R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Caught speeding with a radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 AM
PepperWhiteR56
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caught speeding with a radar detector?

I'm curious to hear from folks that have been caught speeding with a radar detector. What equipment were you using and what were the circumstances and consequences?

Old 03-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepperWhiteR56
I'm curious to hear from folks that have been caught speeding with a radar detector. What equipment were you using and what were the circumstances and consequences?
I got caught using a Valentine One. It was 1:30 am and I was on a 4 lane bridge with a stupid limit of 35. I was going to pick up my 8 year old at a friend's house, where the kid's grandmother went nuts and I had to get there quickly. A cop was hiding at the end of the bridge. My Valentine worked perfectly, alerting me long before I arrived to the radar. Unfortunately, my mind was elsewhere and I didn't slow down when it went off. Got the ticket, but the cop told me he wouldnt show up in court to prosecute it.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:11 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Tread VERY lightly on this topic gentlemen! make sure you stay within the guidelines or this thread will be locked up (the mere existence may be egnough to warrant removal)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/guidelines

LEGAL
Posts relating to street racing, excessive speeding, or violations of other laws are prohibited. If you want to race, take it to a legal venue.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:05 AM
illeagalhunter
3rd Gear
get a rdar defusser no need worry as it jams the radar for 5-7 sec time to get the anchors on

Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PepperWhiteR56
Absolutely. Once with a passport. No signal. Got pulled over. Cops used VASCAR. Took it to court. Judge not to happy with me. Added court costs. If they use VASCAR, your screwed

Another time, in Ohio, pretty notorious, on the Interstate. Passport on .... Came around a blind large sweeper, cops in the island, passport did go on but was blindsided .... no matter how good the detector is, it aint going to see around corners. Cop had me dead to rights. He even laughed with me about it afterwards. He knew he was in a perfect spot. Just mailed the ticket in

Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Made a road trip in my pick up from Bryan Tx to Corpus Christi TX to transport some furniture for a friend. We made a weekend of it and were coming home late on a Sunday night. I had a pretty sharp K40 detector split unit.
Passed a state trooper on a section of 4 lane going the opposite direction. Prolly got me around 65ish in a 55, but we both saw each other's brake lights were on, then off. He kept going, so did I. I kept an eye in the rearview for several miles before I started running it back up.
Running along about 80 on a long straight away, not another car in sight, my K40 goes BEEEEEEP. Full bar, solid signal for about 1 sec. Then the red and blues on the side of the road come on.
The trooper is all but laughing out loud while he writes me a ticket. He says "That radar detector didn't help, did it?"
Me. "I dont know what you mean"
Trooper. "I was pulling up in the driveway when my buddy called me and said he had one for me to catch. I live just over the hill. Sign here."
I dont know if they have a quota, but sometimes I thnk they see it as a nice game of cat and mouse.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:56 AM
minimagyar
3rd Gear
Mine works perfectly and never had any problems. There are circumstances when they won't help though, for example if the cop's radar is off until they see you or if they come from behind you. It is by no means a substitute for your being alert.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Bought a V1 shortly after buying my M3. V1 has saved me many times...even from laser. But no matter what, having a good memory of your local roads and where cops sit is still the best thing to go by even with a detector.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by minimagyar
Mine works perfectly and never had any problems. There are circumstances when they won't help though, for example if the cop's radar is off until they see you or if they come from behind you. It is by no means a substitute for your being alert.
The V1 has full circle detection, front/sides/back. So if one comes up behind you, as long as he dosn't tag your car 1st, you have a chance. Another time a radar detector isn't going to save you is when your all alone, no other car to take the first pop of radar for your detector to pick up.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 PM
RA080624
Banned
its called using ur eyeballs. i have found that if i dont really pay attn to the road or if i think about getting a ticket then i will get a ticket. i was going to houston one day and i was like wow i really havent gotten a ticket in a long time couple minutes later i get one

Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Beware of the laser. I was driving with a friend when his radar/laser detector went off. Unfortunately when the cop has a laser gun, if you hear it they've already got you. They definitely busted my buddy Jim.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
Beware of the laser. I was driving with a friend when his radar/laser detector went off. Unfortunately when the cop has a laser gun, if you hear it they've already got you. They definitely busted my buddy Jim.

well if it bounce's off another car and yours goes off then your pretty much good. cause thats what happened to me.......bunch of cars in the right lane, im in the left with a car in front of me about 10 car lengths apart.......laser goes off on my V1 i slow down and drive right by with no ticket

Old 03-08-2007, 04:36 PM
PepperWhiteR56
2nd Gear
Are there extra consequences if you get caught speeding with a radar in states where radars are legal?

I believe someone mentioned having to pay court costs. That can't be cheap.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
msh441
6th Gear
This all depends where you live.

In some states radar detectors are illegal. In most, their not. In most states I would say jammers are illegal (with VERY few exceptions as jammers violate federal FCC regulations). So be sure and check with your local laws and ordinances. It might save you some headaches. And if your running a jammer, DON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT IT! (Where I'm at, they can take your car).

If you do choose to run with a detector (and I do)... understand that you still could end up getting stopped. If you do, then you will then deal with an Officer/Deputy/Trooper with his/her own opionions towads radar detector use.

Some have stronger opinions than others. Those 5-10MPH speed violations where you might have got away with a verbal reprimand could turn into a ticket... or not. Just depends on the guy/gal that comes to your window. The police have a lot of discretion in this area.

Beyond the initial contact you could later discover the judge has his/her own opinions as well. Adding court costs etc. for that little additional kick. Just depends on the judge.

So what do you want to try and avoid more: The stop itself? Or the stop with the detector sitting on your dash? Tough call.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If a Radar detector is legal, then you shouldn't pay anymore directly because of it.

Yeah if you get a ticket and you go to court and you pay court fees then you're paying more. And yes you're more likely get the ticket and have the judge provide a higher penalty but all within the confines of the allowable fees. Course there is also the outside chance of getting stopped and receving a vebal warning. Either way if you driving in a manner that you're going to be stopped, you shouldn't have been doing what you were doing, and there is a common saying "don't do the crime if you're not willing to do the time" Just better to not speed on public roads IMO (YAY track days!).

Old 03-09-2007, 06:10 AM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by msh441
Some have stronger opinions than others. Those 5-10MPH speed violations where you might have got away with a verbal reprimand could turn into a ticket... or not. Just depends on the guy/gal that comes to your window. The police have a lot of discretion in this area.

Beyond the initial contact you could later discover the judge has his/her own opinions as well. Adding court costs etc. for that little additional kick. Just depends on the judge.
Tell me about it,
I got pulled over for getting on the highway and cutting over 2 lanes (to avoid stopped traffic to the right) I totally deserved a ticket (even though the way was clear)
but instead, the cop gives me a "reckless driving" violation, (My first ticket in 15 years) I guess he did not get laid that morning (said violation did not even occur in his county, but the ticket he wrote said it did) I live less than 2 miles from a different county line...
an improper lane change ticket would have sufficed.
Went to court (this is a criminal offense in FL) Judge gave me a choice...
  1. 8 hour driving school, $327.00 court fees and $275.00 fine/ no points
  2. or I could go to court..
My lawyer wanted $600.00 to appear with no guarantee that he could get me off the hook..
I chose door number 1...and I'm still walking bowlegged because the cop and the judge did not get laid that morning...
I fought the Law and the Law won...

Old 03-09-2007, 06:40 AM
MrVvrroomm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Course there is also the outside chance of getting stopped and receving a vebal warning.
You have absolutely zero chance of getting a warning for speeding if the cop sees a radar detector on your dash.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:33 AM
minimagyar
3rd Gear
You can always resort to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntch5dLAJRo