R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Improvement Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
So far, it seems like the burbble is the most wanted feature.
Yes & I hold all you R56'ers responsible for complaining to Mini & getting it back so by the time I need a new Mini in 3-5 years, it will be back

Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by inomis
I think designing the aesthetics of a car from a list is bad.
5. make the tail lights smaller in and place them in a proper aspect ratio
12) redesign and tone down the silly side markers in both MC and MCS
These items (and the rest) look good to me, lava and MINI! If you can show me a Photoshop of the current car with your design changes maybe you could change my opinion but I'm willing to let MINI be the final decider as I trust their skill better than you or me. Fair enough?
See if those are the only two points of contention we agree much more than disagree on the suggested improvements

Old 03-15-2007, 11:24 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by planeguy
See if those are the only two points of contention we agree much more than disagree on the suggested improvements
Did you miss "These items (and the rest)"? Applies to all aesthetic items in both of your lists. Plus there are other items I think are not good but the point is "Let MINI decide, they will anyway." Put whatever you think should change, that's what the thread is about.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah!! AWD would be fantastic. So would an option for power memory seats, wheels an mirrors. I can never seem to get them back just right.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by inomis
Did you miss "These items (and the rest)"? Applies to all aesthetic items in both of your lists. Plus there are other items I think are not good but the point is "Let MINI decide, they will anyway." Put whatever you think should change, that's what the thread is about.
Exactly. Obviously, it's all a matter of opinion. I just wanted everyone to post their own ideas; it's not necessary to dis someone elses. Maybe if BWM doesn't listen, an after marketer may!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:16 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Yeah!! AWD would be fantastic. So would an option for power memory seats, wheels an mirrors. I can never seem to get them back just right.
Adding AWD... as well as the convienience of power seats, wheel, mirrors... add weight. Fine as an option, but I wouldn't want them as mandatory equipment. As much as MINIs should remain small, I think it's equally importantant they remain light.

My favorite things about MINIs in general= Short wheelbase. Wide Trac. Light weight.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
My number one improvement would definately be a more aggresive exhaust sound but I'm guessing that will be an aftermarket deal not MINI.
MINI did their reseach and if it showed that the majority of buyers would prefer a more "refined" sound then I doubt that the research results will turn around any time soon. I think MINI's decisions have more to do with the majority of owners not those who frequent these forums.
I was not a member of any MINI forums prior to about 4 or 5 months ago but somehow I do not think contributers here complained about the burble that existed in the prior models. If that is true then MINI is listening to different voices.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:35 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by designerMINI
MINI did their reseach and if it showed that the majority of buyers would prefer a more "refined" sound then I doubt that the research results will turn around any time soon. I think MINI's decisions have more to do with the majority of owners not those who frequent these forums.
I was not a member of any MINI forums prior to about 4 or 5 months ago but somehow I do not think contributers here complained about the burble that existed in the prior models. If that is true then MINI is listening to different voices.
But there is no reason it can't be had both ways. The R56 burbles in the UK, just not in the US. Mini should make the burble a dealer programmable option in the U.S. since to burble or not to burble is simply a matter of how the ECU is programmed

Old 03-15-2007, 12:44 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
UK R56.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLAJDxegxFg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsdr6Lo74NA
It would be nice. I guess there is nothing wrong with hoping MINI will make it a dealer adjustable thing.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:19 PM
lava
5th Gear
Burble on with the Sport Button was the first thing I thought of when I heard the burble was gone. It should be so easy to do - why not?

Old 03-15-2007, 07:32 PM
C4
Banned
The burble is a R53 feature

Old 03-15-2007, 09:42 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The burble is meaningless ear-candy.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
The burble is meaningless ear-candy.
MBE to you & easy for you to say since the MC never had it but for me it ranks my top 3 favorite things about my Mini. Once you go burble you can never go back

Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
easy for you to say since the MC never had it
True, true!!! I test drove some MCSs with burbles...I guess perhaps it grows on one with time.

As an outsider to the whole thing I really don't get why it would have been worth anyone complaining about (and hence having removed). Seemed harmless...(although still meaningless).

Old 03-15-2007, 10:01 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
As an outsider to the whole thing I really don't get why it would have been worth complaining about (and hence having removed). Seemed harmless...(although still meaningless).
When I drive my Mini I will take of nicely & purposely let of the gas in the perfect burble-causing way just so I can hear it. I do this constantly just to hear that sweet sound

Old 03-15-2007, 10:21 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
I do this constantly just to hear that sweet sound
I can definitely see where it becomes part of the unique character of the car...something to look forward to in one's motoring experience. That is sweet!! I honestly don't know why anyone would complain about that unless BMW has records of new owners bringing their car back thinking there was a problem. In a vacuum from broader owner-opinion, they could see that as a complaint, I suppose.

I guess my comment relates to the fact that, while it is special and fun, it is not a significant part of the technical performance of the car (like the SC whine). Those who have it should feel lucky and enjoy it...they have a special feature and a special car. But that seems no reason to demand it be brought back...it has no substantive technical meaning that would qualify it as a clear improvement. Early MCS owners didn't have it...it is therefore not essential to the meaning of MCS motoring.

Things changed...it's a new engine....new set of rules. Let those who enjoy their burbles enjoy them...let the R56 owners find what is special about their cars and enjoy that. Seems there is now plenty of other things to enjoy!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
There are plenty of R56'ers who want the burble too. Since it is an easy thing to bring back or to leave off for those who don't want it it should be offered as a choice. I am sure if MINIUSA refuses to bring it back our good aftermarket vendors will find a way to program it back by the time I am ready to buy

Old 03-16-2007, 05:39 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I usually see things from a technical-usefulness perspective. Because of that, I don't like the fake burble. When I hear it I only cringe of mis-tuned engine. I realize many people like the nostalgia of muscle cars with oversized carburetors that couldn't properly manage their fuel, however there is no technical reason for consciously implementing such a "feature" in a current turbo/GDI engine. I would much prefer a loud exhaust that has good sound quality than hearing my engine management flagrantly dumping in excess fuel for my amusement when I'm off the throttle. I prefer to save my fuel for when I want to actually propel the car.

That is my take on it, I hope you can understand.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:47 AM
dwjj
6th Gear
I always got more burble when running leaner. More burble with air/exhaust improvements for instance. An emissions thing? California wanting to cut NOx? It's one of the smog pollutants. So MINI may have had no choice because they had to make the motor cleaner. Rich->increase CO and HC, Lean->increase NOx.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Old 03-16-2007, 07:20 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Chronometric-like Speedo operation

I really like the steering column mounted dual gauges on my 03 ,the new Minis have them too. What I would like to suggest is to make the gauge needles reproduce the movement of the old Smith "clocks". It seems the Mini designers used a Vincent Black Shadow's 5" speedo("clock" in Brit speak) as inspiration in those gauges. Those Smith's moved like an old Chronometric watch, as they were all mechanical ,the needle snapped quickly to one point and another . Maybe get rid of the BMW red tones and replace them with old English white light and black backgrounds,too.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:25 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I usually see things from a technical-usefulness perspective. Because of that, I don't like the fake burble. When I hear it I only cringe of mis-tuned engine. I realize many people like the nostalgia of muscle cars with oversized carburetors that couldn't properly manage their fuel, however there is no technical reason for consciously implementing such a "feature" in a current turbo/GDI engine. I would much prefer a loud exhaust that has good sound quality than hearing my engine management flagrantly dumping in excess fuel for my amusement when I'm off the throttle. I prefer to save my fuel for when I want to actually propel the car.

That is my take on it, I hope you can understand.
The burble on the 1st gen MINI was born out of nostalgia for the Classic Mini. It had nothing to do with muscle cars

Old 03-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
Adding AWD... as well as the convienience of power seats, wheel, mirrors... add weight. Fine as an option, but I wouldn't want them as mandatory equipment. As much as MINIs should remain small, I think it's equally importantant they remain light.

My favorite things about MINIs in general= Short wheelbase. Wide Trac. Light weight.
Agreed. I would want them, but they should be options, as should any larger value items.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
There is so much about the MINI that is there for it's iconic purposes --- that was the main reason it was brought back by BMW in the first place. But, let's please keep on point. The point of the thread is to express wishes for the what should be available on the car, after all MINI is boasting that no two MINI's are alike.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:48 AM
lava
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
I really like the steering column mounted dual gauges on my 03 ,the new Minis have them too. What I would like to suggest is to make the gauge needles reproduce the movement of the old Smith "clocks". It seems the Mini designers used a Vincent Black Shadow's 5" speedo("clock" in Brit speak) as inspiration in those gauges. Those Smith's moved like an old Chronometric watch, as they were all mechanical ,the needle snapped quickly to one point and another . Maybe get rid of the BMW red tones and replace them with old English white light and black backgrounds,too.
I think the chrono gauges move like this because behind the scenes they are digital, and not analog gauges as they appear. I have read that there is a way to get the data to display on the OBC.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:52 AM
C4
Banned
Oh here we go again about the gauges....

Quick Reply: R56 Improvement Ideas