R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Gestation period?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
SuzCooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gestation period?

Hi There,

I recently ordered a dark silver MCS with lots of outstanding advice from my friends. I just received my production number last friday and my baby is officially "on order". What are the average times people have experienced for each stage of "development" (i.e. on order, scheduled for production, awaiting transport, enroute, at distribution center, and at your mini dealer)?

I can't wait for my baby to be delivered!

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:56 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM. A fine choice in colors, I might add. I am sure your "baby" will be a beaut when she arrives.
Times vary from dealership to dealership. The current trend is around 6 weeks, I believe.
To aid in the prevention of depression, try and occupy your time by planning trips, mods, and nit picking over your selection of options. It doesn't really help, but it is something to do.
Congrats!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:33 PM
sbutler20
2nd Gear
My experience thus far...

Ordered on March 31st.
Recv'd prod number on Apr5
Owner lounge still says on order as of today
I spoke with Ask Mini rep who says car should be completed on Apr 24th
Since I'm on the west coast another 5-6 wks of delay.
Expecting around the 1-2nd wk of June.

Hope that helps. It sure is a long wait. I probably shouldn't have sold the other car so hastily. Having one car with two people is a bit of a drag.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
Congrats on your upcoming ride, its WELL worth the wait Here's how my recent order went:

1. ordered on 2/22

2. produced on 3/14

3. arrived in S.C. on 4/4 or so

4. dropped off at the dealership on 4/11

5. I picked it up on 4/12/07

Old 04-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welp, if you need to attend the "Skuzzy School-o-Whine", then you need to make your reservation, early, and often, as slots are filling quickly. There you will be taught the fine art of whining incessantly. You will be schooled by the finest whiners your money can buy. You will learn how to apply your whine with finesse and gusto, all the while not irritating the other people around you! Or if you like to irritate, we can teach you thaat as well! Lab costs and materials are your responsibility. We are not accredited, but that is something else you can whine about!
--
I got my production number pretty quick. Then I went a month sitting "On Order", and just last weekend, I GOT SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION!!! WOOT!! Oh yeah baaaaabyyyyy! It's on now!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:36 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
Your location and your dealer's free production slots have a lot to do with how soon your MCS will arrive. Generally, people on the East Coast have had less of a wait between ordering and getting a production date and have also had to wait less for their cars to get shipped, since West Coast cars have to sail trough the Panama Canal.

I ordered on 4/7 and have just been told today that it will go into production on the week of 4/30, meaning, if all goes according to plan I can expect delivery in early to mid July (I hope).

Also, keep in mind that the information in the Owner's Lounge is at least a few days (and occasionally more than a week) behind what's actually being done. It will take about a week for it to display your correct order information, it will continue to say that production has not been scheduled even though a date has been set, etc. 866-ASK-MINI is a much better source for this type of information, just make sure to speak to a real person, as the automated info is the same as that in the OL. Check out the "How to Track Your Mini" thread in the 1st Gear section for a much more comprehensive guide to keeping tabs on your car's production schedule.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
iDriveS
3rd Gear
As you can see, it varies a lot. I ordered on 4/4, went into production 4/16 with an ECD of 4/21 but ASK-MINI has told me that it will hopefully be done 4/20. I am hoping to have the car by 5/11. I've got it a little easier being in Boston and less than four hours from NY.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:33 PM
SuzCooper
Neutral
Good news

Thanks, everyone! My baby has moved from "On order" to "Scheduled for Production"! Now, I just have to settle on my "dealer installed" options....

Old 04-22-2007, 07:00 PM
DaveCo
2nd Gear
Clearly alot of variety ... seems to be based on a lot of factors including the allocation your dealer has. But here's my detail:

Ordered: 3/22
In Production: 3/27
Completion Complete: 4/2
Depart Southampton: 4/6
Arrive Charleston: 4/22

... the rest -- for me -- is still TBD! I hope this helps. NAM is a great place to hang out while waiting!

Old 04-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It seems that the main variables are:

1. Which month the dealer has allocation slots available.
2. How long the car waits at Southampton to get on a ship. I just missed getting on the MAERSK WAVE and had to wait a week for the ISOLDE.
3. If you are on the west coast, how long it takes to get through the Panama Canal. The ship with my MINI has been anchored for several days -- presumably waiting its turn through the locks.
4. How much of a backlog there is at the VDC.
5. How long your dealer takes to clean it up and get it ready.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Cooper LOVER
1st Gear
Congrats on Your Mini. Your going to love it!!!!!
My first one I order it was suppose to take about 8 weeks and thank goodness someone changed their mind one and it had the color and features i wanted.
My second had just come into the dealership and again all the features I wanted. Its sparkling silver. My friend have waited at long as 8 to 10 weeks for theirs.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 AM
dxl007
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Welp, if you need to attend the "Skuzzy School-o-Whine", then you need to make your reservation, early, and often, as slots are filling quickly. There you will be taught the fine art of whining incessantly. You will be schooled by the finest whiners your money can buy. You will learn how to apply your whine with finesse and gusto, all the while not irritating the other people around you! Or if you like to irritate, we can teach you thaat as well! Lab costs and materials are your responsibility. We are not accredited, but that is something else you can whine about!
--
I got my production number pretty quick. Then I went a month sitting "On Order", and just last weekend, I GOT SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION!!! WOOT!! Oh yeah baaaaabyyyyy! It's on now!

So what in the world are gonna wine about when you get your MINI????

Old 04-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
It is part of the twelve step program of becoming an owner.

1) Excitement (at the prospect of ownership)
2) Anxiety (over picking the options)
3) Elation (order day!)
4) Impatience (where is it?!?!)
5) Complaining (It's not here yet!!!!)
6) Whining (It's still not here yet!)
7) Mildly Agitated (where the h#$! is it!?!?!)
8) Self pity (why me!?!?!)
9) Depression (it's never going to get here)
10) More Anxiety (what the h#$! are they doing over there!!!!!!)
11) Anticipation (IT'S ON THE BOAT!!!)
12) Adrenaline induced euphoria (IT'S HERE!!!!!!!)

Old 04-24-2007, 06:39 AM
dxl007
2nd Gear
Your gonna have me so excited, I might have to drive to Texas to see it..lol

Old 04-24-2007, 06:48 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
It is part of the twelve step program of becoming an owner.
I agree....the whole process is designed to alleviate one of excess sanity that will no longer be needed once you're actually out motoring. That much enjoyment would simply be a physiological overload without some sort of ramping-up process. I suggest working out your smiling muscles, too....they are often severely over-taxed during the first month of ownership. In this case, whining simply equals early-onset obsession. Many of the folks who fail to recover can be found in the detailing thread.

Last edited by gokartride; 04-24-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 AM
<Mark>
1st Gear
Skuzzy

You forgot:

10a) It's finally Built, now when isit going to the port?
10b) It's finally at the port, how long is it going to sit waiting for a boat?
10c) It's scheduled for a boat

11a) When is this boat ever going to get here?
11b) For those on the West Coast - How long does it take to go through a little Canal?
11c) The boat has arrived hasn't it? No update, but it was scheduled for two days ago!
11d) Finally in the VDC and an estimated delivery date.
11e) Why is it still at the VDC, and will I ever see my poor MINI?
11f) The call from your MA (if you haven't been calling 4 time a day since the estimated delivery date), it's there but they need to do the final prep work, yea whatevere.

12) Doesn't happen till you sit in your new MINI.

Skuzzy I just listed the missing steps and am leave the whining to a Pro.
I'm at 11h) waiting to pick-up my MINI, and delayed because of my schedule :(.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dxl007
Your gonna have me so excited, I might have to drive to Texas to see it..lol
ROFL!

Originally Posted by gokartride
I agree....the whole process is designed to alleviate one of excess sanity that will no longer be needed once you're actually out motoring. That much enjoyment would simply be a physiological overload without some sort of ramping-up process. I suggest working out your smiling muscles, too....they are often severely over-taxed during the first month of ownership. In this case, whining simply equals early-onset obsession. Many of the folks who fail to recover can be found in the detailing thread.
Ahhh, those folks in the detail forum got nuthin on me. Did I tell you about my portable steam cleaner (primary use is to clean the wheelwells, the backside of the tires and wheels)? How about my paint booth?

<Mark>, I ran out of steps if I wanted to keep it within twelve.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 AM
ManaMini
2nd Gear
Ordered on 3/7/07
Built on 3/17/07
Boarded on Ship 3/19/07
Arrived in California 4/7/07
Got into VDC 4/9/07
Arrived at Dealer 4/11/07
Picked it up on 4/13/07

Old 04-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ManaMini
Ordered on 3/7/07
Built on 3/17/07
Boarded on Ship 3/19/07
Arrived in California 4/7/07
Got into VDC 4/9/07
Arrived at Dealer 4/11/07
Picked it up on 4/13/07
I wish I was so lucky.

Ordered 3/12/07
Boarded ship on 4/9/07
Currently at anchor in Panama...

Old 04-29-2007, 08:58 AM
SuzCooper
Neutral
More good news

My baby is awaiting transport. When I found out and shouted "my baby has been born", I got some rather puzzled looks.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:04 AM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
That is good news but try not to get too excited at that stage...mine has been hanging out at the port for 9 days.

On the plus side, I'm hoping to hear that my application to the SSOW has been accepted.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuzCooper
My baby is awaiting transport.
Mine is, too, as of end of last week!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 12:21 PM
AstroCoop
2nd Gear
I ordered mine on April 13th (Friday the 13th) and I began to get frustrated with it being "on order" according to the OL so I called 866-ASK-MINI and they told me that it was already almost done with production! It'll be catching a boat the week of April 30th!

Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 PM
BludyL
3rd Gear
Here's my schedule. The waiting is terrible. The obsession is great.

April 9, order was placed, Got my Order Number, checked Owners Lounge
I was lucky, I took someone else's production slot who cancelled their order.

April 11, checked Owners Lounge. Old vehicle configuration was finally gone. Mine configuration was finally there. Well, most of it. Called my MA, and he assured me that everything was fine, everything I ordered WAS ordered.

April 12, Order Status changed from On Order to Schedule for Production

April 16, Production Starts. 866-ASK-MINI said that Estimated Completion Date was April 19. I think for most people when Production starts is when the timing starts to match other people. The wait until production starts is usually what varies the most from person to person.

April 17, 866-ASK-MINI says that it was in the paint shop. Also figured out how to push buttons and avoid using the voice recognition on 866-ASK-MINI. Mostly because I was embarrassed that I kept calling and my cubicle neighbors started to get annoyed with me once an hour, every hour saying "Vehicle Production Status...3611997...Yes...Production Order Number". I knew I had to figure out how to use the dial pad when one of them started mimicking me like a parrot.

April 18, 866-ASK-MINI says that the vehicle is complete. All the while still says Scheduled for Production on Owner's Lounge.

April 19, 866-ASK-MINI says Vehicle is at the port awaiting a shipping vessel.

April 20, Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics website says I am booked aboard the Liberty. 866-ASK-MINI still says Vehicle is at the port.

April 21, The Liberty sets sail. I start tracking it's movements. 866-ASK-MINI still says at the port

April 27. 866-ASK-MINI finally changes to Vehicle is in Transit. Liberty is in the Atlantic. Tracking every movement of the ship. Cubicle neighbors file an HR complaint against me. Apparently a large cardboard mock-up of Sauron's All Seeing Eye mounted above my cube and my constant rantings about "my precious getting closer to me...I can feel it" is frowned upon as "unprofessional".

April 29, The Liberty is a few hundred miles from New York.

April 30 - Car should be released to VPC

May 2 - Car should be released from VPC

May 4 - Car should be at dealer, gets dealer accessories installed

May 5 - Pick up??? Hopefully??? If so, that's 4 weeks from start to finish. From what I've read, that is very very rare and I'm lucky fool.

Last edited by BludyL; 05-09-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:20 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BludyL
Cubicle neighbors file an HR complaint against me. Apparently a large cardboard mock-up of Sauron's All Seeing Eye mounted above my cube and my constant rantings about "my precious getting closer to me...I can feel it" is frowned upon as "unprofessional".

At least it's only your coworkers. My friends have been merciless in making fun of my OCD-like obsession with my car's progress. In retrospect, perhaps my "it's in production" interpretive dance was a bit over the top.

Quick Reply: R56 Gestation period?