R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Engine ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 PM
lava
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gabe
Ticking at idle is normal characteristic of direct injection engines. What's in the video is so poor quality that I can't tell if it's normal or not. However it is normal to hear ticking at idle on the R56 MINIs.
Originally Posted by C4
The BMW engineer has to cover his butt during a high profile product launch press conference. You think Sonntag would have admitted right then and there that the valve clatter noise was indeed not normal? Of course not!
This is just great. C4 has gone on record that the noise is valve clatter, and not the fuel injection. He should know, because we know he has done lots of research to determine that other direct injection systems never make this sound. Or perhaps he just has no credibility.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:10 PM
spykdpunch
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He should know, because we know he has done lots of research to determine that other direct injection systems never make this sound. Or perhaps he just has no credibility.
My money is on the latter.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:50 AM
tracker175tx
1st Gear
Engine ticking?

Has anyone experienced an engine ticking with thier R56? Picked ours up a month ago and when we start it, it sounds like a diesel.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:42 AM
vader
4th Gear
I believe that I read somewhere that the ticking noise can be attributed to the new common rail direct fuel injection system. Only audible at idle.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:48 AM
marksmith
3rd Gear
tick tock...

Yep, even Audi's 2.L turbo direct inject engines tick like this. I don't know the source but suspect it's the FSI technology or what ever Mini call's it.
If the car makes odd-ball noise at idle it more than makes up for it at WOT (great soundtrack!)

Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 AM
HotRodPilot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by spykdpunch
My money is on the latter.

+1

To a degree, the 2.0T makes the same sound, and I've heard the DI - Turbo 2.0L in the Kappa cars makes the sound too

Old 03-19-2007, 06:17 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
The deisel sound at idle is normal. If it's excessive very load it might be an issue -- someone posted a video that was definately very load and definately indicated a problem. For peace of mind I would go to your dealer and listen to a couple of other Ss to compare.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 AM
lava
5th Gear
Yes, normal sound of the fuel injection. Gabe at MotoringFile posted info about this during the press intro in AZ.

ps - don't let certain members here that are trying to make a fuss out of this non-issue bother you.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 AM
lava
5th Gear
We should let this get back on topic, because the issue was the engine was making a noise that was louder than the fuel injection.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 AM
C4
Banned
Yawn!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 AM
C4
Banned

Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by lava
This is just great. C4 has gone on record that the noise is valve clatter, and not the fuel injection. He should know, because we know he has done lots of research to determine that other direct injection systems never make this sound. Or perhaps he just has no credibility.

Easy on the personal attacks buddy

Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
A small ticking sound at idle is a normal characteristic for this engine. If you hear loud or irregular noises then get it checked.

I think it's a bit quieter than on the newer Audi/VWs. For the small amount of hood insulation I think my MCS is remarkably quiet and the engine is amazingly smooth. More so than any 4 cylinder I have experienced.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lava
ps - don't let certain members here that are trying to make a fuss out of this non-issue bother you.
It is an issue if someone has a question about it. Can't you ever just answer a question without trying to turn it into something divisive? Not everyone has your prickly, argumentative view of the world, you know. This place would be a lot more pleasant if you'd quit trying to spread it around.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
It is an issue if someone has a question about it. Can't you ever just answer a question without trying to turn it into something divisive? Not everyone has your prickly, argumentative view of the world, you know.
Yeah, I am sure it is just another one of those R56 improvements

Old 03-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
If I may. Posting a query about something you do not know about is usually not classified as an 'issue'. Information gathering is a process, not a problem.

Hopefully we all learn a bit as we go forward. I did not know about this mechanical noise, as the Mini's I have driven were already warmed up.

But I am curious about it now. Given my tenacity to acquire knowledge about the car I am driving, I will endeavor to find out why the fuel injection system makes any noise at all.

By the way, is this with an MC or MCS?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
Easy on the personal attacks buddy
Originally Posted by C4
It will at some point. Wait until it drives you nuts.

yep, no personal attacks, just call other people's MINIs junk. and hope they don't call you out.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Question answered?

Originally Posted by tracker175tx
Has anyone experienced an engine ticking with thier R56? Picked ours up a month ago and when we start it, it sounds like a diesel.
Has your question been answered to your satisfaction?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Here is an excerpt from a VW post that may be similar to how the MINI engine operates at cold start that could lead to more noise than other times:

The 2.0L turbo operates in two modes. Cold-start conditions initiate a dual-injection mode for rapid heating of the dual catalytic converters. A quantity of fuel is injected on the intake stroke around 300 degrees BTDC of ignition, and the fuel distributes itself homogenously because of the long gap before ignition. A second injection, around 60 degrees BTDC of ignition during the compression phase, forms a rich mixture around the spark plug, which allows a considerable degree of retarded timing without affecting the engine’s stability. Normal mode and stoichometric levels begin quickly, when the catalytic converters have reached operating temperature, usually within 30-40 seconds

Old 03-19-2007, 10:54 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
If I may. Posting a query about something you do not know about is usually not classified as an 'issue'. Information gathering is a process, not a problem.
If the car makes a conspicuous noise that is not mentioned in the manual and that the dealer fails to mention, that is an "issue," regardless of whether or not the sound is normal and harmless.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
But conspicuous is in the eye of the beholder. The manual does not specify every noise a car will make. Most people do not have enough mechnical knowledge of the vehicle to make the judgement call as to whether or not something sounds wrong.

Only until the information is gathered can one make a proper assessment as to it being an issue or something quite normal.

It appears to me he is asking a question. A good start to find out if there is a problem or not. Definately the course I would take if I heard something I did not understand.

EDIT: By the way chrisneal, maybe we are seeing it from a different perspective. Not trying to be confrontational here. Just offering up a different view point.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 AM
C4
Banned
Never used the word "junk".

The prickly, derisive attitude of some R56 apologists here is simply amazing. they love to twist everything to their convenience and turn discussions/debates about VALID subjects into flame wars and verbal attack fests. Grow up!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by planeguy
Yeah, I am sure it is just another one of those R56 improvements
You know the old saying, runs like a Swiss watch? Perhaps this is designed to make it sound like a Swiss watch. Tick, tick, tick...

Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
It will at some point. Wait until it drives you nuts.
Doubtful, my turbo charged Eclipse GSX (4G63) used to make the same exact sound and I was used to hearing it. You get used to it and it just becomes a sound the car makes like anything else like say....a burble

Old 03-19-2007, 12:25 PM
C4
Banned
But the burble is the burble!!!!

Quick Reply: R56 Engine ticking?