R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 AM
EDN
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats Lindy57! And Welcome!

What are the differences between the model years?

How good are you at waiting? Me - I would go for the 2008 based on the wait time.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear

kind of new here, got my mini in may but am just now posting! i love my car...

Old 08-13-2008, 12:58 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
I'd wait for the 2009 for sure. much better to have an 09 before everyone else.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
sbaker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by annasassy86

VERY nice!

I live in Texas, too, and am wondering how you get away with no front license plate. Do the cops in Houston just ignore it? If so, you are very lucky. I live a rural area and the cops out here LOVE to pull people over for no front license plate.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sbaker
VERY nice!

I live in Texas, too, and am wondering how you get away with no front license plate. Do the cops in Houston just ignore it? If so, you are very lucky. I live a rural area and the cops out here LOVE to pull people over for no front license plate.
oh really? my boyfriend has euro plates on both plates on his car and he's been pulled over for speeding and the cops say "are those real plates?" and he says they are european plates with my texas license plate number and they say oh ok cool. hahah. like this has happened more than once. i live in Waco for school so i rarely go to Houston so i'm not sure what the cops do in Houston. i would think that having a plate in your front whether it is euro or not isn't as obvious as not having a plate at all.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Oxygen blue looks like a popular color in Texas. Sweet looking ride with the Aero kit. Do the grill slats come standard in body color with the aero kit?

Old 08-13-2008, 02:03 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
Oxygen blue looks like a popular color in Texas. Sweet looking ride with the Aero kit. Do the grill slats come standard in body color with the aero kit?
thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:35 PM
sbaker
3rd Gear
oh really? my boyfriend has euro plates on both plates on his car and he's been pulled over for speeding and the cops say "are those real plates?" and he says they are european plates with my texas license plate number and they say oh ok cool. hahah. like this has happened more than once. i live in Waco for school so i rarely go to Houston so i'm not sure what the cops do in Houston. i would think that having a plate in your front whether it is euro or not isn't as obvious as not having a plate at all.

Eeeek! Were you the Oxy Blue with the Black roof that I saw on Valley Mills Drive last week????? I live way out in the boonies NW of Waco.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
Eeeek! Were you the Oxy Blue with the Black roof that I saw on Valley Mills Drive last week????? I live way out in the boonies NW of Waco.
PROBABLY!! there are other oxy blues at baylor but they have white tops. you can recognize me because i have the body kit (it adds a lot more color and i had one lady ask me what year it was because hers was so much different, she thought it was another model) and POSH as my front license plate hope to see you again soon!!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
sbaker
3rd Gear
PROBABLY!! there are other oxy blues at baylor but they have white tops. you can recognize me because i have the body kit (it adds a lot more color and i had one lady ask me what year it was because hers was so much different, she thought it was another model) and POSH as my front license plate hope to see you again soon!!

I didn't get a good look at the front of your car since there was someone in front of you at the light. The body kit does look REALLY nice. I will definitely recognize you if I see you again.
I have seen one other Oxy Blue/White in Waco, but she had silver wheels. Mine are white.

Speaking of white wheels....the kids and I are going out to wash Blue Belle's.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!

Old 08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Lindy57
Hi everyone. I'm new here today. I ordered a 2009 but the agent just called and asked if I wanted a 2008 in which case I could have it delivered in 3-4 weeks vs 10 weeks. What do you all think?

WOW--this thread has been a little sorry the last few days and now look--two more of us--COOL! Welcome to you both!

Lindy, I don't know from nothin' but if there's not much difference between the two model years (nothing you can't live without anyway), personally, I'd go for the '08. Are you planning to hang onto the car; if so, why not drive sooner than later? If you have to consider resale, maybe that would be an arguement for the '09 model year, but from what I've read on here, the MINIs are holding their value extremely well.

annasassy--great lookin' O2Blu MINI there! You-i-fied like it is, there should be no mistakin' you! Congratulations!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:24 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Lindy57
Hi everyone. I'm new here today. Seems like a great place! I ordered my first mini yesterday. Oxy Blue w/ black. I ordered a 2009 but the agent just called and asked if I wanted a 2008 in which case I could have it delivered in 3-4 weeks vs 10 weeks. What do you all think? I hadn't even considered the 2008 model so I have no basis for comparison.
I'd second that I would probably go for the 08. But the best way to know for sure is to ask your MA if the price would be lower on the 08.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Analogeezer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fuso
I've had mine for about a month now. 3K miles on it.

My husband wanted black roof, but I ordered the white roof/mirror caps. Its my car after all. I got the white, because light colors show less dirt. I love, love, love the OB/white. Its unique in the parking lot. I've got a couple of photos in the gallery if your interested in see my white roof.
Good for you! My wife has been adamant all along about the white roof thing, no matter what the color we were looking at she has pretty much insisted on the white roof.

With an OB MINI and a female owner, it makes the most sense as it adds to the "cute factor" and looks classic.

I think the black roof ones look great too, if it were my car I'd probably go for that but since it was my wife's car that is what we ordered.

Analogeezer

Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Analogeezer
2nd Gear
OK add us to the OB Club....

It's actually for my wife, but I went to the dealer and ordered it today, details are in this other thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...24#post2422924

My wife originally wanted Laser Blue but I pointed out it was only available on the "S", and she really didn't want or need a turbo...I had actually looked at ALL the colors and realized OB was just a way cool color, VERY DIFFERENT (is there ANY other car that has a paint job remotely similar) and OB really adds to the retro and cheeky look of the MINI.

I can see how a lot of people might not like it (it's too flashy for some and not "macho" enough for others) but it really stands out.

The rarity of the color too is nice, lots of OB owners in this thread but to date since the 2007's came out, other than a couple at the dealer I have seen FOUR OB Minis total, one on Skyline Drive, one in Denver, one parked at the airport and one locally.

Not to diss the Chili Red, Pepper White and various Silvers crowd, but I easily see 4 - 10 of those cars a day....OB is rare and I like that.

Anyway our car is scheduled for week 32 production I believe, the MA said it should arrive by mid-October.....hopefully so as I have a major anniversary coming up in early November and her MINI would make a nice addition to the usual jewelry thing....

Analogeezer

Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I'd second that I would probably go for the 08. But the best way to know for sure is to ask your MA if the price would be lower on the 08.
Being in a similar boat myself (thinking about an '08 or '09 in Oxygen Blue), the '09s start ~$500 higher than the '08's.

That being said, the configurator indicates that Dynamic Stability Control is standard for '09, even on the base Cooper.

So, if that was something you were planning to get on the '08, then the '09 may be priced the same. Something to look into, for sure.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Bluemotorfan
Neutral
You can count my wife and I in. Our OB came in today, but because of work we wont be able to get it until Monday. No name yet. She's thinking of Boomer (yes, she's a BSG fan). We still have to get to know her first. This weekend is going to suck.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:28 AM
Tennessee Cutty
2nd Gear
In 1955 Chevrolet had a color very similar to Oxygen blue. Not sure what they called it though.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:07 AM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Analogeezer
Good for you! My wife has been adamant all along about the white roof thing, no matter what the color we were looking at she has pretty much insisted on the white roof.

With an OB MINI and a female owner, it makes the most sense as it adds to the "cute factor" and looks classic.

I think the black roof ones look great too, if it were my car I'd probably go for that but since it was my wife's car that is what we ordered.

Analogeezer
haha my boyfriend convinced me to get the black roof with my OB MINI. and i have to say, i am very happy with my choice! he is sure to remind me that it was his idea every time i say something about it.

i like the white too though, it's fresh. but i am the only black top OB in my city (and i love that) plus it looks amazing with my tint job. so synchronous! fits my personality.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:16 AM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
pretty sure they are with the aero kit, because everyone elses are chrome. the aero kit surprised me in several ways. i had just seen in online in the configurator and decided i wanted it because it just looked remarkably better and i had some extra cash since i went with the cooper instead of the s... i think i'm more into aesthetics than power haha. it comes standard with the rear spoiler... i had no idea how much color was going to be added to the front and back but i love it. i am thinking about painting the fenders though. and i can't figure out if making my mirrors chrome made the little swoosh on the side by the hood chrome or if it was the body kit... but either way i love it!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:06 AM
c2burgess
Neutral
Looks like the mid- 50's chevrolet color close to oxygen blue is Regal Turquoise. There's a '56 color that looks even closer...

http://www.classicbowtie.com/1955-19...nt%20Codes.htm

Lots of cars from that era offered a beautiful color similar to oxygen blue. That's among the things that attracted me to it. Seems like the cover photo car on every other month's edition of Hemmings Classic Cars magazine is an old fashioned blue like oxygen.

Last edited by c2burgess; 08-15-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: fumble fingers
Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 PM
DanF
5th Gear
My friend has a 56 chevy, blue and white. I think it is the #707 combination. It is one sweet looking car. One of these days I'm going take a pic of it next to my MINI. Although mine is the black roof.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
sbaker
3rd Gear
I saw the rear end of Posh today in the Subway/Hastings parking lot. I feel like such a stalker!!! If I didn't have my husband and both kids in the car I would have stopped to say hi. Hope you had a good Saturday!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:47 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
I saw the rear end of Posh today in the Subway/Hastings parking lot. I feel like such a stalker!!! If I didn't have my husband and both kids in the car I would have stopped to say hi. Hope you had a good Saturday!
aw!!! yeah i was searching for a cute planner for school lol. that's so funny, when i was driving on valley mills i was thinking "i wonder if i'll see the other mini cooper today..." hahaha. looks like we are both stalkers! hope you had a good saturday too!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like we are both stalkers!
It doesn't count unless night-vision equipment is employed ...at least that's what they told me up at the dealership when I was "waiting" for my MINI.

Quick Reply: R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club