R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Question about programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about programming

I know you can program preferences by pressing the "ON/OFF" button with your foot off the clutch (or brake for automatics) to get to the radio ready mode. But are there other preferences that you can only program with the car running? Or can you program everything in the radio ready mode?

Last edited by Rennie; 04-22-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Loui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what you are asking, but the radio/cd/IPod/are programmed through the radio interface. Functions like running lights/locking are through the left hand column stalk. These require you to have your car running. In their wisdom MINI has spread the directions throughout the operators manual.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Loui
Not sure what you are asking, but the radio/cd/IPod/are programmed through the radio interface. Functions like running lights/locking are through the left hand column stalk. These require you to have your car running. In their wisdom MINI has spread the directions throughout the operators manual.
Thanks, Loui. I was asking about the DRL's/locking/and 3 blink turn signal programming through the left hand column stalk. You've answered my question that the car has to be running to program these. Thank you.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rennie
I was asking about the ... 3 blink turn signal programming through the left hand column stalk.
That is programmed through the "home" button and the Mini joystick by the gear shifter. From there you go to "Setup," "Settings," "Vehicle and tires" and "Lighting." There, you can switch on the triple turn signal and also program the car for daytime running lights, if desired.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
That is programmed through the "home" button and the Mini joystick by the gear shifter. From there you go to "Setup," "Settings," "Vehicle and tires" and "Lighting." There, you can switch on the triple turn signal and also program the car for daytime running lights, if desired.
Okay, now I'm confused. :impatient I thought this is programmed by the the left hand stalk. You press until you see "Set/Info", and hold until display changes and so on until you get to the two arrow symbol when you press and hold until "1X" "2X" or "3X" appears and you select which one you want. I totally am not familiar with the method you posted. Is that in the 2007 manual?

Old 04-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rennie
Okay, now I'm confused. :impatient I thought this is programmed by the the left hand stalk. You press until you see "Set/Info", and hold until display changes and so on until you get to the two arrow symbol when you press and hold until "1X" "2X" or "3X" appears and you select which one you want. I totally am not familiar with the method you posted. Is that in the 2007 manual?
I hear you about the confusion. I've had a lot of that myself. In answering for you again and checking both the manual I received from the dealer and the one I downloaded from the OL, I now believe the method I described is only for cars that have the satellite navigation. Which mine does.

In my hard copy manual, the instructions I provided previously appear at the end of Page 46 and the beginning of Page 47. The online version shows only the instructions for the left hand stalk. It's located on page 40 of that manual.

By either method, though, the only choices are one or three flashes of the turn signals. No middle ground or the opportunity for dialing in a larger number.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Thank you, Sowellman, for clearing that up (plus the part about only being able to program 1 or 3 blinks). I don't have the Navigation system so I would use the left hand stalk. Feel better now.

Last edited by Rennie; 04-22-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Loui
4th Gear
Go to Page 39 in the Owners Manual "using turn signals." Start your car after inserting key fob. [COLOR="Red"]The remaining directions carry over on Page 40. MINI should rewrite some of the sections and give MAs additional training. Programming integrated radio and other features are too complex.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Loui
Go to Page 39 in the Owners Manual "using turn signals." Start your car after inserting key fob. [color="Red"]The remaining directions carry over on Page 40. MINI should rewrite some of the sections and give MAs additional training. Programming integrated radio and other features are too complex.
Thanks, Loui, I'm all set now that I know the car needs to be running to program the turn signals to 3 blinks (plus the DRL's and automatic locking).

Old 04-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Loui
4th Gear
I think that I said "too complex." I would like to amend that to "non intuitive." I have all the programing of IPod worked out along with column stalk. It took me several trys.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 PM
dneal
4th Gear
The car does not need to be running. I programmed everything on mine with the engine off.

The ignition needs to be on. Insert your key, and without pressing the clutch or brake, press the start/stop switch. You'll see the fuel guage, warning lights, etc... come on. You can then program to your heart's content.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Rennie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dneal
The car does not need to be running. I programmed everything on mine with the engine off.

The ignition needs to be on. Insert your key, and without pressing the clutch or brake, press the start/stop switch. You'll see the fuel guage, warning lights, etc... come on. You can then program to your heart's content.
Okay, this was what I was asking from the start. Thanks, dneal. Edited to add: I just programmed my DRL's, blinker and central locking system with the ignition on but the engine not running. Thanks again, dneal.

Last edited by Rennie; 04-23-2007 at 10:45 AM.