R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Cooper LOVER
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please!!!

This is my second Mini. The first one I had no problems with it at all. It was a 2005 Mini. I decided I needed a little more pickup so I got a 2007 Mini on Saturday April 14, at Mini of the Woodlands. Which is in Texas. Its always been a great dealership and that is even more why I went back there.
Okay now for the problem. I got my Mini on Saturday like I said. Well on Monday. The car displayed the vehicle check of the outline of the car after I left the dealership for I had gone there on Monday April 16 for window tinting. So I ended up leaving the car. The manager said it was likely a false or something like that. Okay I picked it up today April 18, I head toward home quite a ways from the dealership. What happen's the dang same thing happens again. I noticed it happen not long after I push the feature that tightens the steering wheel. In fact I noticed that when I pushed that feature Mini horsepower went up some. I am so upset for we decided to Our Mini for 3 years instead of buying it. Well all the miles I am putting on it now for mainly for going back to the dealership. The dealership is almost 100 miles round trip for us. We got the car with 2 miles on it and now the car has over 350 miles and most of that is from going back and forth to the dealership and now I have to go back. I am really thinking about calling them in the morning and making them pick up the Mini and leave me with a Mini till they can get the problem repaired. I don't believe it when a manager says, oh well a service engine light usually goes away on its on. I highly doubt that one. He said he drove it and so did service tech but they drove it just around the block or so.

I welcome any suggestions. Its three year lease. 45,000.00 miles is what we are allowed.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 PM
dneal
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read your owner's manual. Various symbols displayed start on page 116.

An outline of the car with the words "check info", for example, is not the car malfunctioning. It's not clear in your post what "warning" (if any) you're getting on your car.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Loui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can have the car diagnose itself utilizing the column stalk. See manual for help. One further thought is to check whether you have tightened the fuel filler cap.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Cooper LOVER
1st Gear
Thanks for your responses. My Mini is now back at the dealership in service. sighs
They are trying to figure out what is going on. They will totally be re-programming everything. sighs sighs but they say 98 percent respond great.
What I am getting is the service engine light the moment I push the option that tighten the steering.

I am really thinking I should have gone with the Mini S automatic.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:27 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are a couple of threads on this running right now--one is in the Metroplex MINI site.

Did you buy from Art, Keith, or Aka? Where do you live?

Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Please post an update when you can. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Let me see if I understand what you're trying to say. You took delivery of a car that had a Check Control message, and didn't have the dealer sort it before leaving, nor did you read the owners manuel to figure out what it meant. You then pushed the Sport button, and got upset. Then you got upset again for leasing the car versus buying it.

The service manager is correct that some check engine codes expire and turn off the light after several ignition cycles, but you said the Check Control, which is a BCM system, had it's message light on.

What's actually the problem? The car appears to be operating correctly, right? Do you want the dealer to add miles to your lease from all this running about?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:30 AM
dchautin
3rd Gear
I didn't think the auto mini s was availible yet..

Old 04-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Cooper LOVER
1st Gear
No it did not have the light on when I first got the car or I wouldn't have left the dealership. This is my second Mini Cooper. My first one I loved and had it for 2 years but I needed a little more pick up.

The service engine light started coming on the 3 day I had the car when I pushed the option that makes your steering wheel tighten. The car also died about 3 0r 4 times. Keith was my saleman and he has been great. He was also my saleman for my first Mini.
They are suppose to totally re-programed the car today. They say its has 98 percent of clearing any problem so we will see. Keith has assured me they will take care of me. I believe him and the dealership. Oh also yes I read my owners manual. Hey I may be woman but I am not dumb. LOL

Last edited by Cooper LOVER; 04-23-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Cooper LOVER
1st Gear
The 2007 Mini and Mini S are both out.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooper LOVER
No it did not have the light on when I first got the car or I wouldn't have left the dealership.

The service engine light started coming on the 3 day I had the car when I pushed the option that makes your steering wheel tighten. The car also died about 3 0r 4 times.

They are suppose to totally re-programed the car today. They say its has 98 percent of clearing any problem so we will see. Keith has assured me they will take care of me. I believe him and the dealership. Oh also yes I read my owners manual.
That's good!

Ok so the icon for the engine illumiated when you pushed the Sport button, not the icon that is the car outline? Or did the engine icon illuminate after pushing the Sport button and driving for a while? Can you elaborate what happened when the car [engine?] died?

I hope they're right that reflashing the car will help. If the engine icon was on, they should be able to observe the OBDII code and find if there are any actual problems or if it was just a software glitch. The OBDII is very helpful in determining if there are problems with the engine, as it monitors all the sensors and checks to see if they're working correctly.

Good luck,
Ryan

Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Cooper LOVER
1st Gear
I am so mad now I can't even see straight. I just found out they did not totally reprogramed the car like they told me they were. They said they were told not to my BMW. At least they could have called me and told me!. They told oh well we reset it and it off. Oh big deal they have done that before.
I have friends who have the 2007 Mini and so far none of them have had it where the service engine light comes on on a car that barely a week old. In fact they had there cars for a couple of months now and they still have not had the service engine light come one theirs at all. Now Mini Service at the Woodlands is telling me its a software programs and I am stuck with the service engine light on if it happens again till they get the software in to fix it and that might not be till June. That's not right! This is new car. They telling oh not too worry its just a clinch and the engine does not really need to be service. I am really doubting them and then what the heck will they do when or if I found out oh well the service engine light was on but you at mini told me to ignore it for its a software problem. GRRRRRRRR. I am trying to figure out who I talked to next now for I don't have any idea. GRRRRRR/

Old 04-23-2007, 04:54 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is the car running all right? Are you just unhappy that the service light is on?

I would take up your concerns with Aka--after all, he's the manager there--but my guess is that this is just a software problem for which there will be a fix. I wouldn't worry about it if the engine is running ok. You might also want to do a search for the other threads that cover this issue.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Cooper LOVER
1st Gear
Well when its running its run great. But it has died a total of 3 or 4 times total. I would feel alot better if they just replace the car. I am not asking for my money back.For like I said I Love the Mini. I had a 2005 one and if I did not love them I wouldn't have gotten the 2007.
I called another dealership in Houston and they told me out of 40 or so 2007 Mini they had sold only 2 had the problem I have.
I trust Keith my saleman but I do not trust the service advisor named Brian for he did not even call me today to let me know that they had changed their mind about totally reprograming my car. I left him a total of 4 ways to get a hold of me. There is no excuse for how he has been handling this matter. Now Keith is saying something that they may not be able to trade because of trade law or something like that. Maybe I misunderstood him on that one. Like I told him I got a car that barely a week old I have the car in my procession a total of 3 days at the most. To me if they can't get the service engine light off then trade out the car. Its that simple for like I said I am not asking for my money back.

Last edited by Cooper LOVER; 04-23-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:13 PM
minimaximini
3rd Gear
See this thread...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=96609

...and realize that there is no cure yet for the dreaded "check engine light". Mine popped up for th ethird time tonight - and will go to the dealer tomorrow (a total of 13 days in the last 60 days the car was in service for this problem). Reprogramming did NOT help (or it did - but just temporarely).

MMM

(for now I keep track of at least 8 cars with this symptom. Meanwhile - keep track of the days and times you g o with the car to the dealer - it varies from state to state how soon you can apply for Lemon Law). But read the other threads too. There is a VERY limited number of cars that hav ethis problem, MINI is aware of it and cannot supply yet a viable solution. Software update was done twice on my car but it kept on showing up after software upgrade too.

Check also:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=94694

Old 04-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Cooper LOVER
1st Gear
Where do I look up information on the lemon law.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 PM
minimaximini
3rd Gear
Here and Google

There is a "Lemoned in NY" thread (with the same issue as yours/mine).

use Google with "lemon law" and your state (each state has its own laws).

Basically you have to have 4 presentations to the dealer with the same issue over 18 months or 30 working days in the service, before you can apply for Lemon Law (each state is different - that is how it is mine).

Calm down (i know - hard to say it) and just... wait. And know your rights (you signed a paper with lemon law when you purchased the car - I think - at the dealer). Review your loan terms. Then go to the dealer and get the car fixed but ... you will have to abide by the law. And that is... you cannot send the car back (probably), unless the dealer is not providing reasonable service. And he will have to try to fix it.

Now - that you live 100 miles away from the dealer... that is another issue. You knew that before you bought the car, so that is it.

Know the law, give them the chance of fixing it. It might be Ok. If it is not - apply the law. But you cannot do it before what the law requires.

Yes - I am equally frustrated (if not worse). But my dealer was reasonable until now - provided all the support needed and did whatever MINI told him to. NOt perfect - but satisfactory.

MMM

Old 04-23-2007, 09:56 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Are MCS's have the same problem?