R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:58 AM
TFM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak

6 weeks of waiting are over, STÖPSL (German equivalent to Munchkin, cute little thing) finally arrive on Friday.

Besides the kids going crazy over it, it is great fun indeed. Some thoughts:
  • Originally wanted to have British Racing Green, but don't particular care for the metallic BRG (would have prefered the original) and in combination with Redwood Red it looks to Christmassy (see other post a few days ago with pics). The Astro Black looks great, depending on the sun falling on it, it is almost a dark dark blueish tone - very cool
  • Redwood Red: have seen a bunch of pictures, ranging from orange to bright red, the actual color is actually a more loungy brownish red, quite beautiful but not quite as splashy as some pictures make it. Super Comfortable seats, though - better than the standard ones by far.
  • English Oak: the verdict is still out on this one - it is nice, but with a hindsight I might have opted for Piano Black Lacquer
  • English Oak would look great if the Steering Wheel would be in wood as ordered - the leather is not particularly nice, it does not feel rich, has no stitching and appears to be pretty middle of the road. Wooden Steering wheel will be installed at no expense to me (duh!, I already paid for it) in the next two months.
  • Chrome Interior & Exterior are nice features
  • Anthrazid (dark grey, almost black) interior roof is fabulous, this is problably the first feature I would recommend to everybody to get, it looks so much nicer than the mouse grey that is standard (I have added pictures a few postings further down of this)
  • Bluetooth works great with Blackberry Pearl, good communication even when motoring with the windows down
  • Not friends yet with the Comfort Access yet - have not figured out yet when it opens what door and unfortunately the different keys don't seem to remember the mirror settings as I switch cars with my wife.
  • Hifi system is okay, certainly not great - $550 seems to be a bit of a rip-off for the quality provided. Having said that, it is not bad either, was just hoping for more.
  • I-Pod connector not available in Las Vegas yet
  • Love the sunroof, Bi-Xenons etc that came with the Sports Package
  • Limited Slip Differential: right up there with the headline in must-get items . I believe it will pay for itself in less tire use and considering the substantial power of the engine on the front wheels it safes you the embarrassing squeeching tires. I might be wrong, but I think it also controls the torque-steer a bit better (compared to the test drive a few weeks ago)
  • Sport Suspension with 17" wheels - answered the question a few posts earlier how the COOP video does the sliding rear (other than handbreak). The car is almost perfectly balanced and does not understeer, I actually had a bit of an oversteer at some point - this will need to be explored on the track.
  • It is next to impossible to drive 35mph with the car, before you know it you are at 60mph.
  • I now understand why peoples smile in their MINIs, getting to place is so easy and so much fun, makes every other car almost cumbersome to go to run little errands that are just another excuse to drive the MINI.
  • MINI drivers don't seem to greet each other (Motorcycles do, Miata's do, 2CV do, but apparently not MINIs)
  • Breaking the car in gently is not easy , it is just too much fun to rev it up a bit (resulting in a bit of a smell of the car)
  • Let me know if you have any questions - great little car indeed

Attached Thumbnails Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-01.jpg   Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-05.jpg   Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-07.jpg  

Last edited by TFM; 03-27-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Details added
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 AM
TFM
2nd Gear
Some more pictures of STÖPSL

Attached Thumbnails Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-21-inside.jpg   Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-24-inside.jpg   Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-29-inside.jpg  
Old 03-26-2007, 10:10 AM
W84R56
1st Gear
Maybe the coolest looking Mini I have ever seen, seriously. Congratulations.

I'll try to share some pix of mine, if I can get to it later - All black. I love it too, and concur with everything you said about the experience of driving it.

BTW - What did you do to add your pictures like that? (I've seen them posted a number of ways, and I prefer the way you did.)

- R

Last edited by W84R56; 03-26-2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add question
Old 03-26-2007, 10:12 AM
TFM
2nd Gear
Another Batch ...

Attached Thumbnails Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-06.jpg   Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-25-inside.jpg   Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-28-inside.jpg  
Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 AM
TFM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by W84R56

BTW - What did you do to add your pictures like that? (I've seen them posted a number of ways, and I prefer the way you did.)

- R
About 2 inches below the Submit Reply button is a button labeled Manage Attachements - it opens another window where you can browse your harddrive and attach files

Old 03-26-2007, 10:36 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
Interesting comment about Mini drivers greating each other...

In Northern NJ, I've been greeted by at least half of the Mini Drivers that I've seen on the road... (more so on secondary roads than the highways)

Old 03-26-2007, 10:36 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TFM
  • Bluetooth works great with Blackberry Pearl, good communication even when motoring with the windows down
Excellent! Theory predicts this, but empirical verification is always good! Thanks. Nice car.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Nice car. That's not the lounge leather is it? Good move on the wood steering wheel. One thing I learned about the Arizona sun and leather steering wheels: whatever the padding is under the leather will come seeping out of the seams some day. Wood is solid, leather is not.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 AM
sertag
Neutral
Great car and great write up
i will get my mcs hopefully by friday,Asto black,black roof,black interior.
i am glad that besides looking terrific the seats are comfertable too

will post a lot of pics when i get her...in the mean time will lust looking to others minis

happy driving

Old 03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
TFM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Nice car. That's not the lounge leather is it? .

It is the Lounge Leather - Redwood Red ...

Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 AM
korby
6th Gear
Nice car!At $300 for run flats I,d keep it out of construction sites.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:06 PM
bluzeke
4th Gear
Hmmm . . . I share your slight doubts somewhat on the Oak with the Redwood. It doesn't quite come across the way I'd predicted it would in my mind. It's almost as if the Red is stealing the thunder of the Oak a bit. Perhaps the wood steering wheel will help balance this out.

Nevertheless, still a very striking and beautiful car. Congratulations!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:33 PM
IS2000
2nd Gear
Beautiful car!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:49 PM
radiospace
2nd Gear
That's a gorgeous car.

Could you post a couple of photos showing the anthracite headliner better? I don't believe I've seen a photo of that.

You say that headliner would be one of your first "must get" options, but personally I worry that the anthracite headliner would make the car feel smaller inside, a bit claustrophobic....especially if I don't get a sunroof. Do you think these fears are unfounded?

Old 03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
MiniMartha
1st Gear
WOW now thats a mini!!! congrats looks GREAT!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 PM
uter
2nd Gear
Great looking car. Like the exterior trim choices.

Are you in AZ? (no front plate, desert flora, new construction in pics)

If so, bring the car to the dynamic mini collective's next meet at the Pavillions!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
spykdpunch
3rd Gear
The car looks fantastic. That color combo is one of the best I've seen, especially when the light hits the paint and that slight blue comes out... it's great with the redwood red interior.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
AddLightness
1st Gear
TFM, thanks for posting the pictures-like I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm considering the exact combo you have (Astro, White Roof, Redwood). Couldn't really decide on the stripes, and I must say that they look great.

When you get the wood steering wheel, please post updates!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:13 AM
TFM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by uter
Great looking car. Like the exterior trim choices.

Are you in AZ? (no front plate, desert flora, new construction in pics)

If so, bring the car to the dynamic mini collective's next meet at the Pavillions!
I am actually in Las Vegas - but this might be a great excuse for a little weekend motoring action ...

Old 03-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Dang nmce looking Mini. I envy you guys not having to put a front license plate on the car. I wish I could get away with that. Makes the car soooo much nicer looking.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 AM
TFM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by radiospace
That's a gorgeous car.

Could you post a couple of photos showing the anthracite headliner better? I don't believe I've seen a photo of that.

You say that headliner would be one of your first "must get" options, but personally I worry that the anthracite headliner would make the car feel smaller inside, a bit claustrophobic....especially if I don't get a sunroof. Do you think these fears are unfounded?

Here you go - it is really quite neat ...

Attached Thumbnails Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-30-inside-s.jpg   Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-31-inside-s.jpg   Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak-stopsl-mini-pic-32-inside-s.jpg  
Old 03-27-2007, 10:31 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I kinda looks like indoor/outdoor carpeting, or felt. Is that what it feels like?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 PM
TFM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I kinda looks like indoor/outdoor carpeting, or felt. Is that what it feels like?
yup, it does, though it does not feel cheapish

Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 PM
dchautin
3rd Gear
I have almost the same car with the tan leather...i love it too..the wood next to the leather..so sweet. it's very refined...will post some on mine..i am getting white stripes tomorrow with a checkered sunroof graphic. excited.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dchautin
....with a checkered sunroof graphic. excited.
What's up with the checkered sunroof deal? In the configurator I couldn't figure out what it was. Does it just stick onto the sunroof, or what?

Quick Reply: R56 Astro Black with Redwood Red & Oak