R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta love the MINI community! Now I've got my very own pdf of the '08 manual.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tedswoods
Now I've got my very own pdf of the '08 manual.
A good way to pass the time while waiting. Hopefully they'll have the three-click turn signal enabled....I love that thing!!! Mine was set to one-click initially so I had to dive into the manual first thing. Also, check out all the cool OBC features in the speedo....very useful!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:33 AM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Analogeezer
Not to diss the Chili Red, Pepper White and various Silvers crowd, but I easily see 4 - 10 of those cars a day....OB is rare and I like that.
I agree. Not only do I love the color, but that rareness is what I love most about driving my car. I get so many looks, head turns and smiles from people and I really think it has a lot to do with the color.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:23 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Well, I don't get to many looks (although there may be other viable reasons for this ) but as for the rarity of the color, I agree. I know the dealership is delivering owner-spec OBs now and again but I don't ever see another OB on the road. I'm not one to crave uniqueness (I have plenty of that anyway), but I've always loved OB (from the time it was first announced) and so, come what may, it is definitely the color for me.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:31 AM
DanF
5th Gear
I am constantly getting thumbs up while driving or at intersections, stop signs, or parking lots. Usually it is people on foot and kids always want me to honk my horn for some reason. I have no idea if it is the car or the color. It makes me laugh though. Whenever I have passengers they are amazed at the attention this car gets.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:36 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
they are amazed at the attention this car gets.
Really???? Gee, I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I need to motor around people more.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 AM
sbaker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Well, I don't get to many looks (although there may be other viable reasons for this ) but as for the rarity of the color, I agree. I know the dealership is delivering owner-spec OBs now and again but I don't ever see another OB on the road. I'm not one to crave uniqueness (I have plenty of that anyway), but I've always loved OB (from the time it was first announced) and so, come what may, it is definitely the color for me.
I had a REALLY odd experience yesterday. I pulled up to a stop light right next to an OB/white. The other driver and I both rolled down our windows and complemented each other on our cars. We were all (my kids included) smiling like crazy!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:19 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sbaker
I pulled up to a stop light right next to an OB/white.
, indeed!!! I'd have had heart failure...but I'd still be smiling!!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Fuso
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sbaker
I had a REALLY odd experience yesterday. I pulled up to a stop light right next to an OB/white. The other driver and I both rolled down our windows and complemented each other on our cars. We were all (my kids included) smiling like crazy!
I had that experience last week driving on Baltimore Washington Parkway. I passed another OB, but with a black roof and stripes. It was weird.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:14 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
What the heck? This thread has been sitting idle for 5 days now?? I hope to be posting pics of my new MINI tomorrow...stay tuned!

Anybody know any lullabies?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Anybody know any lullabies?
I have no advise to give. Night before delivery I slept very little, nevermind a kindly MA snuck me in after hours to see my car....the very first OB I ever laid eyes on. Yeah, I was pretty excited.

Can't wait to see your pics!! I'm sure the others will agree...delivery day is something very special!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:22 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So call me what you will, but...

I was not impressed. Here's the story...
Went to my favorite place for Dinner, a Brew Pub called McMenamins on the Columbia, my favorite because it sits right on the water, absolutely a beautiful evening. 1. I was not impressed with the food, but that's not what this post is about. 2. I was unimpressed by what we parked next to...an OB/B?? Yeah, my Husband had to point it out. I just saw another MINI, so I parked next to it. It was unkept and had Texas plates in Washington??!! For those who live in a neighboring state and visit said state quite frequently, we live in one state and work in another. We live in WA and work in OR. So for those who choose to move to WA from OR typically avoid the whole TAX issue, by NOT registering their vehicles, because WA has a 8.5% Tax Rate on Vehicles. Which must be paid upon registering your vehicle. OK, so I've vented on this subject long enough.

I was just not impressed by seeing Molly's Cousin...why?? I really don't know, other than it wasn't kept and it was from Out of State.

So go ahead let the Mud Slinging begin...

Old 08-30-2008, 02:27 AM
DanF
5th Gear
Perhaps the Texas car was on vacation. I know when I am on vacation I will attempt to keep the windshield and the nose free of bugs but usually time doesn't allow for a total wash.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Went to my favorite place for Dinner, a Brew Pub called McMenamins on the Columbia,...I was unimpressed by what we parked next to...an OB/B??

It was unkept and had Texas plates in Washington??!!
I was just not impressed by seeing Molly's Cousin...why?? I really don't know, other than it wasn't kept and it was from Out of State.

So go ahead let the Mud Slinging begin...
Well, let me start by saying I used to frequent the McMinnimans in Corvallis when I was going to school there. Brings back fond memories.

As for the O2B cousin, maybe (as already stated), full wash and detail wasn't practical. I think life w/ MINI will be different for me, but living in a rural area where mud and rain is plentiful, I gotta say, I've never been much of a car wash freak. I've read about how these MINIs make OCD washers out of people (and I've placed my first order with Detailers Paradise--help me ) So maybe the Texans were going to wash their MINI the next day...

In all honesty, I think my O2B/W MINI might look a little plain from the outside. At one of the last minutes, I decided no stripes for now. I'm toying with the idea of having Yin / Yang painted (yes--paint not vinyl) on the roof. I'm not quite there yet, but in anticipation of the possibility, no stripes for now.

If I ever visit OR (still have several friends there), I'll get 'tedscar' all spiffed up...

Old 08-30-2008, 06:09 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
MINIs make OCD washers out of people
.............guilty................

Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Fuso
1st Gear
In all honesty, I think my O2B/W MINI might look a little plain from the outside. At one of the last minutes, I decided no stripes for now. I'm toying with the idea of having Yin / Yang painted (yes--paint not vinyl) on the roof. I'm not quite there yet, but in anticipation of the possibility, no stripes for now.

If I ever visit OR (still have several friends there), I'll get 'tedscar' all spiffed up...
I'm kinda funny about the stripes. I'm in the camp that says "really I can have stripes...of course I want the stripes." I can't imagine why everyone doesn't have the stripes.

But then again, the roof graphics are cool too. I have a plain white roof. I want a roof graphic too. My SIL 's artwork would look really cool on my roof. But I'm afraid to ask her because she is a fine artist and commends thousands of dollars for her originals.

But I have stripes!

Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, let me start by saying I used to frequent the McMinnimans in Corvallis when I was going to school there. Brings back fond memories.

I gotta say, I've never been much of a car wash freak. I've read about how these MINIs make OCD washers out of people (and I've placed my first order with Detailers Paradise--help me ) So maybe the Texans were going to wash their MINI the next day...

I'm toying with the idea of having Yin / Yang painted (yes--paint not vinyl) on the roof. I'm not quite there yet, but in anticipation of the possibility, no stripes for now.
Well, I'm still not sure what the "real" problem was?? Maybe it was because it seemed uncared for. You know...more like a machine,
NOT a MINI??

But Testwoods I'm glad you've come over to the OCD'er side. Let me know what your DP purchase was and I am more than happy to help with questions.

In regards to the "Ying/Yang" symbol...I see no problems with that, in fact I think it will look GREAT!!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:41 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Well O2B fans, at long last, here's 'tedscar' (Ted being the aging terrier featured in the second pic). Ordered June 12th. Went through all the appropriate jitters waiting for it. F-I-N-A-L-L-Y, today was the day! The drive home (about two hours on back roads) was mi-tee fun . Everything you all say about the MINI is true! It stuck to the road and the curves like stink! Oh my goodness. What a blast! Well worth the wait if today was any indication!

Attached Thumbnails Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club-p8300078.jpg   Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club-p8300083.jpg  

Last edited by tedswoods; 11-01-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Well O2B fans, at long last, here's 'tedscar' (Ted being the aging terrier featured in the second pic). Ordered June 12th. Went through all the appropriate jitters waiting for it. F-I-N-A-L-L-Y, today was the day! The drive home (about two hours on back roads) was mi-tee fun . Everything you all say about the MINI is true! It stuck to the road and the curves like stink! Oh my goodness. What a blast! Well worth the wait if today was any indication!
Wow that interior combination looks fantastic. It would of never accured to me to get mellow yellow with the oxygen blue but it looks great in the shots. Are the doors also the light grey color (forget what they called it). Well good luck with the new car and I hope you and Ted enjoy it.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
at long last, here's 'tedscar'
Our cars look very similar from the outside, but not on the inside. I went w/ English Oak, but I must say your choices are unique and look very nice....well done!!!

I must say, after over a year, I'm as thrilled with my MINI as the day I first brought it home...maybe even moreso. I'm sure you will have a total blast motoring in your new baby, too!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:00 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Thanks guys! I'm pleased as punch (now there's another one phrase that I don't know what the heck it means, unless it's talking about punch-drunk, which I kinda feel like tonight...) to be part of the O2 clan!

Originally Posted by DanF
Are the doors also the light grey color (forget what they called it).
Yes, the door and interior are 'Gotham Grey'. I know some don't like it, that anthracite's the bees-knees, but I'm just not crazy about dark interiors. In my 'yuut' I worked in photography darkrooms; maybe that's why. Of course, it was kind of a hunch on my part, but now that it's here in-the-flesh, I really like the grey and yellow together and I think they work great with the O2 Blue (which I also really like!). I heard from my MA today that neither the MY color line or the GG doors are available any longer so I probably do have a one-of-a-kind (and I like that too ).

Originally Posted by gokartride
I must say, after over a year, I'm as thrilled with my MINI as the day I first brought it home...maybe even moreso.
Ahh, this is just what I want to hear!

I had an absolute blast driving home today. Only wished 'home' had been a few more hours away (I suppose I could have circled the county or something) with a few more hills and dales and twisty roads...but then there's tomorrow!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
But Testwoods I'm glad you've come over to the OCD'er side. Let me know what your DP purchase was and I am more than happy to help with questions.

In regards to the "Ying/Yang" symbol...I see no problems with that, in fact I think it will look GREAT!!
Thanks RJK! Now, justa minute. I'm not on the darkside yet. Heck I just ordered from DP Friday (was that really yesterday?). Oh, I got the super bundle or whatever it's called. What makes me concerned is that I split the 'sticky' MINI washing thread in ~ thirds on as many nights and read it completely. THEN I started cutting & pasting 'the basics' because it went all over the place for a while. Geessh, now I've got that big order coming...and I want to use Clarity right away 'cuz I smuushed a few bugs onto the windshield on the way home tonight. Stepping into the dark?...

Thanks for the on the Y/Y. I really like the idea...we need balance in this world...

Old 08-31-2008, 05:27 AM
Fuso
1st Gear
Wow! Love the Yellow....and Ted's cute too! Congrats and have fun.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 AM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
oh wow! LOVE the yellow. i, too, would never have thought of that color combination but it's so bright and energetic. just like a MINI! congrats and welcome!!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:43 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Thanks everyone!

I posted this in another thread yesterday, but on the off-chance that my fun is critically tied to the color of tedscar, I thought I'd share it with y'all.

I've only had my MINI a day (OK, a day plus an hour). OMG, this is a FUN car! I am fortunate to live in hilly, twisty, western NY. Just got back from the quintescential MINI outing to nowhere in particular.

I have issues. I just found this out today.

The justacoop can go plenty fast. Fast enough to fool you. It almost made me learn the hard way, with a county sherriff pulling me over. Fortunately my better half was along to nag me to slow down (her words, not mine but if the shoe fits... ) a few minutes earlier. How can you slow down in these things? Signs that say curves ahead seem to have hidden MINI-driver only readable text that says 'step on it and lean into the corner!'. Then, someone is putting all these slow-moving obstacles in my way--where did all these people drivng at or below the speed limit come from??? I know, the practical scientist on my shoulder says 'obey speed limits at all times', but who's that other guy telling me that MINI could easily take that corner at another ~20 mph over what I'm doing (and technically those aren't speed LIMITS, they're just advisory)?

Wow--FUN! Now I think I'm starting to understand the MINIverse!...

Quick Reply: R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club