R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Break in process

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:51 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BludyL
I agree. I'm a bit of a leadfoot, but even I have trouble getting it up to 4500. Maybe I'm a little more cautious than the rest of you speed demons out there.

I hit 4500 RPM once during break in. I was stopped on a downward incline trying to merge into fast moving traffic. I gave it everything I had, but soon as saw the needle getting to 4500, I shifted, and still was trying to pick up speed.

Of course, I started thinking ALL the paranoid things that were mentioned in this forum, BMW will read it on my keyfob, my warranty will be voided, the Mini Gods will decend to earth and destroy all of humanity, statues of the Virgin Mary will start to bleed tears, the ***** of Babylon will rise out of a VW dealership, and all sorts of other signs that my single transgression of 4500 RPM during break-in will trigger the apocalypse.

What did I do to stop the coming destruction of the earth? I pulled into a gas station, hugged my car, and drove off again. You may all thank me for giving you all one more day of driving.

Dont forget the Flying Monkeys from Oz!

Dude, you saved the planet!

Old 05-24-2007, 04:59 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They will not read anything on your key fob. If you are worried about that, keep one fob unused and use it when you go to service. However, it's the car's on-board computer that stores engine data --- not the key fob.

As to break-n, I am an aggressive driver, in terms of rapid acceleration, hard cornering, etc. I see no reason at all to exceed MINI's break-in recommendations. If you want to do so, claiming ring seating and other unrpoven and questionable assumptions, you do so at your own risk and you will no doubt be posting about how MINI won't honor the warranty, if you blow your engine.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 AM
at7815
3rd Gear
Brilliant!!!

BludyL "Of course, I started thinking ALL the paranoid things that were mentioned in this forum, BMW will read it on my keyfob, my warranty will be voided, the Mini Gods will decend to earth and destroy all of humanity, statues of the Virgin Mary will start to bleed tears, the ***** of Babylon will rise out of a VW dealership, and all sorts of other signs that my single transgression of 4500 RPM during break-in will trigger the apocalypse."

I love it!!! You and the MINI were fantastic!!!! Thanks for saving the planet

Old 05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I ought to open a New car break in service. If the warranty is voided because of engine abuse record during break in, I will give you the money back. But I will break the car in for you while you sleep/eat/shower. Pay me, I will do it.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Evergreen
3rd Gear
Ok, here's a question. When we picked up our cooper, I noticed 27 miles on the Odometer. I didn't think anything of it, what's twenty miles right? But I noticed most are picking up with like 4 or 6 miles. Someone also mentioned the largest impact on break-in happens in the first twenty miles. Having no idea why there was 20+ miles nor how it was driven, does this make a huge difference you think? Thoughts?

Old 05-25-2007, 01:09 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
With as much controversy over how it should be broken in during the first 20 miles I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot. Some people say baby it, some say drive it like you stole it, and others are in between. Who is correct?

Old 06-10-2007, 05:27 AM
paulcoop
Neutral
How i will break-in my MINI (I think...)

Hello to you all,
i just ordered my new MINI on Friday, delivery in 3 months, so time has already slowed down considerably...

Anyway, great to see a lively debate on the break-in issue, i thought i throw a couple of bob of my own for good measure.

I like this stuff on mototuneusa, makes sense to me. BMW would be pushing it up hill, i think, trying to bust anyone following mototuneusa instructions. as i believe few of you have already pointed out, if it's such a danger to the engine, BMW blokes should "lock" it up somehow, so this thing would be more like driving miss daisy than italian job in the first 1,200 miles.

I think i would go for the dyno method. nice and clean, and what's more important you don't have to risk running foul of the local plod. you drive off the dyno and the engine is pretty much ready (another story with brakes & tyres). what i would like to do though is to change the oil after the dyno run, and then change it again after 1000km, and then every 6-12 months. The MINI should then run like a clock, no?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:06 AM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Now I'm really confused. Thanks a lot. Someone make a call. Drive it like an old lady (no offense) or like a rocket ship. Or just drive the car and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:56 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by paulcoop
Hello to you all,
i just ordered my new MINI on Friday, delivery in 3 months, so time has already slowed down considerably...

Anyway, great to see a lively debate on the break-in issue, i thought i throw a couple of bob of my own for good measure.

I like this stuff on mototuneusa, makes sense to me. BMW would be pushing it up hill, i think, trying to bust anyone following mototuneusa instructions. as i believe few of you have already pointed out, if it's such a danger to the engine, BMW blokes should "lock" it up somehow, so this thing would be more like driving miss daisy than italian job in the first 1,200 miles.

I think i would go for the dyno method. nice and clean, and what's more important you don't have to risk running foul of the local plod. you drive off the dyno and the engine is pretty much ready (another story with brakes & tyres). what i would like to do though is to change the oil after the dyno run, and then change it again after 1000km, and then every 6-12 months. The MINI should then run like a clock, no?
Whatever floats your boat.!! Let us know how it works out. It would be a neat test on a R56. Personally I wouldnt try it, but Im old fashioned.