R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is Comfort Access Option worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:27 AM
ejkd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Comfort Access Option worth it??

Hello,

I am about to finalized my order (USA) and nagging question persist in mind if the Comfort Access (got cool keys) worth the extra $500??? I love those keys not that price. Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Shadowgram
2nd Gear
I have comfort acess on mine as part of the Premium package. As for getting it as a stand alone option? It depends on how much you are willing to pay for the "wow" factor. The comfort access allows you to unlock and lock the car/boot and start the car without taking your key our of your pocket. You still need to press the button on the handle to lock and unlock though. There is as far as I know no auto lock function.
I like that option because I hate having to find my keys when I am holding my groceries or bags of stuff especially in the rain.
But is that really worth $500 you have to decide yourself.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 AM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
I got it on my MCS and now I can't live without it.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have it ordered on mine. My Lexus is keyless and I got sooooo spoiled by it. I am really curious how it compares as I have not seen an 07 Mini with this option yet.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
I don't speak from experience but if I was ordering I would just have to have it

Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If you're thinking it costs too much then it's not worth it. It does very little for $500. The regular key is very easy to put in the slot. I'd rather have the key in the slot than my pocket while I'm driving. May be a bit more useful if you always carry a purse or whatever with you to store the key.

Would be cool if it were a nice watch you could wear or a microchip you could get implanted but no, it's just a $500 dollar key that stays in your pocket.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
welp, if it works like the Lexus system, then it will be worth it to me. I'll let you know when mine arrives.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:31 AM
vader
4th Gear
OOps, misread earlier post. Nevermind!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 AM
xof711
2nd Gear
It's def. convienent... worth the extra $500 - I dunno

Old 03-19-2007, 01:13 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
I have this option. It is curious. What I don't really know is how different are the various features when you don't have it. Basically, with comfort access, you never have to touch the key at all. Walk up to the MINI, click on the door handle, hop in, depress the clutch and hit start. When you leave, just walk away, and the autolock kicks in. (There are three settings for autolock, off, drive-away and timed) I think that for bad neighborhoods, comfort access is probably a great idea. But otherwise, it might be a bit over-the-top. Since I bought my car from Towson, this was one of the options already on the car. So far, the most worthwhile options are in order of importance... limited slip differential, cold weather package, sunroof. The LSD really does help keep the wheels from spinning, heated seats rock and of course having sunshine in your MINI, well, what could be better?

ps. Checked out the MINI last night. The timed autolock seems to work only when the key is in the car, so kind of useless. I want proximity lock, where you turn off the engine hop out and walk away with your key and once out to a preset distance, the car doors looks and the windows roll up. Oh, and the ablative body armour deploys along with a force sheild for parking in bad neighborhoods! LOL.

One interesting feature I found last night... if you are locking the car, and push and hold the black door button, the windows do roll up and the sunroof closes. The remote won't do that. In reverse, if you walk up to the car, and hold down the open button on the remote, windows roll down and sunroof cracks open a little. Unlocking with the black button won't do that.

Last edited by z3bum; 03-20-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added some info
Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Well, I was not going to order it at all. There is a back story (you knew there had to be one).

When I was ordering the car, the sales person asked notedeach item I listed. Then mentioned some other items (hey, she wants to make a buck, nothing wrong with that). When she mentioned the comfort thing, the Wife looks at me and says, "What? Why didn't you order it? You love that on the Lexus?!!!?"

Me: Well honey, I was just trying to save a bit. It is a $500 option.
Her: I do not care if it is $10,000 option. You love that feature on the Lexus.
Her to sales person: Put it down for him.
Me: Ahh honey. That was sweet (woot! yes! yes!).

Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
|I do not see this as a wow feature,but rather a safety feature.If my wife can enter the car and hit the start button without inserting the key, so i can feel more comfortable about it when she is out alone.Q

Old 03-19-2007, 01:35 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ejkd, you mentioned liking those "cool keys." FWIW, the regular "key" isn't a key in the traditional sense. It's round, and fits in a slot. I can do that. IMO, I've got better things to buy with $500.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
My Wife will never drive my Cooper.

She does not want to be held responsible if something were to happen to it wheil she was driving it. Plus, it is a standard transmission and she is a bit awkward with those.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got it because I thought it would be a cool feature. I haven't tried the timed autolock, but I might try that.

The thing that bothers me about it is sometimes it takes 2-3 times to get it to realize that yes, I'm standing right here and want to unlock the door. But usually it works.

I love not having to fish a key out of my pocket.

Is it worth $500?

I didn't even think about it. I've compromised on cool options before in cars, and I've always regretted it, so this time I decided to just spec what I wanted and then see if the final price made me scared. It didn't, so I got it. Same reasoning was behind the folding mirrors. Sheer ABW feature for me.

Now the iPod adapter -- $300 would be fine if it INCLUDED installation...but $600 to allow me to change songs from the steering wheel, and click through folders and playlists on the radio instead of messing with the iPod itself? That's a bit high.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:37 PM
R56MCS
Banned
I didn't go for it 'cos I'm too mean and don't miss what I've never had.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
It's round, and fits in a slot. I can do that. IMO, I've got better things to buy with $500.
Or, you can just leave it in your pocket. That's what makes it cool. $500 cool, that is for each to decide for themselves. I went with the whole Convenience package at the last minute. Hope I like it.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
The verdict is still out for me. I thought it was going to be a really awesome feature, my keys were always inevitably at the bottom of my purse and difficult to find. Now that I have it, the fob is so large that my keys no longer disappear in my purse. Im also finding that old habits die hard, I still grab my keys and carry them until I get to the car pretty much making the Comfort Access pointless.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Love the convenience. Worth every penny not to have to dig into my pocket to unlock the doors while holding groceries. For those who say you have to press the black button on the handle, I have to grab the handle to open the door anyway. It is definitely worth the $500 in the long run. I have spent money on sillier things in my life. Funny thing is, now when I get in my wife's truck, I get annoyed at having to get out a key to unlock (even to hit the unlock on the fob) and then turn on the truck.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM
web1
Neutral
I'm think about it because I have to carry around alot of keys and people say the weight of a heavy key ring will damage your ignition.
Having to pull the key off the key chain before starting the car is inconvenient.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BTW -- I tried the time locking feature. It didn't ever lock.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:31 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
BTW -- I tried the time locking feature. It didn't ever lock.
Well of course not! If you come back to check, it unlocks!!

Just kiddin'

Old 03-20-2007, 04:42 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Shadowgram
I have comfort acess on mine as part of the Premium package. As for getting it as a stand alone option? It depends on how much you are willing to pay for the "wow" factor.
It's in the Premium Package? I thought it was in the Convienience Package (with the blootooth, garage door opener, rain sensing wipers and auto dimming mirror and stuff). I skipped it, personnaly.

Originally Posted by dwdyer
I Now the iPod adapter -- $300 would be fine if it INCLUDED installation...but $600 to allow me to change songs from the steering wheel, and click through folders and playlists on the radio instead of messing with the iPod itself? That's a bit high.
Especially when a quality cable to fit in the AUX port is only $20! Even $300 just to control the iPod from the wheel and see the title of the song displayed... I skipped it, too!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:58 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
if I could re-order I would get the convienence package. The comfort access is nice, but I really want the bluetooth after testing it in another MINI. I ordered the armrest, auto wipers and auto headlight seperately.

the ala cart options plus $600 for the bluetooth would make a little more $ for the comfort access a no brainer for me. I didn't think I'd care for the bluetooth when I placed my order. I wish I had it now.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Ok, I am curious MotorMouth. I have nothing which has Bluetooth, but I think my Wife's Blackberry does (I really have no clue about that thing). What does having Bluetooth in the Mini do for you?

I did not order it in my Mini as I really do not know what it does for you.

Quick Reply: R56 Is Comfort Access Option worth it??