R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Chip/ECU/Refresher

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chip/ECU/Refresher

Hey, I am pretty new to cars in general, but after ording my mini, I have several ideas for modding it. Im trying to learn as much about cars as can, but im still in highschool so im trying to read magazines and search the internet for my education on cars inbetween classes and school work. My friend though, who is a big gear-head, is helping me and he recomended the first upgrade [for more power] I do is get a chip or refresh my computer......is this possible yet in the US on the R56? If so, anyone do it yet? How much HP and Torque do you think will be achieved by this?

If you have any other recomendations, im always open to ideas....my mini description is in my sig.

Thanks, Dave

....I pick up my mini on the 10th of March!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:04 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a gentleman across the pond whose car is the prototype for Superchip I believe so you may do well to follow his story here: http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-e...ds-booked.html
I personally would recommend first going the exhaust and intake route and then chipping the ECU to take advantage of those mods.
Bryan

Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Alex@Helix
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by thlaxx
Hey, I am pretty new to cars in general, but after ording my mini, I have several ideas for modding it. Im trying to learn as much about cars as can, but im still in highschool so im trying to read magazines and search the internet for my education on cars inbetween classes and school work. My friend though, who is a big gear-head, is helping me and he recomended the first upgrade [for more power] I do is get a chip or refresh my computer......is this possible yet in the US on the R56? If so, anyone do it yet? How much HP and Torque do you think will be achieved by this?

If you have any other recomendations, im always open to ideas....my mini description is in my sig.

Thanks, Dave

....I pick up my mini on the 10th of March!
Dave,

I personally think that the biggest gains in horsepower on the new MCS will be from an ECU reflash, just like your friend said. Noone in the US has cracked the new computer yet, but give us some time and there will be multiple options available. I know we are trying to work with GIAC again for the new car. Im sure Unichip and MTH will also have something for the new car in time.

As far as possible gains, if you use the current VW 2.0T engines as a guideline, we could be seeing big increases in hp numbers with the ecu alone. It could be anywhere from 20-40 hp, we wont know until we learn more about the new car and its ecu.

Are you picking up your car from one of the Philly dealers since you are in Delaware? If so, is it Mini of the Main Line or Otto's? Since you are not to far, feel free to swing by our shop anytime. You could check out our new R56 and get some ideas on mods you might want to do in the future

Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Hey helix, I purchased the Mini Cooper S at Ottows-great people. I am only 16, and have my permit right now, so my main money comes in, in the summer when work 5/7 days a week. [I still have to go to school during the school year haha] Right now the only thing I was planning on doing was smoking out by rear lights and the rear-side reflectors with this...http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=44886

So I would love to stop in but it would just be for looking now like you said.... untill the summer! I would also like to get to know you'll there so you don't mind when I call with some Mini question or check on availabilities of chips.

-Dave

Last edited by thlaxx; 03-01-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: because..
Old 03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I look forward to seeing the tuners crack the ECU, however my money will land to the people that get a mostly-standalone ECU working with the R56 [i.e. wideband closed loop fuel, spark, and boost controller]; that'll be the hotness!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Alex@Helix
Former Vendor
Hey helix, I purchased the Mini Cooper S at Ottows-great people. I am only 16, and have my permit right now, so my main money comes in, in the summer when work 5/7 days a week. [I still have to go to school during the school year haha] Right now the only thing I was planning on doing was smoking out by rear lights and the rear-side reflectors with this...http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=44886

So I would love to stop in but it would just be for looking now like you said.... untill the summer! I would also like to get to know you'll there so you don't mind when I call with some Mini question or check on availabilities of chips.

-Dave
Just make sure they will fit the new taillights on the R56 before you order them.

Feel free to swing by the shop or call us with questions about MINI's, watches, beer (well you're not 21, so hold off on the beer questions until your 21) or any sorts of other topics.

But most importantly, just enjoy your new car and post up some pictures when you get it.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Thanks! Do you have any smoke-out tail lights for the R56 specificly?

Also, do you have any R56 specific products out yet?

Old 03-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Alex@Helix
Former Vendor
Thanks! Do you have any smoke-out tail lights for the R56 specificly?

Also, do you have any R56 specific products out yet?
Unfortunately, we don't sell any smoke out tail lights. Im sure one of the many vendors on NAM will have some out soon.

Well we just got our car on Tuesday, but we have learned alot about it. For a few things, the rear sway bar and brakes are interchangeable between the two cars. This means that the aftermarket rear sways for the R53 will work for the R56.

It'll be a little while before we have some R56 specific parts out for sale because we need to engineer them all. As soon as they are ready though we will post it up on NAM. So just stay tuned.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thlaxx,

If you really want your car to be faster, better handling, and safer, start with yourself. Take a high performance driver course through the SCCA or other organization. What you will learn will apply to any car you ever drive, won't affect your warranty, and won't break or wear out.

I've taken several HPD classes and autocross programs. Our club does good autocross training. I did the first two stages of Evolution, an autocross training program. My lap times improved by seconds. I'm much safer at speed, and can drive away from cars that used to leave me behind.

I know this is not responsive to your question, but all the same, it's good advice and I hope you will give thought to it. If your skills are better, you will be able to get more out of any mods that you do make.

Fast cars are fun; fast driving is really fun!

Happy Motoring,

Joe

Old 03-02-2007, 08:00 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Thanks, i agree to, i would love to take some driving courses, i just A. need to get my car [saturday] B. find a course near me C. wait a month for my knee to heel after my surgery before i can drive!