R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What's "up" with the windows?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:06 AM
PepperWhiteR56
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's "up" with the windows?

I realized that the windows of the R56 go down a little while opening the door and then go up when the door is closed.

But when I get in my car, often the passenger side window in my car seems to be a little lower than I left it. And it is low enough for rain to get in or cause annoying wind noise while driving - so I have to remember to put it up myself before I drive off.

It's become a part of my regimen before drive off including activating sports button and front and rear fog lights. And also hitting the "track" button on the CD player to display track names.

Has anyone else also experienced this issue with the windows or am I doing something wrong?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:25 AM
leapfrog
2nd Gear
"Up"Windows

When we bought our new 2005 MCS,we learned that BMW cars have this pop-up feature.When the door was opened(with the window all the way up),the window drops down about 1/4 of an inch.When you close the door,it shuts,then the window is supposed to pop up,and seal.These cars are so air tight,this feature allows the compressed air out.This keeps the windows from bulging out when the door closes.At least,that's what the salesman told us,and it does make sense.It doesn't do the pop-up feature,however,if you put the window down just a hair or more.I just found out last week that when the hatchback was not fully closed,the pop-up feature doesn't work.Check with the dealer to be sure!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:44 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If the window is lowere than "full up" than it should do the drop/pop maneuver when opening/closing. If you are seeing the window pop up after you close the door and the window doesn't raise up completely so that air/water can get through, I would suspect the window is out of adjustment.

I have no clue if there is any adjustment to the window unit or if it would actually be a malfunction of the mechanism involved in the drop/pop maneuver. In any case, I'd get it checked out.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:05 AM
dchautin
3rd Gear
I am having the same problem. yesterday, my driver's side window didn't go up and we had a little rain. luckily, I was aware of this issue and ran out there to make sure it had gone up...it hadn't..so I had to jump in and raise the windows....it's a bit of an aggrivation. I need to bring it in, but it is sounding like a common issue.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
On my R53 (which I traded in for an R56) I found that when I closed the windows, I had to hold the switch in the up position a few seconds after the window had closed, otherwise, the windows wouldn't work right. The first day I picked up the car, I had problems, but as soon as I started holding the switch longer (which my MA showed me), I never had another problem. So, maybe you can try that?

Old 04-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure that when you unlock the car with the remote, that you are not holding the unlock button long enough to just start the "open all the windows" mode. I've noticed that on my R-56, this feature kicks in much sooner than on the R-50 or R-53. With the first gen cars it seems that there was a distinct 5 or 6 seconds before the windows went down and roof opened. It seems much quicker on the R-56. You may be cracking the windows wth the remote with out knowing it.

Enjoy your new MINI.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Uncle_John
Make sure that when you unlock the car with the remote, that you are not holding the unlock button long enough to just start the "open all the windows" mode. I've noticed that on my R-56, this feature kicks in much sooner than on the R-50 or R-53. With the first gen cars it seems that there was a distinct 5 or 6 seconds before the windows went down and roof opened. It seems much quicker on the R-56. You may be cracking the windows wth the remote with out knowing it.
Excellent advice.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:13 AM
dchautin
3rd Gear
Thanks..I will try that!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 AM
eVal
6th Gear
In the R53 manual it goes over 'initializing' the power windows to reset them (you have to hold the switches) - have your checked the R56 manual, perhaps it addresses your issue?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
PepperWhiteR56
2nd Gear
After reading the responses here, I've been watching out for any triggers that make the window roll down lower than usual and I haven't been able to find anything. And it's very sporadic so I can't pin point what is causing it. I guess I'll keep watching it for a few more days and then take it to the dealer when I have some time. It's not worth a 70 mile one-way trip.

dchautin, if you take it in, can you post your findings? I'll do the same when I take it in.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:02 AM
07chilired
5th Gear
I was told that it was just the window "seating" itself....I'm having the windows tinted on my R56 today and I know you're not supposed to roll the windows down for 3 days after, it just makes me nervous for the tint when the windows do this everytime you open the car, lol....

Old 04-04-2007, 07:30 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07chilired
I was told that it was just the window "seating" itself....I'm having the windows tinted on my R56 today and I know you're not supposed to roll the windows down for 3 days after, it just makes me nervous for the tint when the windows do this everytime you open the car, lol....
No worries. Countless MINI owners have had their glass tinted and this feature has never caused an issue with fresh tint that I am aware of.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Sissy
4th Gear
Moritz in Arlington did an outstanding job tinting Flo's windows. I worried about the window's opening/closing too, but I've quit worrying as it hasn't caused any degradation on the tint.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 AM
vader
4th Gear
I've had the 'window not going up' issue since day one. I've had it in once with no cure yet. I've been logging when it has issues and it seems to occur most often when the car has been locked and sitting for more that about 20 min. I do not have the autolock set while driving so when I drive, and get in and out like getting gas, no problems but if I park for a while like at work, the next time I enter the car, no up movement. The dealer is contacting MINI about this and we both agreed that since it is just annoying and nothing else, I'll wait until they think there is a cure rather than throwing parts at it without knowing if the new part will fix it or not.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:31 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same problem with my old 2002 BMW M Coupe. The windows did the same thing. Pop up when the door is closed. One didn't go up far enough. It actually needed to be adjusted. It should be a known problem/adjustment.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepperWhiteR56
I realized that the windows of the R56 go down a little while opening the door and then go up when the door is closed.

But when I get in my car, often the passenger side window in my car seems to be a little lower than I left it. And it is low enough for rain to get in or cause annoying wind noise while driving - so I have to remember to put it up myself before I drive off.

It's become a part of my regimen before drive off including activating sports button and front and rear fog lights. And also hitting the "track" button on the CD player to display track names.

Has anyone else also experienced this issue with the windows or am I doing something wrong?
There has been a similiar issue since the early days. Window gets stuck in the "open door/down a little" position. Sometimes clicking the window up button works, sometimes not. See this thread post #9.

....Les

Old 04-22-2007, 06:30 PM
kookmyers
4th Gear
Mine too

I have had the car for 2 days and my drivers side window will not go up and seal when i close it.
Please Note: I posted this in the "problems" section.

Last edited by kookmyers; 04-22-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: more specific