R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Entering reverse when trying to downshift to second, is it a defect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:03 AM
bart5467
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WinneMini
I've done the reverse instead of first thing--but only once (so far). Reverse seems like a foreign territory. I have to say that the 6-speed is harder to adjust to than I thought it would be. I've only been away from a 5-speed 5 years, but adding that 6th gear and staying under 4500rpms is making me the most nervous driver ever! My head seems to remember the 5-speed and I intuitively am using 2nd as 1st. I also have "trouble" getting into 6th. I can't explain it--but I'm getting better. I'm up to 250 miles now.
I also zone out enjoying the ride and find I'm driving in too low a gear---just plain old forget to shift! (Girlie stuff--I know!)
i have 1300 miles on mine and sometimes from Neutral i end up in reverse instead of 1st and i have a BMW and it seems it is far 2 easy 2 go in2 reverse w/ the Mini

Old 04-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Buffdigits
1st Gear
huh just weird. I drove around at lunch time and couldnt even intentional get the car to go into reverse while going into first or second. (no way its going into reverse when going into second gear).

so either you guys have a wacked shifter or you have developed a really bad habit of pulling laterally on the shifter when you should be pushing or pulling practially straight up and down.

I had a bmw for awhile as well and never had the problem either.

and with the mini its so damn easy to shift and takes so little effort
im baffled on how it would go into reverse uintentionally *shrug*

Old 04-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep the gear arrangement isn't intuitive. Reverse push lever forward?? My car is an R53, but the pattern & problems are the same. I've never hit the reverse detent when shifting up or down. Maybe you are horsing the lever a bit too hard. Easy does it. The only problem I've had is sitting at a light in neutral, go to shift into first & hit reverse. Haven't backed into anyone yet. My solution for this is when I put it in first while stopped I pull it back to second gear. If it won't go back into second...yikes I have reverse. The more I drive this car the easier its gotten. Getting used to it takes a bit of time.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:27 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
Ok so I've been motoring a bit harder lately since the car passed its break-in period. I've noticed when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd the shifter enters the gate for reverse. Then it seems it's very easy to keep going into that gate instead of being locked out like you should be with forward motion.

Now in my old M Coupe this NEVER happened. Reverse was completely locked out until I had the car stopped or at a very low speed. It seemed much harder to engage the reverse gate.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is this common? or maybe should I take it in to the dealer? It sorta sucks when you're hitting a corner perfectly then try to accelerate away only to notice that you can't get into second gear.
In any car I have ever driven, the 3-2 downshift, or even the 2-3 upshift, is usually done without grabbing the ****, either with my hand or fingers. I just put my hand or fingers behind the ****, and pull or push in the direction of the desired gear. The shifter almost always finds it way there. BTW, this also gets easier and more precise the longer the car is driven due to the shifter breaking in, so to speak, and/or the driver becoming familiar with the idiosyncracies of the vehicle.

Now, I don't know where reverse is on the MINIs' six-speed. By the description of the problem, it sounds like it's down and to the left of 2nd. If that's where it is, then that's a stupid place to put it. The most logical places to put reverse in a double H six speed box are up and to the left of first, or down and to the right of 6th, where they would not be in the flow line of any across-the-pattern shifts (2-3, 4-5 upshifts, and 5-4, 3-2 downshifts).

One thing for sure, most shifters do better with a lighter touch, rather than a heavy handed one.

My .02.

Zip

Old 04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WinneMini
I also have "trouble" getting into 6th. I can't explain it--but I'm getting better. I'm up to 250 miles now.
I also zone out enjoying the ride and find I'm driving in too low a gear---just plain old forget to shift! (Girlie stuff--I know!)
You described me ~ for the first couple of months I had my MINI. Huzz and I would go for a drive, and he'd say, "You do still have another gear to go you know".

It gets alot better, Winnie. Hang in there! Took about 1500 miles for me to get the hang of it but it's smooooooth motoring now.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Mini_Voyager
Motorholic
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
In any car I have ever driven, the 3-2 downshift, or even the 2-3 upshift, is usually done without grabbing the ****, either with my hand or fingers. I just put my hand or fingers behind the ****, and pull or push in the direction of the desired gear. The shifter almost always finds it way there. BTW, this also gets easier and more precise the longer the car is driven due to the shifter breaking in, so to speak, and/or the driver becoming familiar with the idiosyncracies of the vehicle.

Now, I don't know where reverse is on the MINIs' six-speed. By the description of the problem, it sounds like it's down and to the left of 2nd. If that's where it is, then that's a stupid place to put it. The most logical places to put reverse in a double H six speed box are up and to the left of first, or down and to the right of 6th, where they would not be in the flow line of any across-the-pattern shifts (2-3, 4-5 upshifts, and 5-4, 3-2 downshifts).

One thing for sure, most shifters do better with a lighter touch, rather than a heavy handed one.

My .02.

Zip
Actually I believe on MINI, the Reverse is to the left of 1st gear and upward, per your suggestion as to the most logical place to place it. Personally I'd prefer it on the right side, right of 6th gear and downward--but then I've been driving cars with that shift layout for a long time. It just seems a bit unnatural to have the Reverse gear going upward when you want to go backward (in the same direction as downward shift).

I do agree on the need to maintain a light touch--in fact I probably should concentrate on making my shifts lighter--this discussion got me to thinking about my shifting, and I think I've been a bit too heavy-handed with it.... Need to break that habit before I go near a MINI.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:03 PM
kookmyers
4th Gear
it happend to me

I was going from 3rd to 2nd and felt it pop into the reverse section....
Its funny because when i want to go into reverse from a stop, its quite tight to get it over there.
i feel that i was light on force when it happened.....

Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Maybe you should alter your movement so there is just a bit more 'down' and a bit less 'left.'

Zip

Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 PM
glangford
6th Gear
I don't have a problem. I use my palm and ring or pinkie finger. A light touch and no problem.