R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 new purchase. what hidden cost to avoid!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:36 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new purchase. what hidden cost to avoid!!!

hello,
i am soon to order and purchase a cooperS 07 and want to know what to look out for. i can get MRSP but what are the hidden charges, such as dealer cost etc... obviously i will have to pay for destination fees.
thank you in advance.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:54 PM
dneal
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing is "hidden" if you do your homework and read before you sign the actual bill of sale.

Configure your car on the mini site for MSRP. That includes the $650 delivery charge. You can even get the price of accessories (less installation). Print that out and take it with you. Anything over that number needs scrutiny.

When you go to sign the bill of sale, they'll itemize their "hidden" charges, if they're one of those types of dealers. Paint Protectant/Sealant is one of the most abused forms of mark up (read: profit). Some of course blatantly just add profit because they can, due to demand. Various paperwork fees are another way they try to hide profit. I rarely pay it, but I don't really have a problem with anything under $100. Some people have noted that their dealers add $500 for paperwork. That's ridiculous.

One of the vendors on the board will sell you a Mini at MSRP. You would have to pay for delivery, or pick it up in Ohio.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:02 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
paper fees

thanks for the quick replay. what kind of paper work and fees are we talking about. i have never purchased a new car so this is all new to me. i live in southern california if this is helpful.
thanks

Old 03-03-2007, 01:16 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
I had about 375 dollars in fee's on my 06 and did purchase a couple of other things at delivery but there was nothing hidden. The fee's and cost of register the MINI can vary from State to State

Old 03-03-2007, 01:22 PM
beatmarkie
1st Gear
What part of socal do you live at? Long Beach Mini and Southbay are known to not have dealer markups. I've been to dealers where they reword the mark-ups to "Special Dealer Package" to make it seem like its not just a mark-up. So be careful of those.

Remember to add the tax and licensing fees. Usually about 10% of the purchase.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:27 PM
kookmyers
4th Gear
To give you a general answer to your question, at a minimum, for any car you buy in CA, you will pay TTL. TTL is Tax, Title, and License.
Here in San Diego, tax is 7.75%. Title and License are not set by the dealer, but i do not know what the fees amount to. To give you a general number, dealers have always ask that i add 10% to the price of the vehicle for these fees (including tax).

Keep in mind that this does not only apply to new cars. you will pay these fees on ANY car that you buy, used or new, private party or dealer.
Ok, if you buy it from a family member you dont have to pay tax.

Brecht Mini has agreed to charge me MSRP, TTL, and $45 for a document fee.
My $29,XXX mini totaled at $32,XXX. Sorry, I do not remember the X's as i have not yet made the purchase.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:39 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
Long Beach , CA

thank you for everyones helpful responses. i live in the long beach area and have spoken to the MA at Long Beach Mini and was told MSRP. I will be submitting my MINI Configuration in about 2 weeks

Old 03-03-2007, 08:52 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One point--if you itemize your deductions on your IRS return, you can deduct the tax you pay when you buy your car--this will recoup some of the money you're "out."

I've heard horror stories of thousands of dollars charged for dealer markups over MSRP. No need to pay them! Worst case scenario, buy your car from a dealer charging MSRP and have it delivered or drive it back yourself. I was very pleased that my local dealer didn't pull tricks--their document fee was just $50, and other than going over possible "protection plan" options, they didn't do a hard sell. We walked out of there satisfied, and with the keys.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pray4dirt
thank you for everyones helpful responses. i live in the long beach area and have spoken to the MA at Long Beach Mini and was told MSRP. I will be submitting my MINI Configuration in about 2 weeks
I've purchased 2 MINIs from Long Beach MINI and they were the best car-buying experiences imaginable. It's a very nice dealership. They will not overcharge you.

As mentioned above, build your preferred MINI at www.MINIUSA.com on the configurator, print out your specs and get them to LB MINI...that's what I did. You'll see the MSRP price on the MINI and all the options and accessories, which should help you figure your price.

Ask your MA (Matt or Tony?) for a guestimate of the actual bottom-line price, so you won't have any surprises. Good luck!