R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI's Competition R56 vs. C30

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Winding Road actually already compared the 3 mentioned in the lead post -
http://www.windingroad.com/issue-18/...oper-s-vw-gti/

Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 AM
HPUdrew
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm impressed with that write-up, as they seemed to understand what each of these cars is for without blaming them for not being able to do something it isn't designed for. Usually in those tests they expect all the cars to have the same size back seats, luggage space, horsepower, etc... but thank God this group wasn't writing in that manner. I've gotten tired of seeing the MINI compared in these tests and hearing that its back seat and luggage space just doesn't add up, and written in a manner that makes you feel you shouldn't buy the car anymore based on those reasons.

Although they didn't do a wrap-up explaining winners at the end, it sounded as if they were saying:
Buy the MINI if you don't need the extra space and want something truly fun to drive.
Buy the GTI if you want a wonderful drivetrain, enjoyable driving, and room for the family.
Buy the C30 if tight twisties aren't your biggest concern, but having fun with 4 comfy occupants is.

Drew

Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 AM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming from a Volvo background, I think the C30 sounds like a great car. It got favorable reviews from 5th Gear (the video is on YouTube) and Winding Road. The car is a big departure for Volvo and I would love to have one as a second car in addition to the MINI. It should be pretty fast off the line and they are going to have some personalization options available. Another great aspect of the C30 is that Volvo ensured that it will have moderate success in the U.S. by pricing it starting at $22,700.

Price-wise it will definitely compete with the Cooper S. However, I don't see it taking away too many customers from MINI. Volvo's sales goals for the C30 in the U.S. are very modest (I think well under 20k a year), and there is a very small Volvo enthusiast community which currently consists of mostly older individuals. Unless they are successful at building enthusiasm for the brand among a large group of young buyers, the C30 will likely just be a niche car in the U.S.(see Audi A3), with most of its sales in Europe.

Last edited by clarkdr81; 04-17-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 PM
improvius
1st Gear
I'm interested in both cars. One big advantage for the MC is that it should have a MUCH higher resale value. And while the C30 has massive torque, it seems to have a heck of a time putting that power to the ground. I haven't even seen any modded T5 S40s getting better than 14" quarter-mile times. The aftermarket support for Volvos doesn't seem very strong, either. Of course, I may be a little spoiled with the wealth of 3rd-party performance options for my current car - a 1.8T GTI. I may just wait another year or two and see how things pan out for both the R56 and the C30. But I have a feeling the MCS will come out on top in terms of performance, even after mods are taken into consideration.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 AM
impatient
Neutral
Nice insight guys, I feel the same way about what improvius has said. Im sort of torn between the two but am REALLY hooked on the Mini its just so unique. The C30 does look really nice in person also and has its own little style going on. But i guess I will just have to test drive the both to see which is better, and I think I already know the answer I have quite some time to make a descion anyway so in the end I won't regret it.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
dneal
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I honestly can't imagine a MINI driver ever switching to a Volvo (or vice versa).
I went from a Volvo to a Mini.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
I honestly can't imagine a MINI driver ever switching to a Volvo (or vice versa). Two different kinds of animals.
I went from a Volvo (a 240, the slowest tank of all Volvos) to a MINI. And I hope to go back to a Volvo someday (a black V70R would make a pretty bad @$$ family car ). Keep in mind that I would also be keeping a MINI in the garage though...

Old 04-18-2007, 12:53 PM
manifest
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81
I went from a Volvo (a 240, the slowest tank of all Volvos) to a MINI. And I hope to go back to a Volvo someday (a black V70R would make a pretty bad @$$ family car ). Keep in mind that I would also be keeping a MINI in the garage though...

Volvo is discontinuing the R trim as it's not a great seller for them.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/09/v...ter-this-year/

Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 PM
clarkdr81
6th Gear
Originally Posted by manifest
Volvo is discontinuing the R trim as it's not a great seller for them.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/09/v...ter-this-year/
Yea I saw that, very disappointing. Volvo is confusing me because they keep saying they want to appeal to younger buyers and produce cars that are more fun to drive so they come out with the C30, which is a positive step in the right direction. But then, they bring out the new S80/V70, which both look even more geriatric/soccer mom than ever. I think they are having an identity crisis.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:52 PM
nrc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by clarkdr81
Yea I saw that, very disappointing. Volvo is confusing me because they keep saying they want to appeal to younger buyers and produce cars that are more fun to drive so they come out with the C30, which is a positive step in the right direction. But then, they bring out the new S80/V70, which both look even more geriatric/soccer mom than ever. I think they are having an identity crisis.
Add to that the fact that when my wife was test driving cars last fall there wasn't a single S40 T5 with a standard transmission on a dealer lot within driving distance.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:32 PM
web1
Neutral
People are quick to dismiss the C30, but I'm sure many Clubman buyers will crosshop the C30.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
crazy Pete
1st Gear
I was able to borrow a brand new C30 T5 from someone in the office. It does look good in person. It is indeed much roomier than the MCS, more back seat legroom and a bigger boot. The manual transmission actually impressed me (I had low expectations...), very short throws and precise. The steering is also quicker than expected but does not have any feel to it. The driving experience is very much Volvo: confortable, safe, quiet. If that is your thing than good but I personnally found it boring. It is barely more fun than an S60 because it is smaller. It has nothing to do with the P1800 that it is supposed to evoke. The minis need not worry... In fact, although I have never driven a basic MC, I am pretty sure I would like it more thant the souped up C30!
Originally Posted by crazy Pete
My wife had a volvo so I got to drive the S40/v50 courtesy car several times. the C30 uses the same platform (Same as the MAzda 3 by the way) and basically has the same interior. The exterior is the most interesting Volvo I have seen in a long time...but it is a volvo! I drives like a Volvo which means it cannot even come close to the mini as far as driving experience . The only thing in favor of the C30 is the fact it is roomier.

I saw one in the flesh last saturday and although IMHO it is a nice car, it does not have a strong personality like the MINI.