R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 EURO style license plates legal in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:59 AM
MotorManiac
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bgdc
Take it as you like. I'm not fond of people adding cosmetic mods and find it to be a very Orange County/East San Diego thing to do to a car. Euro-plates are the equivalent of "Powered by VTEC" stickers in my eyes.
OK, I don't get it.. whats wrong with Orange country/east san diego??

and VTEC stickers?? Am I not cool enough to be in this club or something?

Screw it! I'm going to move to orange county, buy a euro plate, slap that baby on the front of my car, and then put a VTEC sticker on... someones Honda!

And just in case someone asks.. I am ALWAYS the pot, never the kettle!

Old 07-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Ed.A
3rd Gear
Take it as you like.
I like the fact that you have an opinion.

I'm not fond of people adding cosmetic mods and find it to be a very Orange County/East San Diego thing to do to a car. Euro-plates are the equivalent of "Powered by VTEC" stickers in my eyes.
Never been to Orange/East Diego...Corona I've been to....it stunk to high heaven the whole time I was there, (huge cattle farms bunched up in urban areas with dry dead air = not good combo) couldn't wait to get back east. I have no plans to go back to the Left coast, ever. Don't own a Vtec, and don't really remember seeing the labels you refer to.

As far as not putting cosmetic items on, hey to each his own, but I'm not going to insult you about it (although you did a good job on me) your a purist fine. I get mad at people who put SS badges on 307cu.in Chevelles.

I will bet there are a lot of Vendors here who like doing business with people who happen to like to "cheapen" their Mini with goods purchased via this board.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
haha well i had a euro plate, and it looked really nice. but then i got a ticket for speeding, license plate, as well as tints. It was only 10 bucks tfor the fix it ticket.

(removed the euro plate, put the original one back on showed it to them and them), and then on the way back i took of my license plate, and did viper stripes :P (covered the drilled holes) (been driving with no front license plate for few months now, no problems.

usually cops won't pull you over for euro plate, license (from where I'm from OC/LA), (unless they're feeling in the mood to ENFORCE THE LAW!!), usually it's because of something else (speeding, running a light, etc. etc.)

so now i'm thinking about getting a tow hook for my CA license, and then putting my euro plate on the middle of the front bumper...
but i think that if you have it on the tow hook it wont be able to fit the euro license plate in the middle. of the bumper.. or at least it will look weird.

anyone have a pic of US license plate as well as euro plate on the front?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:42 PM
OrionLTD
3rd Gear
I don't have a picture but the Tow Hook plate holder works fine with a center mounted euro plate already installed. One does not overlap the other. Besides, the center mounted euro plate looks great!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Like many have said, they are not legal in CA.

I had a front Euro plate on my R53 and was pulled over because of it in CA. I'm from AZ though, and the car was registered in AZ with an AZ rear plate (only plate required there).

The cop was on a power trip and tried to tell me that I needed to get California license plates in the front and rear and a california drivers license. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got a GB plate on the front of my S. I happen to think that (any) license plates on the front are crummy, but since I've already got holes on the front of my car, I'd might as well put something on to hide them.

I think US plates look like a big buck tooth on the front of most vehicles, while the Euro plates look more sleek and fit the MINIs lines a lot better. Call me a poser, or whatever you like. It's my car, and I'll do whatever I want to it. Some of us just want to "youify" our cars, and I don't think a Euro plate on a Euro car is tacky like a VTEC sticker on a non-VTEC Honda...

If we were given the option to have either US or Euro size plates (legally), I'd be more than happy to spend the slight premium to mount the Euro-sized plates to my car. I'm sure others on here would feel the same way. I'd rather not break the law if I don't have to, after all!

Australia and New Zealand have started offering Euro-style plates (for a slight fee) because of popular demand. We've got a million different styles of vanity plates in the US, but we still aren't given the choice of what size plate we want. It can't be THAT hard to give us this option.

One last side note - my local enforcement doesn't seem to care about having a missing front plate (most vehicles here are missing them), nor do they seem to care about my GB plate. However, I mount my AK plate to the front of my car when I bring it off-island to other parts of Alaska. They seem to enforce the front tag law quite heavily on mainland Alaska.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:35 PM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Like many have said, they are not legal in CA.

I had a front Euro plate on my R53 and was pulled over because of it in CA. I'm from AZ though, and the car was registered in AZ with an AZ rear plate (only plate required there).

The cop was on a power trip and tried to tell me that I needed to get California license plates in the front and rear and a california drivers license. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
haha sorry to hear, yeah thought know that they are illegal but was going to put both license plate on the front. euro in the middle, and california on the tow hook but i have a feeling they're goin to overlap (even though somebody said that they don't... :P)

Old 09-07-2008, 01:09 PM
georgetown59
1st Gear
Ed.A, Where did you get your european plate and frame? Is that frame chrome? The combo looks great!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Ed.A
3rd Gear
Thanks, I got it here, http://www.licenseplates.tv/cat/euro...7b633baa364398
We get compliments from people all over, some thought it was an offical state vanity plate because of the CT state logo. The frame is black, not chrome, but I believe you can order that as well.
Random spot check and the Police never said a thing.