R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Scratch in piano black ring on driver's door

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Scratch in piano black ring on driver's door

I thought maybe it was just a scuff or something that could be rubbed off. Tried to rub it off, but it was gouged into the finish. It's something I couldn't notice at the dealer when I picked it up, but I noticed it in the sun today.

So here is the question: Will mini replace it? It's just a small plastic trim piece, and I'm pretty sure the cost would be low. It definitely looks like it probably came from the factory that way. I only wear rubber shoes, so I know for a fact it couldn't have been me.

What do you guys/gals think?

I think it should be replaced since I only had it since Sunday.. what do you all think?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:47 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
So here is the question: Will mini replace it? It definitely looks like it probably came from the factory that way. I only wear rubber shoes, so I know for a fact it couldn't have been me.

I think it should be replaced since I only had it since Sunday.. what do you all think?
Well, if you didn't point it out at pick up... and it's a scratch (vs. a mechanical defect)... good luck convincing your MINI dealer that you didn't do it and they should replace the part at no cost to you. How can you PROVE it was there at that time (pics, maybe)?

I believe what you are saying. But convincing someone else enough for them to pay for it . Unless you have a spectacular relationship with your MINI dealer, I think you're SOL. Sorry (good luck, though ... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you).

Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If I were you, I'd call your MA immediately, first thing in the morning, and tell him exactly what you told us. I think some dealerships, back in 2002, did replace certain interior doorhandles/doorgrabs when the silver was too easily worn or damaged very soon after delivery. It is worth asking about, for sure.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:51 PM
R56MCS
Banned
Do as Clo suggests its your only chance, though I doubt the MA will go for it.

Best of luck.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
...It's just a small plastic trim piece, and I'm pretty sure the cost would be low...
FYI, while the R53 interior has many small, low cost and easy to replace plastic pieces, the door rings are secured with melted plastic rivets, so you have to get the entire panel. They USED to list for $437...

Old 03-28-2007, 12:50 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
well maybe I'll just have to live with it. Who knows. It just sucks it was in the showroom when I picked it up, and it was something that is kinda hard to notice in low-light situations. I just had the car in the sun basically today since it rained monday, and I didn't get a chance to really inspect it really well on pick-up day.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:55 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
FYI, while the R53 interior has many small, low cost and easy to replace plastic pieces, the door rings are secured with melted plastic rivets, so you have to get the entire panel. They USED to list for $437...
I believe fjork_duf has an R56. The good news is that in the R56, the individual trim pieces are available without having to get an entire door panel: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...77&hg=51&fg=50. The bad news is that a lot of people are having trouble obtaining R56 parts.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
It's certainly worth a try calling your MA. When I picked up my first MINI, I was about to get in and drive away when my husband noticed two very small round dents on the passenger door underneath the door handle. We showed our MA and they fixed it for free. But if I had driven the car off and noticed the dents even a few hours later, I'm not sure my MA would've paid for the repair. But, as I said, it's certainly worth a try.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
I believe fjork_duf has an R56. The good news is that in the R56, the individual trim pieces are available without having to get an entire door panel: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...77&hg=51&fg=50. The bad news is that a lot of people are having trouble obtaining R56 parts.
That's good news! Availability should improve.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Am I reading it right that the part is only 5 bucks???

Edit: I think it is only the circlip that is 5 bucks.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Here is miniusa's answer:

Hi,

Thanks for contacting MINI regarding the warranty coverage on your 2007 BMW MINI Cooper S. We appreciate your inquiry.

Your MINI has a New Vehicle Limited Warranty which warrants against defects in material and workmanship for the car for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Please note that the warranty does not cover damage due to external influence. I would recommend speaking directly with your motoring advisor at your MINI dealership if you believe that the damage was caused prior to delivery. Your MINI dealership is in the best position to review and discuss your concerns regarding the possibility of previously existing damage.
If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I will be happy to lend a hand.

LET’S MOTOR.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative
866.ASK.MINI (275-6464)
Basically I need to argue with my dealer.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM
STEWIE
3rd Gear
Lets see, you picked it up on Sunday and it now only Wednesday. The dealership should fix it no charge. I had a very small paint chip on my rear bumber I noticed 2 days after I picked it up. I called, took it in, they fixed it no charge and no problem. I hope your dealership is a nice as mine.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:19 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Yeah I sent my MA an email yesterday. I haven't had a reply. I possibly may call over there today and see what's up.

Here is the part # for reference: 51412753701

Old 03-28-2007, 12:42 PM
jyarrow
4th Gear
Stewie - sounds like an honorable dealership. Which one is it? I'm waiting on a car I ordered from Mini of Sterling, so I'm hoping that is also your dealer.

Also - the stripes on your car look awesome.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:44 PM
STEWIE
3rd Gear
Yep Mini of Sterling. I walked out of there feeling really good about my car and the entire experience. When I went back to pick up my plates, they not only put them on, they hand washed my car as well. I loved that!!!

Thanks for the compliment on my stripe. I dont see too many of them. As a matter of fact, havent seen another in person yet. I do know there are a few around though

Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 PM
jyarrow
4th Gear
Great news about MoS. I've felt good about them - of course all I've done is called a few times and then went in one afternoon to test drive and place an order.

I hope that fjork_duf has a dealer that does that good for him.