R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 r56 Engaging point.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:37 AM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r56 Engaging point.

well i have a r56 (PICTURES TO COME SOON :D) and it seems as though the catch point is very late..... is it me (being a new stick driver), or is it much earilier on.... for smoother shifts. i have to let go of the clutch almost at the very end. :P.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 AM
R56MCS
Banned
Mine is in the middle of the pedal travel, I am sure you can have this altered by adjusting the clutch cable.

this said you will get used to it quickly.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by R56MCS
Mine is in the middle of the pedal travel, I am sure you can have this altered by adjusting the clutch cable.
This would be very tough to do since the MINI's clutch pedal is strictly hydraulic!

With the R53's clutch, from the factory it would start engaging very low to the floor, then as it wore out [over the next 50-150k miles] the initial engagement point would rise closer to the middle/top.

With the R56 clutch, it seems the pedal engagement area starts in the middle. Only time will tell if it shifts over time like the R53's stock clutch.

All that said, the clutch is very "German" in feel, meaning it has lots of modulation, and definitely not a "switch" like most race clutches, and to some extent most American cars' clutch feel.

Since you're new to manual transmissions, everything is going to feel weird for a while. You'll get used to it.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:25 AM
msmith81
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
This would be very tough to do since the MINI's clutch pedal is strictly hydraulic!

If it's a hydraulic assembly, it should be adjustable. Hence why some people have a clutch that begins to engage at one point, and others have one that engages later.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:37 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Mine feels like it catches towards the top end of things, very different feel from any domestic stick I've driven but I think it should be a tad easier for a manual newbie to drive as they typically let the clutch out before they give it enough gas...

Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
dneal
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by msmith81
If it's a hydraulic assembly, it should be adjustable. Hence why some people have a clutch that begins to engage at one point, and others have one that engages later.
I think he meant that it would be hard to adjust the cable, since it's a hydraulic system.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
Yeah, the clutch definitely does bite very high. I noticed it as all our cars are manual trans and when I get out of the GTi and into the Mini I really notice the long pedal travel.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:47 AM
dneal
4th Gear
I've experienced it a lot in japanese cars, to the point that I'm used to clutches doing that. Depending on where the clutch actuates internally, it can be difficult to adjust; and some are self-adjusting.

Now if it was the old '69 Ford 3/4 ton doing that... I'd be checking the linkage.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:55 AM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
I have no idea on the r56, but on the r53, there is no way to adjust the clutch. I would assume it is a similar type of hydrolic setup on the r56.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Loui
4th Gear
Clutches are expensive to replace, and can be ruined in a few thousand miles. I would suggest a couple of driving lessons. The essence of using a stick and clutch is smooth shifts.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Loui
Clutches are expensive to replace, and can be ruined in a few thousand miles. I would suggest a couple of driving lessons. The essence of using a stick and clutch is smooth shifts.
Are they really that fragile these days? The original clutch in my Integra has 120K miles on it. I kept asking the dealer to check it and its fine. How do you ruin a clutch these days? In a '57 Alfa Romeo, a cousin managed to trash the throw-out bearings. Is that still a vulnerable part?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:40 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Are they really that fragile these days? The original clutch in my Integra has 120K miles on it. I kept asking the dealer to check it and its fine. How do you ruin a clutch these days? In a '57 Alfa Romeo, a cousin managed to trash the throw-out bearings. Is that still a vulnerable part?
Hard shifting isn't as likely to wear out a clutch these days as riding it will.

BTW -- has anyone else noticed that it's easier to smooth shift with sport mode on? That one's puzzling me.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer

BTW -- has anyone else noticed that it's easier to smooth shift with sport mode on? That one's puzzling me.

I have as well... found it odd.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Peef
1st Gear
No doubt about it - smoother shifts in Sport mode.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
The only problem I had with the standard was the clutch pedel requires so little effort the weight of my leg would depress it. So I am forced to hold my leg up off the pedal. A little awkward. I hope I can find a clutch return spring to add and bolster that up a bit.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Loui
4th Gear
Yep, riding the clutch will wear it out in no time.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
The only problem I had with the standard was the clutch pedel requires so little effort the weight of my leg would depress it. So I am forced to hold my leg up off the pedal. A little awkward. I hope I can find a clutch return spring to add and bolster that up a bit.
I did notice that when I was playing around in an R56 at the dealer a couple of weeks back. There seems to be more resistance in the clutch on my R53. The travel of the pedal seems different as well.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 AM
swissarmybottle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
... you must have a heavy leg

kidding.

to stay on topic, although this is my first ever manual car (i stalled so many times... over rev'd it from 0 too many times... tried to switch gears without clutching too many times... etc) i blame the location of the catch point. I swear, it's pretty much right at the top... so i think, "yes, it's on now... i could just let go of the.... <<stall>> "

i do agree with some of you about the "sport-mode" smooth shifting suaveness. I like it, but I'm just worried sport-mode is bad on gas mileage... is it?

Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Hehe swissarmybottle. Imagine my shock when I went to shift and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor when I relaxed my leg to shift (thought I was going to blow the engine on that missed shift). I actually had to pull my foot up to engage the clutch. The pedal would not come up while my foot/leg was resting on it. I am tall (6'4"), but I am also slender (205 pounds).

Makes it tough to shift quickly. The engagement point was about halfway up. About 3/4 was full. Pretty linear. I thought it was a bit too long though. I am used to linear engagements, but with slightly less pedal travel.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
The new transmission is a Getrag, what BMW uses in their 1 and 3 series cars. It should have a very long life and definitely results in (for me) very smooth shifts.

Curiously, the sport button does affect the startup for me. In non-sport, there is a little lag in first gear when you first let out the clutch and hit the gas. In sport mode the MINI takes off instantly. However, I found that if you blip the throttle as you go into first and let out the clutch smoothly, it takes off nicely.

It's all good, loving the new MINI.

Originally Posted by dwdyer
Hard shifting isn't as likely to wear out a clutch these days as riding it will.