R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Second guessing ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Second guessing ...

Is anyone else second guessing any of their decisions now that their car is ordered, in production, on the way or has been delivered?

I went back and forth on the sunroof. I took it out and put it back in so many times my MA couldn't keep up with me.

How about you ...do you wonder about any of the choices you made?

dean.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome to "Ordering your MINI" disorder, haa haa! I think it's pretty normal to be questioning yourself all over the map throughout the entire ordering and waiting process. Once you take delivery, you'll know for sure if your spec is what you wanted! If your only question mark is the sunroof, consider yourself lucky!

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did torture myself for a while then finally decided there was no point since it was already too late anyway. I also told myself that I would love the car anyway and I was right!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:11 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Yea, I went back and forth on the sport suspension, but then I decided I could upgrade the rear sway later if I wanted, and most of the reviews I read indicated that the standard is excellent for most "street" driving.

Other than that, I also went back and forth on the beige interior vs. lounge leather, and if I did that I would likely have gotten the sparkling silver w/ redwood seats. Or maybe the black. Hmm.

Anyway, I left it with Lightning BLue/white accents and the beige interior. I'm in Florida... a light-colored interior can make a huge difference after the car sits in the sun for a few hours!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 AM
EENY
3rd Gear
Absolutely! I mean, I think so, or probably, maybe, sometimes not, oh - no way!

Can I change my answer again?

Honestly, the entire process for early orders, configurator based with many options not actually seen in real life, can help lead to this confusion. I stressed over "little" things like choosing between fluid silver and brushed allow interior mostly because I'd never seen either one. It can be hard to feel confident with lack of real first-hand observation. I won't bother you with the list of things I went back & forth on, but it was a long list.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:18 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by EENY
Absolutely! I mean, I think so, or probably, maybe, sometimes not, oh - no way!

Can I change my answer again?

I stressed over "little" things like choosing between fluid silver and brushed allow interior mostly because I'd never seen either one.
So did I. In the end I went with fluid silver.

dean.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:34 AM
minimagyar
3rd Gear
I 2nd guess myself even when I see things

having said that, I took a trip to the dealer yesterday and saw the different options and came out happy and with $800 more in my pocket!!! (checkered interior is great, hi-fi sucks).

Old 03-07-2007, 07:40 AM
EENY
3rd Gear
Interesting reaction - What didn't you like about the HiFi?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:02 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Yes, I went through many interations. When my car finally went into production I breathed a sigh of relief as I knew I couldn't change anything. Then I had to reorder due to the MFSW problem and had to start that process all over again. I did things different (MC manual was now available vs the automatic in my original order) and finally didn't lock it in until the MA called and said it let me put your order in today and had to make some last minute decisions.

Its all part of MINI's plan. As time goes on rarely does anybody take stuff off an order, the tendency will be to add stuff. Its all part of configuratoritis.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am second guessing all the time now. I wanted the "Nightfire Red", but summer is approaching here in North Texas and now the Silver is looking good. Plus I can get the cloth seats with the Silver, and not with the Red.

Then on the other hand, I think the Silver would make the car too monochromatic and this should be a fun car. But the Mellow Yellow looks too much like school bus yellow and I had a bad time on school buses when growing up.

Of course, there is the new Oxygen Blue, but is seems a bit too pastel. The black is too dark. The Mini is a small car, and needs something to draw attention to it from the over-sized 4x4 vehicles, SUV's and monster trucks which roam this part of the planet, lest it be mashed.

But that "Nightfire Red" sure is pretty. ARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 08:06 AM
bart5467
4th Gear
Ya i went bak and fourth on options and i still am LOL

Originally Posted by minimagyar
I 2nd guess myself even when I see things

having said that, I took a trip to the dealer yesterday and saw the different options and came out happy and with $800 more in my pocket!!! (checkered interior is great, hi-fi sucks).
What was Wrong w/ the Hi-Fi???? cause i ordered that

Old 03-07-2007, 08:18 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
I love the high fi... it's powerful enough to feel it and it's very crisp. No complaints here.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:25 AM
minimagyar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EENY
Interesting reaction - What didn't you like about the HiFi?
The one I heard could not handle bass at all. I like listening to dance/electronic music and it vibrated way more than the standard stereo when loud (and not so loud either). It was a bit crisper but far inferior to the HK in my opinion... (the brochure also states this one is 230 watts whereas the HK was 320). The MA said a guy took 3 CDs with him, and the stereo faired well with classical music but not blues and the 3rd I can't remember, but overall she says most people have not been impressed.

Now, it might be that this is one of those "defective" units? It's the only one the dealership has for now... I will check with another dealership over the weekend and report back

Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
I love the high fi... it's powerful enough to feel it and it's very crisp. No complaints here.
I have read comments like yours several times. Most folks seem very pleased. One fellow, an admitted audiophile (as am I) said that he liked it and thought folks that like music very loud or with a lot of bass may want to add a sub.

I haven't heard it yet and have my fingers crossed.

dean.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:08 AM
bart5467
4th Gear
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
I have read comments like yours several times. Most folks seem very pleased. One fellow, an admitted audiophile (as am I) said that he liked it and thought folks that like music very loud or with a lot of bass may want to add a sub.

I haven't heard it yet and have my fingers crossed.

dean.
ya i have not heard it either yet i also have my fingers crossed but hey as long as it sounds better then the stock stereo in my current car i'm satisfied

Old 03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
One fellow, an admitted audiophile (as am I) said that he liked it and thought folks that like music very loud or with a lot of bass may want to add a sub.
Thats exactly why I didnt get the hifi. I plan on sneaking a small sub in the back somewhere. Where is the question though...

Old 03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Thats exactly why I didnt get the hifi. I plan on sneaking a small sub in the back somewhere. Where is the question though...
Exactly ...every inch of space counts in a MINI. I'm sure you'll find a spot for it.

dean.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:11 AM
minimagyar
3rd Gear
anybody know if the standard audio has an amplifier?

Old 03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by minimagyar
anybody know if the standard audio has an amplifier?
No, I don't.

Don't be misled by car audio specs. If the brochure states the hi-fi system has 230 watts, that's a load of BS. I don't know how they get away with that. A home audio amplifier that has 230 watts will generally be in a chassis that is 6" by 18" by 18" and will usually weigh 30+ pounds. I'm sure whatever amp may be in the MINI is about the size of a normal car radio and doesn't weigh much.

I've read a bunch of posts that said the new hi-fi is better than the old h/k ...I hope my ears agree.

dean.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
My wife told me if she heard any more about the MINI she would poke me with the meat tongs. Since she is buying the car for me, I shut up (mostly) and stopped looking at the configurator.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
My Wife caught me dinking around in the configurator this morning and she said, "You know that car is for girls!", then turns around and walks off.

I sat there for a minute, then decided I wanted the automatic A/C.

I have 3 days to finalize this before handing it over to the dealer. ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:59 AM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
Yeah, my wife is sick of me talking about my MINI. I can't imagine why, I've only been talking about getting one since 2002. Actually, my co-workers are sick of hearing about it too, so's my family, oh, and maybe my cats as well.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:08 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mcarlo52
Yeah, my wife is sick of me talking about my MINI. I can't imagine why, I've only been talking about getting one since 2002. Actually, my co-workers are sick of hearing about it too, so's my family, oh, and maybe my cats as well.
Same here. I started in 2002 as well. I jokingly asked for one for Christmas in 2003 and my wife gave me a 1/16 scale model. It wasn't really in the Christmas spirit though ...after I opened it she said "So, now that you have your MINI Cooper I don't want to hear another word about it."

dean.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
dneal
4th Gear
Second guessed the color a few times, and the wife and I settled on CR (I wanted BRG with Redwood leather, she wanted MY with black leather).

I'm really regretting the bridgespokes.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 PM
spykdpunch
3rd Gear
I fret about the color constantly. Even though from the very beginning of my Mini obsession I wanted Chili Red/white, every time I see a Hyper Blue R53 w/ a white roof I curse myself for not speccing the Lightning Blue. When I see a BRG/W I wish I had gotten that. I wish I could've convinced myself out of the MCS in order to get Oxygen Blue (not the best reason to cheat oneself out of almost 60 hp ).

He's built and on his way across the Atlantic. I'll love him no matter what.

Quick Reply: R56 Second guessing ...