R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:44 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a couple of comments about OB and Molly this Weekend. Once couple on a Motorcycle at a Rest Stop on Hwy 22 in OR, one from a nice gentleman in Sisters were we had breakfast after a weekend at Black Butte Ranch for a Co. Golf Tournament.

Also saw a totoal of 5 (other) MINIs...Got 3 of 2 Waves, and I flashed my lights at two more. We were traveling in opposite directions, no response, but I was clipping along at a pretty good clip.

OH yeah...anyone ever do 90 while passing??

Old 08-17-2008, 08:47 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
OH yeah...anyone ever do 90 while passing??
It didn't feel like 90, did it!! I've never gone that fast, but then again most of the speed limits I encounter are only 40 mph.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Not at all Gokart...ride was very smooth and handled extremely well, this was in a 55mph zone. Hubby was passenger and said he didn't even notice until he looked at the speedo. Just a mile or so down the road we happened upon the Red & Blue Lights who had tagged *another* car!!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
he didn't even notice until he looked at the speedo.
MINIs are pretty darn amazing!!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Old 08-18-2008, 04:44 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I have a confession to make and I figure this is the place to do it.

I had a really great day.....why, you ask? Well, besides being off work, I was tinkering on my slot car track (with a dozen full-race MINIs) here in my second story room which overlooks the parking lot. Down below, I had parked my MINI in a special spot outside my window and adjusted the blinds "just so." Yup...I had relaxing play time whilst overlooking my amazing OB/W Cooper...all day!!!!!! Seriously...does it get any better than this???

Old 08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No offense, but I drove an Oxy Blue loaner today; IMO it's a God-awful color.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:29 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by melman8r
Depends on your perspective...OB has a cool retro look that many folks love.

Unique color, too...only for Cooper coupes.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I don't normally get nasty on the boards, but what might your age be...8??

Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
8??
8 and color-blind.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gokartride
8 and color-blind.
He has a PW/B so color-blind is right!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:36 AM
melman8r
2nd Gear
Age has nothing to do with it, it's merely an opinion. Sorry if I rained on your parade.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Analogeezer
2nd Gear
Age has nothing to do with it, it's merely an opinion. Sorry if I rained on your parade.
Agreed, I can see how OB might not be everyone's cup of tea, but to me most of the MINI color choices are downright boring....Silver, Red, Black, White (well it's more like cream but it's still white, you know white like your Grandma's Camry ), dark blue, etc. there have been some offbeat colors but not many of them. OB is off the beaten path, that is for sure....

Mazda on the other hand periodically uncorks some very interesting color choices with the Miata/MX-5, sure they keep the boring ones for most people but still every other year or so they offer some really neat colors.

One year (2002) they offered TWO different Yellows, one you had to order on the internet, the other was a stock color. I don't really like yellow cars unless it's a Pantera, Ferrari, 911, Corvette, Lambo, etc. but you have to give them credit for offering TWO shades in one year.

I think the fact OB is sort of an "out there" color is great, if everybody liked it and it sold well, it would take some of the interest out of owning one for me....I see probably 20 MINIs a day, most of them Silver/Red/Blue/PW, but since OB came out I have only seen four outside of a dealer, and one of those was out of town in Denver.

Some owners are into "safe choices", thinking about resale and all that, but I think the OB crowd is not into "Safe choices" like white and silver, and if it makes our cars (well I don't have ours yet but it is on order) harder to sell later one, then so be it....

Analogeezer

Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
True...OB isn't for everybody. It's not for MCS owners, or Cooper cabrio owners, or Cooper Clubman owners, or MCS cabio owners.....

"He who rains on parade should not be surprised when umbrella is employed!!"

Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 AM
CarolinaCooper
4th Gear
As my grandma always told me (Southern lady that she was), "If you can't say anything nice about someone, wait until they leave the room."

Old 08-19-2008, 02:54 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
I didn't want to say anything because I'm pretty sure that if my loaner Mini was pepper white I wouldn't write in their Club and say that it was God-awful or any other derogatory word... but pepper white reminds me of a 60 year old's pale a$$... IMO.

Last edited by annasassy86; 08-19-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: uhh pepper
Old 08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
sbaker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
Originally Posted by annasassy86
but pepper white reminds me of a 60 year old's pale a$$... IMO.
Hey now y'all...Let's not go bashing on Pepper White. You can't get an Oxy Blue Clubman, so I might be forced into driving PW someday.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sbaker
Hey now y'all...Let's not go bashing on Pepper White. You can't get an Oxy Blue Clubman, so I might be forced into driving PW someday.
sorry, diarrhea of the mouth

Old 08-19-2008, 03:22 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
On the other hand....

If one gravitated towards the more subdued colors and felt more "at home" in them (the whites, the silvers, the blacks)...imagine the discomfort of being handed they keys to an Oxygen Blue!!! It must have been traumatizing having so many people noticing that MINI when one is not accustomed to such a thing!! No wonder he/she found it "god-awful". Why, even that level of happy cheeriness would come as a shock to the system!!!

As has been said...this color is not for the timid!!! I am sorry that our fellow MINI enthusiast was plopped so far afield from his/her personal you-ification profile. Those passing out loaner cars would do well to assess the situation a little more critically and take car who they pass the keys to.

Oxygen Blue...can you handle it????

Old 08-19-2008, 05:16 PM
DanF
5th Gear
I'm not offended but I think it's an odd thing to say. After all you are in an owners forum that loves the color. What could be gained by even telling us this?

Maybe you could go on a club ride sometime and tell one of the drivers how much you hate his car color.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
I'm not offended but I think it's an odd thing to say. After all you are in an owners forum that loves the color. What could be gained by even telling us this?

Maybe you could go on a club ride sometime and tell one of the drivers how much you hate his car color.
What's so odd? The color? I think so, I've never seen that color before I got my loaner. I merely made an observation, you guys/gals get all bent out of shape. I hate to see what you would do if I passed you on the road and you waved and I didn't wave back? It's a car for God's sake. One of the worst investments a person can make in one's lifetime.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 PM
DanF
5th Gear
What's so odd? The color? I think so, I've never seen that color before I got my loaner. I merely made an observation, you guys/gals get all bent out of shape. I hate to see what you would do if I passed you on the road and you waved and I didn't wave back? It's a car for God's sake. One of the worst investments a person can make in one's lifetime.
Who's bent out of shape? Not me. I'd do something really terrible if you didn't wave back, I would just continue driving.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I merely made an observation, you guys/gals get all bent out of shape.
Well, of course....I mean everybody in this thread loves OB and obviously would disagree w/ your assessment. What did you expect? Besides..."no offense" and "god-awful color" sends a really mixed message. You could say you like PW better.....but "god-awful???" C'mon.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 AM
rikmeister
3rd Gear
if no one bought oxy blue they would not even offer it. Just goes to show you that every is different. what you like others dislike. they offer quite a few colours cause of all the diversity it offers. you should bask in the diveristy and not belittle it. somewhere there are oxyblues weeping wiper fluid cause of the comment.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
OK, on to something really important (has this thread really sat idle since yesterday? For shame!)

Would any of my fellow O2Bluers be willing to email me the pdf version of the 08 owners manual? I know I can get it in the owners lounge on MINIUSA, but I'm opting not to do that.

My MINI should be in soon(!) (it's been a long wait, but I won't get in to that...). I'd love to have the pdf version of the manual so I can use the search function for different features. If any of you would be so kind, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, in advance.

Quick Reply: R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club