R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 So Does The Novelty Wear Off ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Started obsessing in '02
Bought in '05
Still say 'MINI!' every time I see one
Got three 'waves' during my last motor
For me, it does not wear off...

Old 04-18-2007, 04:41 PM
CSC.RCC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope it never wears off. I have been lusting after the MINI since I first read about them in a Car magazine back in 2001 or 2... before they every came over here. Everyone thinks I am crazy the way I rave about a car I don't even own. (well, one week more...) But, when I was living in the Bay Area, I couldn't, in conscience, own a car when I, at most, needed to drive one every 3 or four weeks (thank goodness for City Car Share and the Bart). NOW, however, I am trapped in a small town, with no real public transport or nearby grocery... so.... here comes the MINI. Two problems solved: the frantic MINI-love, and the groceries and transport.

J'aime mon MINI.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:11 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
If you went to a Scion forum, what do you think they would say if asked the same question?

IMO, its all depends upon you

If you have the itch for change, you will change. If not, you may be very happy.
Yawn. I'm bored just looking at a Scion. If I was driving one I think I'd need to bring a book to read just to do something to stay awake (yes while driving).

Last edited by mufflethis; 04-18-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I agree with Chows (for once ) in that it all depends on the person - I've loved all my cars in the last decade, really enjoyed them for their strengths, modded them and became involved in forums of enthusiast owners who all also are having a good time with whatever car it is. I went on drives just for the sake of it and had fun driving them - maybe I'm just lucky that I was able to get good cars, I dunno, but the Mini(s) has been no different really, it has its strong points and shortcomings, the biggest difference being the particularly large and busy community of NAM and the small factor making it especially easy to dart around and park vs other cars (and having parking advantages never get old, but then again there are tons of other Minis here too).

I suppose it boils down to your own past experiences and living conditions, and in my case I have to say that since I have enjoyed other cars very much I do consider getting a different one - it's not that the 'novelty', per se, of the Mini wears off but that I'd like the feel of rear wheel drive, or perhaps something that can handle the bad roads better and /or feel more solid, strong or be more of a sports car. Yes I do have fun with the Mini, which is why we've had two, but I'm not blind to the novelty some other cars have to offer either.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:07 PM
BLKDINAN
2nd Gear
Only the tires wear off!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Does the novelty wear off?

Most definitely...Even before delivery, I got bored and had wheels/tires waiting...then a week later, I got tired of the calipers and painted them...then the OEM pads were becoming boring long before they were even broken in so they were replaced with EBC pads...then it looked too tall so I lowered it...then...

Well...that was four years ago and I still get bored easily...That's why I'm about to install my third cylinder head because I got bored of the first two...

Last edited by MSFITOY; 04-18-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:14 PM
KimM
Neutral
[quote=FlyingSmiley;1482782]The 1st year and a half I drove my MINI almost 100 miles a day just work to home, plus a couple extra trips when I forgot something at home or needed to go back to work for something. Now I live about a mile and a half, from work and most mornings I miss my drive!! Now I just go out and try to get lost more often. I have even had to turn the GPS on a time or two cause I had no idea where I was. even though it is better to drive nowhere than to work. I miss having my morning drive to look forward to

I have a 90-mile round trip commute to work every day... and I must admit that I can't wait to hop in the car and make that drive. I have only had my MINI for a week and a half, but I LOVE my car. I used to dread the commute but now it's a blast. I thought it was going to be a difficult transition, because I went from a full-size SUV to my little MINI... but I have no regrets at all. I am smiling all the way to work (and at the gas pump!)

Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Gold88
1st Gear
We'll see. Just two years ago I was showing off my new Jeep. I loved it! Two months ago I had to get rid of it. I get bored of things very fast, if the Mini stays around for more than two years it will be the longest I will have ever owned a vehicle.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:18 PM
PFD-149
1st Gear
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I was fairly confident that folks would respond as they have. However, what is impressive is the amount of responses and the passion

I have driven both flavors of the MINI and they are pretty sweet. I think that I am going to stick my original plan and keep the truck and go with the base Cooper. I have an Oxygen Blue one on the Freedom and should be arriving here in Chicago in the next week.

The S sure is tempting though

Old 04-18-2007, 06:29 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't the S the only choice?

Am I missing something? I love my Chili Red S!

Of course I loved the Jetta GLi (now for sale), '57 Chevy wagon, Honda Civics, and still have the '48 Chevy pickup (don't ask).

There are several other CR MINIs running around town, not so novel in that regard. Track time tends to wear out brake pads and tires. And I'm still posting away here.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:39 PM
SpeedyV
2nd Gear
I was sooo glad to return a loaner and get my Speedy back this afternoon...apparently, the novelty hasn't worn off a bit

Old 04-18-2007, 06:40 PM
07chilired
5th Gear
I am on my 2nd MINI and I don't think that I will ever have another car again! Especially after using the sport button! I love this car!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 PM
BartMack
6th Gear
wait..... there's Novelty too-??

<----- starts reading owner's manual....

Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BartMack
wait..... there's Novelty too-??

<----- starts reading owner's manual....
Don't worry I think it's covered under the warranty if it wears off.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dxl007
Some people thing I'm nuts for getting rid of my 2005 Lotus Elise for a MCS.
Yeah, I'm getting that too from some of my friends who cannot understand why I would want to give up my beautiful perfect-condition Prius for this little car. The Prius is so very practical, almost the antithesis of my MCS say they. Am I not going to miss all those, 'features' that are not to be seen on my new little car? I just can't make them understand.

I've missed my turbocharged, tight suspension, Saabs and Audis. One day, not too long ago, I watched the movie, The Italian Job. The actors were experiencing, to the max, all that I've truly loved about driving. So I tried out an R53 S. Wow! What a drive. Here was a car that had the best of all the features that have been most important to me in the past. If I took a minimalist approach and stripped down my past cars to an enhanced version of that which I loved most, I'd come up with that R53 S. So I ordered an R56 S and hoped it would be that R53 S and then some. It is .. It definitely is.

So .. The question is, "Does the novelty wear off". Okay, I've only had my MCS for a month but I can tell you now that the "novelty" will never wear off. Because, to me, the novelty isn't about what a car is, it's about what the car does. And this car does to the max that which I never got tired of on past cars. This car is built around the idea of a really fun drive. It's not built around luxury, practicality, bells and whistles, or the 'look' that's currently popular, as I see it, it's built around the idea of solidity, personality, and, "the drive".

The look of this car has been around for years and years. The big surprise is, people seem to love this car, at least the folks who have a sense of adventure. In just these few weeks I've received more non-solicited compliments than on any other car I've owned. If you can call other people's response to your car a novelty, then I guaranty this novelty will never wear off.

Last edited by Ken Cooper; 04-19-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Sissy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
.... This car is built around the idea of a really fun drive. It's not built around luxury, practicality, bells and whistles, or the 'look' that's currently popular, as I see it, it's built around the idea of solidity, personality, and, "the drive".

The look of this car has been around for years and years. ....
A+ Great response. This sums up my sentiments to a T.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dxl007
Some people thing I'm nuts for getting rid of my 2005 Lotus Elise for a MCS. Talk about a car that the novelty can ware off? Try getting in and out of it every day. Then there is the lack of any king of creator comforts. You think the MINI has a small boot, ha! With the top off and in the trunk you'd better not take anything bigger than a business card with you. Those that wine about cubbies and storage lacking in a MINI. How about no glove box or arm rest. The only great thing the Lotus does well is corner, but from what I understand the MINI is no slacker.

Anyway my .02$

Well I have an Elise and I also have a MINI S 03. While everything you stated was "true" up to a point, they are also characteristics that were clearly APPARENT before you purchased the car. The Elise is not for everyone and the car screams this long before you get into it.

Your points of getting in an out. No problem for me, of course I'm pretty thin no idea what you look like or age but again this aspect of the car is right up front before you even hit the start button. Don't blame the car.

Dude, of course it's going to have a small boot. It's a small car for one. Much smaller than a MINI (Which is not as small as it looks) The Elise is NOT a hatchback and it's mid engine. Try getting a decent boot in a Porsche Boxster, MR2 etc. Actually, I didn't think it was too bad. Stored enough stuff for a weekend trip with the girfriend and this included two folding lawn chairs. Am I going to HD to carry home a hot water heater? No. Not what I bought the car for. Business card reference is dumb. I own the car so don't try to impress those that may not have experience with one and deride it.

Again, this car made no question of it's intentions. Armrest and glovebox? what you want a cup holder to hold your big gulp as well? Wrong car. Either you bought the Elise sight unseen and without pictures, you had gun to your head to buy it or you were so excited that you were temporarily blind. No S@@t there is no glovebox. Just LOOK! There is a aluminum tray. Come on. Again the "bitching" is about things that were VERY apparent in the first place.

The Elise does quite few things well besides cornering but in that respect that is the purpose of the car. It's not a family car, station wagon, hatchback, sedan, truck etc. It's a pure sports car (thinly disguised race for the street) and if your disapointed or pissed at a car which blatantly advertised that it has NONE or very little of the complaints you mentioned before you purchased it, speaks volumes. The Elise is a special car for people that "get it" and it's obvious you do not. That's fine but refrain from bashing the car to a forum that again may not have that mush experience with the car. Go to Elise Talk and have fun, you can complaint to your hearts content and they can "flame" you back or agree.

As for my MINI it's a blast but a different car than the Elise. Point is they have different purposes and meaning. Don't confuse the two.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh as for novelty, this really depends on the person. No one can answer that for you. Personally I keep cars a long time. I had by BMW for 12.5 years and played with it the whole time. My Ducati the same amount of time. My TR6 6 years. Some vehicles last a year, some more than a decade. My MINI I personally willl keep for quite a while. That was the intention when I purchased it. It's paid for and the next car will be a BMW or possibly a Porsche....But the new 335i has my interest and I do miss my BMW (just sold last Nov) already!!

Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 AM
IamRascal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Started obsessing in '02
Bought in '05
Still say 'MINI!' every time I see one
Got three 'waves' during my last motor
For me, it does not wear off...
Still obsessing since 02, waiting for college debt to dwindle and savings to climb, hopefully next May at latest. Many new cars have been released but I still come back to the Mini after only driving one once. Incredible cars, especially for the price and peformance.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:04 AM
aem421
4th Gear
I think it all depends on the individual. I don't think the "novelty" wears off on any car you own. Most people that buy a car look around, take a test drive, do the research, and try and find the best price for the car (I would hope). Once you've put in all that time and effort, I think most people get rid of the car because it is not practical for them anymore or it's starting to break down too often.

I don't even own a MINI yet but I've wanted one since the day I first saw one. Right now I'm driving an '02 Subaru WRX and it is an absolute blast to drive. I really don't want to sell it, but after 5 years and many, many hours of playing around with it, I'm ready for something else. The novelty hasn't worn off, I'm just ready for something "new" to drive. I'm sure after 5 years I'll be ready for a new MINI or something else. Who knows. I look forward to the experience.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
PFD-149
1st Gear
Well, decided to ditch the truck and get the MCS. Chili Red/White. Premium, Cold Weather and Sport packages.

What a blast

Yeah, I know that I need to change my signature

Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PFD-149
Chili Red/White.
A classic...congrats!!!