R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Alarm and Storage Box Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alarm and Storage Box Update

I just heard from my MA about the alarm and storage box. The alarm is supposed to be available "by the end of March" but there is no price yet.

My MA says that the storage box has been locked due to rattles and will not be open unless the cd changer or i-pod adapter is ordered.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
The MA also says that all MCs's and MC's are supposed to come with a jack and tool kit.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
My understanding is the MC comes with a jack, toolkit, and spare tire (at least the ones I have looked at all do), and the MCS only has the toolkit.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 AM
xof711
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the update!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
My understanding is the MC comes with a jack, toolkit, and spare tire (at least the ones I have looked at all do), and the MCS only has the toolkit.
My MA says the S has the jack, too.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
That very well could be LynnEl. I am not sure what is supposed to be in the MCS as I only inquired about the MC and verified it.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang, so now I'm thinking even harder about the iPod adapter. Getting the CD changer wouldn't allow me to have the thing open and used, and I really don't need multiple CDs.

And I've already bought the Belkin charger/amp to use for aux in, along with a swiveled 12V adapter so I can run the radar detector at the same time, and I'm getting a wee holder to maybe be able to hold my nano, so I'm already in this for a few bucks.

I think I'm gonna wait.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:41 PM
manifest
3rd Gear
I talked to my MA tonight (got my production number!) and asked him about the storage compartment above the glove box. He said that all the Mini's he's received recently have had the compartment open and in full working order.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 PM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
Originally Posted by manifest
I talked to my MA tonight (got my production number!) and asked him about the storage compartment above the glove box. He said that all the Mini's he's received recently have had the compartment open and in full working order.
That's very good news because I'm picking my MINI up in two weeks!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Ohhhh cool. Mine should be working then as well. WOOT!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Geeeeez. Guess we will just have to wait and see. Is anyone else beginning to wonder if MINI has a clue????

Old 03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
dneal
4th Gear
Is anyone else beginning to wonder if MINI has a clue????
I think the issue is MA's having a clue. They're still just car salespeople. Some will have "done their homework", some not.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Dirny
1st Gear
My SA is waiting on the parts to open mine up again. She has been very good to me over the years and I take her at her word that she will get it functional again as soon as she can. I would make it a point to ask to have it opened back up as soon as possible.

I will report back as soon as I get my upper storage open, maybe sometime in April.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:44 PM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know why I just thought of this, but once they get the door working again, wouldn't that be a great place for a "snake in the can" type of gag?

Time it to pop out a half second after the door is all the way up. A small discrete "Don't Press Here" label. Instant comedy.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:04 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My question is that since it is an "Advertised" option in the mini brochure will they have a retrofit for the owners that it is sealed up on? I know I really liked the secret door and rattles or not, that would be false advertising. so I wonder what they have up their sleeves.
Originally Posted by inomis
I don't know why I just thought of this, but once they get the door working again, wouldn't that be a great place for a "snake in the can" type of gag?

Time it to pop out a half second after the door is all the way up. A small discrete "Don't Press Here" label. Instant comedy.
haha I love the "Don't press here" gag idea.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
lava
5th Gear
Originally Posted by manifest
If they have new hardware at the factory, then perhaps the retrofit is coming soon.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
The idea that they would just seal something up and leave it, rather than engineer a fix is bothersome. If that is true about the storage box, makes me wonder what else was handled like that. I didn't live that far from Chernobul... Not a comfy feeling.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 PM
dstock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
The idea that they would just seal something up and leave it, rather than engineer a fix is bothersome. If that is true about the storage box, makes me wonder what else was handled like that. I didn't live that far from Chernobul... Not a comfy feeling.
Sorry for your Chernobyl experience but equating a temporarily sealed storage box to a nuclear power plant meltdown?

That's a little much even for this list!

Old 03-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
LynnEl, I would imagine they sealed it up to give them time to engineer a proper fix. The problem is not life-threatening nor does it have any ability to cause catestrophic failure of the vehicle.

So, a temporary work-around seems quite appropriate to me. But then, I am an engineer, so I may have a biased perspective on the subject.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:07 PM
minimaximini
3rd Gear
Box update

Just came back from a bunch of upgrades (steel pedals, "old style" arm rest, sports stripes and so one). Nice, clean job.

I bought the iPod stowage box ($10) in hope that they will open the compartment and they will install the iPod box (fyi - my compartment was open before delivery and was subsequently closed at delivery). The iPod Stowage box is just a box (duh!) that keeps the items touch the CD changer connector that is visible in the back of the compartment.

They did not open it. I was told that there IS a recall on the door/compartment and there will be a solution but - for now - they are not allowed (by MINI) to open it. Down-the-line (unknown when, though) they might open it (for the CD changer and the iPod adapter only).

BTW - for those interested in the Sports strips: I ordered them for the MC (non-S). They are ... nice. They are different from the regular ones in 2 ways (in fact 3): 1. they do not have the white thin border that the regular ones have - so there is less contrast (it is ok for me - my roof is black and my car is Pure silver - so I am fine with that. I think it is more of an issue with bright color paint - the white border really makes them stand out). 2. the strips run on the bonnet (duh again!) but also on the trunk, and that is quite nice. 3. they are less expensive than the "regular" ones by $14 (bah!).

MMM

Old 03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
LynnEl, I would imagine they sealed it up to give them time to engineer a proper fix. The problem is not life-threatening nor does it have any ability to cause catestrophic failure of the vehicle.

So, a temporary work-around seems quite appropriate to me. But then, I am an engineer, so I may have a biased perspective on the subject.
My point was, that if they couldn't fix such a simple thing quickly, I worry about what more complex things they "fixed" by burrying them.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I think it is a matter of priority more than anything else. We are not really privvy to what they have on their plate. And that is just a guess.

I see this happening all the time in engineering a product. We get handed 12 items they want changed and we tell them to prioritize them as they cannot all be worked on at one time. On occasion the 'domino effect' will automatically set the priority based on the head item.

This happens in software more than most engineers want to talke about.

I can see your point, but I also can see a perspective which makes it an insignificant item to be concerned about.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Beached1
1st Gear
I picked up my BRG/W MCS last Saturday. My MA told me the compartment was sealed shut. Wrong!! I opened it up this morning by pressing in on both ends. Thanks to the 5 yr old that figured it out and her dad who posted it on NAM!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Okay, last week my MA said the box is open if you order either the cd changer or the i-pod adapter. Now she says there are 3 different glove boxes. So, assuming the ipod/cd changers are put in the storage area, are we to assume that (1) people who have the ipod adapter or cd changer will just have to live with a rattle, or (2) the rattle has been fixed. Or, (3) are those items now being put in the regular glove box????

Old 03-23-2007, 11:42 AM
dneal
4th Gear
Okay, last week my MA said the box is open if you order either the cd changer or the i-pod adapter. Now she says there are 3 different glove boxes.

Like I said earlier... I think the issue is MA's having a clue. They're still just car salespeople. Some will have "done their homework", some not.

Quick Reply: R56 Alarm and Storage Box Update