R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Well, I'm one step closer to our first MINI Road Trip! Again, since it is coming w/ the Bridge Spokes and summer runflats, we figured that wouldn't be a good setup for Iowa right after Christmas ... so we went and picked up a set of X-lites with brand new All-Seasons last night! I posted up on our FL MINI forum (sunshineminis) and sure enough, someone had what I needed.

So, here they are!

We also picked up a Garmin Nuvi this week and loaded it with the MINI opening screen and a little Blue and White MINI as the car on the map...

SO... now all we need is an ACTUAL MINI to drive up there!

Hopefully it gets here in time!

Last edited by Blainestang; 12-15-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 PM
LindaPD
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We also picked up a Garmin Nuvi this week and loaded it with the MINI opening screen and a little Blue and White MINI as the car on the map...

Hopefully it gets here in time! [/quote]

I've enjoyed my Garmin Nuvi, but a word to the wise........PAY ATTENTION when you are reading it because I almost got hit by a pickup last week as I was looking too long at the Garmin to turn left and didn't notice there was traffic coming!! Fortunately, my friend who was visiting me yelled to stop or we and Nellie would have been toast. Very scary. I have never had as many gadgets (toys) as I do in my Mini and have a new appreciation for how people have accidents by being distracted.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still consider myself very lucky to own an Oxygen Blue Cooper....getting this color at all was tough and go for a bit!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 PM
LindaPD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tennessee Cutty
I still like my white sport stripes/roof combo better but yours is cooler than most I must admit!

Tennessee Cutty, our Minis could almost be twins. I have the black jack scuttles and I couldn't tell which ones you have. I really like the chrome on the outside, too.

We have snow in the surrounding mountains today. I've lived in San Jose only 10 years, but I understand it's very rare to get it here in the city. I'd like to have a day of it, but I really feel for you all with ice storms and no power No thanks!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 PM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LindaPD

Hopefully it gets here in time!

Which Nuvi model did you all get?
I've been looking at these as a Christmas gift but am overwhelmed by how many models they have. I'm kind of leaning toward the 760.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
I've enjoyed my Garmin Nuvi, but a word to the wise........PAY ATTENTION when you are reading it because I almost got hit by a pickup last week as I was looking too long at the Garmin to turn left and didn't notice there was traffic coming!! Fortunately, my friend who was visiting me yelled to stop or we and Nellie would have been toast. Very scary. I have never had as many gadgets (toys) as I do in my Mini and have a new appreciation for how people have accidents by being distracted.
Well, I'll have a navigator, too... so hopefully we'll avoid too much distraction. However, I used it last night to go pick up the new wheels and I can definitely see how you could end up looking at it too long. Really, anything more than a second or two is too long.

Originally Posted by wannab drivin
Which Nuvi model did you all get?
I've been looking at these as a Christmas gift but am overwhelmed by how many models they have. I'm kind of leaning toward the 760.
We didn't want to spend a bunch of money, so we just got a pretty basic one... the 205W. We didn't even really look at the more expensive ones except for something like the 255 or 255W, which adds the capability for the Garmin to actually SPEAK the street names instead of just saying "turn left in .3 miles" or whatever.

I didn't really see the advantages to the really expensive ones other than maybe traffic stuff, but eventually you have to subscribe to that. Then there is Bluetooth capability and such, but we really just wanted it for one reason... navigation... so we got one of the cheapest widescreen ones.

After a $50 Best Buy Coupon (which you can print online and use until Dec. 31 toward ANY Garmin @ Best Buy... some restrictions apply ) and $70 off from the weekly ad, we paid just $129 for our 205W.

It does everything we wanted it to do, and didn't break the bank.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 AM
LindaPD
2nd Gear
I have the 350 model and like it very much. It talks to me, but I use the visual more than just the sound.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
I have the 350 model and like it very much. It talks to me, but I use the visual more than just the sound.
Yeah, ours talks too, it just doesn't say the actual street names.

205/205W = "In .3 miles, turn Left"

255/255W (or higher) = "In .3 miles, turn left on Main Street"

Maybe it was clear before, but just making sure

Old 12-18-2008, 04:40 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
PICTURES!!

i haven't washed my car lately, fyi.

the stubby antenna my bf got me for christmas!!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:23 PM
LindaPD
2nd Gear
I was wondering, Anna, how's the reception with that stubby?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:26 PM
annasassy86
2nd Gear
I was wondering, Anna, how's the reception with that stubby?
so far so good! one dallas station (i live in waco) isn't coming in clear all the time, but for the most part, i can still listen to it. that's the only thing i've noticed. but it's one of those stations that goes out sometimes anyways.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM
LindaPD
2nd Gear

Here's Nellie with new badges on her bonnet.

Close ups of the badges.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oxygen Blue getting some PR.Article here:http://www.myride.com/snacker-vehicl...702-page1.html

Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Nice pics annasassy! Based on the dismal condition of tedscar right about now (don't tell RJKimball!), I vote to give you a 'pass' on the "dirty" MINI!

Nice collection of badges LPD. Will you be switching those out at will or are they on for the duration?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 AM
LindaPD
2nd Gear
Interesting article, Oxy. Unfortunately, my MA at MINI of Mountain View CA says sales are down even there, so Minis are struggling, too, in spite of the claim in the article.

Ted, I have a few more badges to switch out. I also have 2 badge holders to attach to the license screws. I'm waiting on those until I get my personalized license plates and will probably remove them from the bonnet at that time. Who knows? I like choices

Old 12-21-2008, 08:51 AM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
I completed all the paperwork at the dealer yesterday. They'll go to my DMV Monday and then deliver her to me, probably Tues. or Wed.
But I did get to meet her. <swoon>

Old 12-21-2008, 09:15 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tedswoods
Nice pics annasassy! Based on the dismal condition of tedscar right about now (don't tell RJKimball!), I vote to give you a 'pass' on the "dirty" MINI!

Tedscar, Molly is no longer the Primped and Pampered Princess. At the moment she is safely tucked away in her room, but it has been a dicey week here, so she has stayed home most of the week.

She came out to play on Friday Night to go to Dinner, but didn't want to go back into the garage due to the snow. Yesterday was even worse. We took her out in the 5+" of snow to run errands and getting her back in the garage again was a nightmare. We had to shovel, lay down Ice Melt and Sand in order for her to accend our steep driveway safely. She is not going to come back out until this stuff goes away.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:58 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
HEY WANNAB! Right on buddy! Looks great! Have a blast and keep us posted your adventures. Be careful out there! Adventure lurks around (and through) every corner.

RJ, it sounds like you all are getting hammered out there! We just heard from a friend in Seattle that they were getting hit pretty hard too, even on the wet-side. Hope you hold up through it OK. Keep the MINI safe! As I type this, we're getting 40 mph winds and it's about 10 degrees out. I wish we had our old wood stove...

Old 12-21-2008, 05:26 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tedswoods
RJ, it sounds like you all are getting hammered out there! We just heard from a friend in Seattle that they were getting hit pretty hard too, even on the wet-side. Hope you hold up through it OK. Keep the MINI safe! As I type this, we're getting 40 mph winds and it's about 10 degrees out. I wish we had our old wood stove...
It started snowing again about an hour ago. They say another 2-7 inches on top of what is already on the ground. I'd say we have 5 - 6 inches right now. There are cars now left along the side of our street, we saw one guy come and clean out his truck, I'm guessing that it is going to sit there until the roads clear. They are saying we aren't going to warm up until next Weekend. Temps. in the Mid 20's to Mid 30s all week.

We are lucky though we have 2 Wood Burning Fireplaces, and we put in a Heat Pump 3 Years ago. Our Power Co. is also very good about keeping our homes lit and warm. I was just thinking about starting a fire in the Living Room Fireplace...I'll be thinking about you.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:34 PM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
She is being driven up to my house tomorrow. Should be here right around the time I get home from work.
They couldn't get a truck until after Xmas so my salesman offered to drive her up on his day off. Nice guy!
5:00 tomorrow night I will be driving my Mini!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
wannab--that's great! My MINI is a mess right now; hope yours looks better'n mine when it's delivered. Are they bringing pizza too?

RJ, I was all set to feel sorry for you, until the 12-18 inches of snow they predicted here actually happened! Oh sure, it was about 12 hours late, but that didn't stop it from moving right in. And the worst part is I wouldn't even mind it. I actually like most winters. But this one has been on-again / off-again from the start. Last night it was 5 degrees and windy as all get out. Today we got over a foot of snow. By Wednesday, they say it's going to be almost 50 and raining. I do hate it when that happens!

Hope you're getting through the worst of it--stay warm!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:54 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
A consolation to ALL of the snow...Hubby and I stayed home today. His Office was closed, and I was not going to venture 16 miles from home without him in this kind of weather. I have to go in tomorrow for sure, so we'll brave the drive and see how things go. Wednesday they are predicting another 1-5 inches of the White Stuff. This is a very unusual Fall, Winter didn't start until yesterday. We've had 14.5" as of this afternoon recorded at the Airport, 2008 is 3rd in line for a Record Snow Fall.

The Durango did very well today in 4WD, we tried to find a few things this afternoon...only found two (Wind-up Radio, Sand) of the five things we were looking for. Snow Shovel No where to be found!! Ice Melt only found two bags...I wanted a container. And Chains for the Molly Car store shelves were bare!!

Old 12-23-2008, 05:11 AM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
Tedswoods, probably not a pizza, but I am getting rubber floor mats.
I expect she won't be showroom clean when she arrives.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
She may not be Showroom Clean Wannab, but she will be H<3ME!!! Pics. are required once she has been safely delivered.

Merry Christmas to You and all of the other OB/W/B Parents out there!!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Not ours... just one of the THREE Oxygen Blue MINI's they have at Ferman MINI right now:

Quick Reply: R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club