R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Improvement Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
After actually owning an R56 now, I have far fewer improvement ideas than some of the non-R56 owners are suggesting.

*I would like to Sport button to be able to be programmed to default either on or off.
*The angle of the tach and speedo module are such that during dusk or dawn, the sunlight can reflect into my eyes. This wasn't an issue with the R53 because the gauges sat very upright.

That's all I can think of for now. Anything else would be a performance preference that may not be considered appropriate for OEM decision making. Otherwise, I find the powertrain, suspension tuning, and braking all excellent!

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think much of all the ideas to re-cast the R56 as the R53!

I'd like to see 16" wheel designs that are at least 7" wide.

I'd like to see Mini get rid of many of the goofy wheel designs they have, especially in the 15" and 16" sizes. BMW has many very nice wheel designs, and for some reason with Mini the wheels have to be all silly and rockety. If this is some hang over from Mini design philosophy past, it has to go. In the 15s ditch the R86, 93, 96, 100, in 16s ditch the 102, 103, so so on the 83, 84, 88, 90s. In the 17s ditch the R90, 97, 98, and in the 18s the 95s give me the creeps.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lava
I'd have to agree. Overall I like what I've seen of R56...I'll suppose I'll have to wait 'til I actually own one to make any recommendations based on real-life experience.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Böhme417
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did they change the seatbelt thing from being height adjustable? That's just dumb. I'm 6'2" and the new seatbelt hangs off my shoulder. That certainly seems like a step backwards.

Improve the headliner. It looks cheap.

In regard to the new stalks... I kind of like them. They may feel a bit cheaper, but the silver ones, to me, felt a little odd to operate. I especially like the fact that the turn signals are now separately indicated in the tach.

I second the LED taillights.

I also hate the plastic thing where the bonnet meets the windshield. Ick!

Larger glove box! Larger "storage pack" area!

There is a plastic thing that hangs from beneath the car. I looked for it on the previous models, and it is very small in comparison. I guess it was added because of the raised front. They didn't want it to appear that the car was raised that much or something.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:06 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I don't think anybody is trying to recast anything into anything else We are just stating our opinions for improvement which was the point (aka title) of the thread.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Larger glove box! Larger "storage pack" area.
It makes me nervous just to hear the "L word" used in regard to the new Mini. Watch what you wish for, it might show up with a lot more "L" in areas you didn't bargain for. Remember...IT'S A MINI.

Last edited by MINIclo; 03-14-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remove the rear seats and provide a large (removable) back deck for hidden storage.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:03 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Remove the rear seats and provide a large (removable) back deck for hidden storage.
Or at least provide a rear-seat delete option from the factory that incorporates some more storage space. That could also make it cheaper to order leather seats, since you'd only be buying the front pair.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:52 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Was there something mentioned as an improvement suggestion in the above posts that you disagree with? Or actually think is better on the R56?

The R53 lovers have not slung the mud thus far and have stayed on point. Don't invite this to be another R56 sucks thread.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:16 AM
Böhme417
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
It makes me nervous just to hear the "L word" used in regard to the new Mini. Watch what you wish for, it might show up with a lot more "L" in areas you didn't bargain for. Remember...IT'S A MINI.
I should have been a little more cautious with that statement. I just want a little more storage. They can remove the backseats and chop off the rear of the car. I certainly don't want the body of the car getting any bigger.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by planeguy
Was there something mentioned as an improvement suggestion in the above posts that you disagree with? Or actually think is better on the R56?

The R53 lovers have not slung the mud thus far and have stayed on point. Don't invite this to be another R56 sucks thread.

+1

Old 03-15-2007, 06:49 AM
spirit16
2nd Gear
One more thing...

Put real seat pockets behind the front seats. The ovalized versions do not store rectangular stuff as well....

Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 AM
lava
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
I don't think anybody is trying to recast anything into anything else We are just stating our opinions for improvement which was the point (aka title) of the thread.

No mud slinging. There are a number of suggestions in C4s list and Planeguys list which are simply a request for features of the R53.

2. wrap around rear glass
3. side marker light/vent redesign....(sorry it cant be said egnough...It REALLY wrecks the new design singlehandedly)
4. eliminate bonnet gaps by integrating headlights and wheel arch trim to bonnet
5. make the tail lights smaller in and place them in a proper aspect ratio
6. narrow the plastic wheel arches
Originally Posted by C4
2) Fix the uneven gaps/shutlines around the hood
5) Offer a real temp gauge
6) Offer an option for a full slat front grill for the MCS (Aside from the standard honeycomb one)
9) get rid of the cheap looking black stalks. bring back the higher quality silver ones
12) redesign and tone down the silly side markers in both MC and MCS
There are more which I would call out but lacked a direct reference to the previous car.

If I have misinterpreted your intent, then please forgive me.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:28 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
I'd add more programmable functions.
Specifically a way of choosing much better fuel economy or better perfomance.
Even another model would be fine.
It's a dream but from what I read in this tread reality isn't a prerequisist to the wish lists.
Jim

Old 03-15-2007, 07:48 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
While I disagree with many of the items listed here I have the comfort that MINI will do a good job of separating the bad ideas from the good. I think the most helpful and likely ones to get implimented are functional and additional in nature and not those that redo or replace current features or design.

More programmable options like:
- sport button mode
-
- exhaust tone
- steering feel
-

I think there should a standard set of floormats.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:55 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by inomis
While I disagree with many of the items listed here I have the comfort that MINI will do a good job of separating the bad ideas from the good. I think the most helpful and likely ones to get implimented are functional and additional in nature and not those that redo or replace current features or design.

More programmable options like:
- sport button mode
-
- exhaust tone
- steering feel
-

I think there should a standard set of floormats.

Care to elaborate which ideas sound "bad"to you?

So far I like each and every one of them. What would make me really interested in the R56 is the possibility of a 1.8L engine, which appears to be where the car is being headed (Due to heat management problems with the JCW kit in the current engine). Don't worry, in 24 months or less a "facelift"of the R56 will make it the car it should be.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 AM
C4
Banned
Also I would like to see a more "connected"steering feedback, AWD and DSG among others.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
No mud slinging. There are a number of suggestions in C4s list and Planeguys list which are simply a request for features of the R53.

There are more which I would call out but lacked a direct reference to the previous car.

If I have misinterpreted your intent, then please forgive me.
The features listed would be an improvement....no? If you think that any one of the features C4 or I listed would NOT be an improvement then I would love to hear WHY.....but simply stating that....oh those are R53 features ...does not address the fact if those key features were incorporated they would make the R56 a better car

Old 03-15-2007, 08:16 AM
C4
Banned
The features listed would be an improvement....no? If you think that any one of the features C4 or I listed would NOT be an improvement then I would love to hear WHY.....but simply stating that....oh those are R53 features ...does not address the fact if those key features were incorporated they would make the R56 a better car

Simple:

1) Incorporating those changes would make the R56 a much better car

2) The changes will render the current R56 automatically öutdated

Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM
lava
5th Gear
No. I think everything in the two lists I quoted are simply a matter of opinion and I see no clear improvement. Gap size, proportions, grill bars - all subjective - that's not a feature list. You like, I don't like. Is that enough about our differences? Can we move on?

The only exception I see is there should be some way to option in gauges such as a temp gauge in a chrono pack of some sort. Perhaps they should consider side pods at the tach as is available aftermarket on the R53.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
No. I think everything in the two lists I quoted are simply a matter of opinion and I see no clear improvement. Gap size, proportions, grill bars - all subjective - that's not a feature list. You like, I don't like. Is that enough about our differences? Can we move on?
Of course its all subjective!!!! What me and I believe C4 would like you to do is state specifically what features from the list you didn't like and perhaps why...Do you think ANY of the features would make the R56 a better car if so which ones and if not which ones......Just off-handedly saying those are R53 features (of course they are)is inviting the over hashed r56 -vs- r53 debate rather than constructive improvement ideas or why a given concept is good or bad for the R56

Old 03-15-2007, 10:29 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C4
Care to elaborate which ideas sound "bad"to you?

I think designing the aesthetics of a car from a list is bad.

These items (and the rest) look good to me, lava and MINI! If you can show me a Photoshop of the current car with your design changes maybe you could change my opinion but I'm willing to let MINI be the final decider as I trust their skill better than you or me. Fair enough?

Old 03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
This is a good string, especially for those who obviously prefer the looks of the R53. So far, each is stating what they would like to change on the R56 without saying it in a slamming way. It's easy for me to absorb and understand without getting emotionally set off when the comments are written this way.

Personally, I'd vote for having even less storage space (or a longer car) in order to provide more leg room for those sitting in back.

On the other hand, maybe it would be best to think of this car in the manner of coupes from the early 20th century (no back seat). Then that back bench area could be thought of as a place where somebody could sit if they had to.
That's what I hoped for when I started this thread. So far, it seems like the burbble is the most wanted feature.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dwjj
How about stop growing the car. Pretty soon it'll be bloated like most every other car.
Hopefully, BMW will not repeat VW's mistake with the GTI.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:50 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by inomis
I think designing the aesthetics of a car from a list is bad.
These items (and the rest) look good to me, lava and MINI! If you can show me a Photoshop of the current car with your design changes maybe you could change my opinion but I'm willing to let MINI be the final decider as I trust their skill better than you or me. Fair enough?

Fair enough. I do not have Photoshop myself, but perhaps someone who does and can translate some of these suggestions into an actual image that we can all look at, would be fantastic.

Quick Reply: R56 Improvement Ideas