it all dirty again

And I'm STILL waiting on Aesthetic Creations to mail me my molded door handles and emblems. It's been almost 2 months now.

LOL good luck with the molded parts...

Nice pics too btw. Your Mini looks awesome. Do you have any problems with people not seeing it?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Tim- I did Google them haha, but TireRack charges $25 for the same ones that came with the wheels, so I'm guessing black ones would cost that much if not more. $100 for center caps? Maybe I'll just paint them.

Originally Posted by MINIxB
LOL good luck with the molded parts...

Nice pics too btw. Your Mini looks awesome. Do you have any problems with people not seeing it?
Thanks! I haven't had any complaints about it being so dark yet, although it does take me a while to find it in my work parking lot when I get out at night.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 PM
jbewley
5th Gear

"Dr. Sexy's Temple"

How did you do the rear hatch cover above the linense plate?

Jim

Old 05-31-2010, 12:17 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
How did you do the rear hatch cover above the linense plate?

Jim
There are 4 torx screws underneath it that need to be unscrewed, and then there's a plug underneath that needs to be unplugged once you unscrew the whole thing and pull it off. It's really easy, just don't let the wire fall into the car, then it's kind of a pain.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:00 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
There are 4 torx screws underneath it that need to be unscrewed, and then there's a plug underneath that needs to be unplugged once you unscrew the whole thing and pull it off. It's really easy, just don't let the wire fall into the car, then it's kind of a pain.
Thanks, did you use plasta-dip and if so dose it scuff since that part is used?

Jim

Old 05-31-2010, 01:02 PM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
My Mini enjoying a beautiful Southern California day

Attached Thumbnails Please post pictures of your R56 here...-securedownload.jpeg  
Old 05-31-2010, 04:58 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
Thanks, did you use plasta-dip and if so dose it scuff since that part is used?

Jim
Yeah I did. By the end of the summer I'm hoping to get everything painted to match my body color. It hasn't scuffed or faded just take your time with it and allow it a good 8 hours until you put it on your car. Otherwise it seems like it picks up every bit of dust.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:10 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Yeah I did. By the end of the summer I'm hoping to get everything painted to match my body color. It hasn't scuffed or faded just take your time with it and allow it a good 8 hours until you put it on your car. Otherwise it seems like it picks up every bit of dust.
Thanks for the advice. I've used it before and if the part is not normally touched it is fine. I just wasn't sure about the rear part on the hatch.

Jim

Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 PM
tmo8462
4th Gear
Tim- I did Google them haha, but TireRack charges $25 for the same ones that came with the wheels, so I'm guessing black ones would cost that much if not more. $100 for center caps? Maybe I'll just paint them.
haha to funny

Old 06-03-2010, 07:57 AM
J_'09s
5th Gear
Drewstermalloy, nice justa, but your wheel gap is killin me

Old 06-03-2010, 03:28 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Oh trust me, I know. Especially in that first pic, it looks so bad. Hopefully I'll have coilovers by the end of the summer I'm just trying to save up, I want to put them in at the same time I put a bigger sway bar in.

Quick Reply: R56 Please post pictures of your R56 here...