R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sparkling or Dark Silver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Skye2
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dark silver is only available on the MCS. After seeing both colors in the sunlight I prefer the dark silver and will be getting an MCS in that color. Don't know when though.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 PM
spykdpunch
3rd Gear
The sparkling silver is unique and gorgeous. With a black roof and bonnet stripes it's sure to turn heads.

Although.. I've always loved the dark silver/white roof combination.

First things first: Drive to the dealer and check them out in person!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Here is a picture I took of a SS/black at my dealer's. Even though the SS has a champagne hue in this picture and under certain light, it actually did look silver in the showroom. It's a very classy color.

Attached Thumbnails Sparkling or Dark Silver?-sparklingsilvermo.jpg  
Old 03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
royal4mac
4th Gear
i have become a fan of SS/White stripes.
Awesome looking.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Loui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in the Pacific Northwest there is a plethora of Dark Silver MINI's. I own a 2003 S. It looks relatively clean even during the winter months. I ordered a SS in Feb so it's really is a personal preference. Choose and don't regret.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
they have one in the showroom of my local dealer and it is sweet. I think it has the black roof. and it has the lounge red leather interior, which looks hot with this color.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
I live in the east bay area and while I know there's a lot of DS around, I don't see that many of them. I mostly see PW and CR with a sprinkling of blues. I like the SS a lot, it's beautiful with black roof and stripes, however I'm a silver and black fan so it's DS with black roof and stripes for me.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:04 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Another opinion:

Sparkling Silver/Black with the Redwood Red Lounge Leather is the standard factory spec'd combo. It's BEAUTIFUL (don't get me wrong)... but literally EVERY dealer's got one. I'm afraid it will have a shorter shelf life than Dark Silver, as everybody who opts for the Redwood Red Lounge leather will be driving one.

Also, I've never liked the idea of getting the "brochure car". You know, the car represented in the brochue pics or factory spec'd on the showroom floor. That's why I bought a MINI, so I could outfit it with my own options making it somewhat unique.

Again, just my opinion.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:34 PM
T2Nav
3rd Gear
Note that dark silver looks especially nice with silver accents or roof or stripes.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:18 AM
minimagyar
3rd Gear
I was at the dealership and saw one sparkling and one dark silver next to each other... the same specs! here they are...

Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 AM
minimagyar
3rd Gear
I like the combo of dark silver/silver but the silver roof is not an option any more....

Old 03-10-2007, 06:30 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
I love the SS/B combo- we're going to order one soon for Chad's mom

Old 03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
gdiman
Neutral
Thanks for the input everyone. Just went to the dealer and checked them out myself. Very, very impressed with the car in general. Both colors look great but dark silver turned out to be what I was going for. Placed my order on a MCS in dark silver and I'm looking forward to 6-8 weeks from now!

Old 03-10-2007, 02:26 PM
chopperace
2nd Gear
Wow! those are some huge pictures. I liked them both but after seeing them in person I went with the SS. I like the constrast between the black and the silver.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:00 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
I like both dark silver and sparkling silver. But when it came time to choose, my three top cars were chili red/black with red and black cloth/leather, dark silver/black with blue and black cloth/leather and sparkling silver/white with black cloth. I got the Sparkling Silver. It looks awesome, even with the white roof and mirrors. Part of why I got it was its appearance on the road, very bright, so hopefully, noticeable by other drivers. I also have the DRLs turned on, pretty cool that it's a user-selectable feature now!
Mike

Old 03-10-2007, 09:17 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
I just got my DS today and love it! Pictures are in my gallery.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:19 PM
chopperace
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thlaxx
I just got my DS today and love it! Pictures are in my gallery.
Looks good! I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by z3bum
I like both dark silver and sparkling silver. But when it came time to choose, my three top cars were chili red/black with red and black cloth/leather, dark silver/black with blue and black cloth/leather and sparkling silver/white with black cloth. I got the Sparkling Silver. It looks awesome, even with the white roof and mirrors. Part of why I got it was its appearance on the road, very bright, so hopefully, noticeable by other drivers. I also have the DRLs turned on, pretty cool that it's a user-selectable feature now!
Mike
Can you post pics of your SS/white? I love that combination but haven't seen it much.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:11 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
It has been my experience that pictures do not do these cars justice. I had to see them in the flesh, er, steel, before I finally made up my mind.

Zip

Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong either way. I have DS/W, and I love it.

I hated SS at first--but that was until I saw it in person. It looks terrible in photographs, but SS/B in real life is an awesome combination. I'd be seriously tempted.

One advantage of DS is it's eclusive to the S; Sparkling Silver can go on either the base or the S (If that's important to you). In the long run, you may see more SS on the streets than DS.

However, there is a rumor that SS is a one year and done color, which would sway me more toward it.

Look at both in the flesh, then pick the one that feels best. You really can't go wrong with either choice.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a quick look at the sparkling* silver at a dealer and didn't like the warm tone, but then I tend to like cold greys rather than warm greys.

I'm about to order a MCS in Pure Silver and will probably put a custom stripe on it. I'm thinking of a somewhat darker silver with chrome accent stripes from MightyStipes. Anyone dealt with them? Product and service good?

One reason I'm going for Pure Silver over Dark Silver is visibility. There are a lot of older drivers where I live and I want them to be sure to see me coming. Another is reflection of heat. I don't want passive solar heating in my car.

*As in sparkling wine -- champagne that isn't from the Champagne District of France. I guess they just couldn't give a French name to a paint color for a British car.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 PM
edje
1st Gear
deciding between Dark Silver and Sparkling Silver...

It's been a while since this thread and now I'm deciding between Dark Silver and Sparkling Silver.

I wanted the dark silver until I saw the sparkling silver. Dark silver is more somehting I would normally consider but it seems to be really popular around here, and the sparkling silver is beautiful in person.

I'm just not normally a gold/champagne car guy, so I afraid of getting sick of it, but with the black it's pretty hot. Also, i can't really picture cool mods to the Sparkling Silver.

Also the dark silver seems like it might tend to be a little dull and not standout.

What does everyone think? More popular color? Is Dark Silver too dull? Cool mods? anything else?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
In 2005, dark silver was not available on Coopers (only S's). If it was, I would have gotten it with a white roof instead of the all jet black car I ordered.

To me, liquid silver didn't allow those gorgeous bonnet curves to stand out. That's why I like to go darker.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a monochromist. ;o)

Old 08-26-2008, 01:54 PM
lightningjcw
1st Gear
i had a ss r56 and didn't like the color after a few months so i got rid of it and have a pure silver now. the ss was just to beige for me. here's a modified version ss.

[img][/img]

Old 08-26-2008, 02:04 PM
todoubled
3rd Gear
dark silver baby

Quick Reply: R56 Sparkling or Dark Silver?