R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Week 18 Production Group (April 30)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
AnyMiniMineyMo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Week 18 Production Group (April 30)

I just ordered my first MINI Cooper!

Pepper White/Black Roof
Checkered Cloth Sport Seats
Fluid Silver Interior Surface
Chrome Line Interior
10 Speaker HiFi Audio
Premium and Cold Weather Packages
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
Rear Spoiler
Front and Rear Foglights
White Turn Signals
All Season Tires (non-run-flats)

Dealer Accessories:

Sports Stripes
IPod Interface
Rubber Mats
Bumper Protection
Checkerboard Valve Stem Caps
Glove Box Organizer
Stainless Steel Pedal Covers
Boot Box

It's scheduled to go into production Week 18 (April 30). If you too have a Week 18 MINI Cooper (or MCS) on order, sound off!

Last edited by AnyMiniMineyMo; 05-05-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:17 PM
5280mcs
1st Gear
Yep, that's me too as I was told that mine would be production week 18 and the date given was May 7, but I didn't know if that meant start or finish on May 7?

Pepper white on black will look great. Love that color combo.

This will be the first Mini for me too.

Cheers!!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:33 PM
AnyMiniMineyMo
2nd Gear
Congrats!

Originally Posted by 5280mcs
This will be the first Mini for me too.
Congrats!

After months of pondering all the options, it's great to finally have the order done and the car on the way. My MA said that it could be here as early as the end of May/beginning of June. That seems really quick!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
lucyl
2nd Gear
I'm not sure what production week i'm on. On OL its says my car is still on order. Will it say later? Or should I asked my MA?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 AM
iDriveS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AnyMiniMineyMo
My MA said that it could be here as early as the end of May/beginning of June. That seems really quick!
You say that now...

After two weeks of waiting for my car I couldn't believe it had only been a couple weeks. I felt like I had been waiting an eternity already.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:51 AM
sbutler20
2nd Gear
I'm in

Congrats! I am hoping it should be here in early June if all goes well. I spoke with Ask-Mini and was told the production should be complete tomorrow.

MCS AB/White
Prem, Sport, Cold
Arm rest
Hi-Fi
Tuscan Leather

Can't wait for it to get here.

What cars did you all trade/sell for the Mini?
Me: BMW 323ci w/sport, a very fun car but I'm sure this will be more fun!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:35 PM
sbutler20
2nd Gear
I was wrong, I think I'm in week 17, as I just call Ask-mini and my vehicle was released for shipping today...Sorry wrong week.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:15 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear

Last edited by mufflethis; 02-04-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
Hi all,
I'm getting slightly schizoid info from the fine folks at 866-ask-mini but I am quite possibly (and hopefully) a week 18'er! Either that or I'm in mufflethis's camp. Now without further ado, my Mini:

LB/B MCS
LSD
Xenons
MFSW
Center arm rest
White turn signals
Bridge Spokes

Originally Posted by lucyl
I'm not sure what production week i'm on. On OL its says my car is still on order. Will it say later? Or should I asked my MA?
Give the number above a call and have your production order number handy. Ask to speak to a live rep and he/she will be able to tell you the expected production date.

Last edited by ygblat; 04-27-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:44 AM
speck37
1st Gear
I'm also week 18. Just spoke to ask mini and they say it will be in production this saturday, finished by Wednesday! Good thing too, I kept adding new things to the order

DS/B, black stripes, 17" web spokes, Sports pack, premium pack, cold weather, Nav, comfort access, bluetooth prep, black lounge leather, Sports Suspension, anthracite headliner, wood dash, gray color line and hifi upgrade. My MA talked me out of the limited slip, said I would never notice the difference...

Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 AM
5280mcs
1st Gear
speck37 - Thanks for that information on production starting this Saturday, which is sooner than i was thinking it would be.

Any ideas on time between the finished Mini to sailing away?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 PM
speck37
1st Gear
speck37 - Thanks for that information on production starting this Saturday, which is sooner than i was thinking it would be.

Thanks
I think that everyone within the production week starts on different days. I can't remember how long it was between finishing and sailing on my last MINI, but my MA said it should arrive around the last week of May, first week of June. The lease on my brg Cooper isn't up until mid-july, so I'm not sure yet if I'm going to let my new S sit at the dealer all that time, or end my lease early (which will mean I'm paying two leases for a month

Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
ygblat
4th Gear

Thanks
Called askmini today and was told that, after the build is finished:
3-7 days to get to the ship
2 weeks to the East Coast, 2.5 to the West Coast
1-2 weeks for VDC inspection, getting to dealership, and dealer prep

So 4-5 weeks, assuming everything goes as planned

Old 04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
vodkarocket
1st Gear
Originally Posted by speck37
I'm also week 18. Just spoke to ask mini and they say it will be in production this saturday, finished by Wednesday! Good thing too, I kept adding new things to the order

DS/B, black stripes, 17" web spokes, Sports pack, premium pack, cold weather, Nav, comfort access, bluetooth prep, black lounge leather, Sports Suspension, anthracite headliner, wood dash, gray color line and hifi upgrade. My MA talked me out of the limited slip, said I would never notice the difference...
Never notice? Perhaps if you're using the car simply as a commuter you'll never notice. I think an LSD is a necessity in any performance-oriented vehicle. Maybe you dealt with the same MA that ygblat had (either that or there's some serious misinformation in the training manuals administered to the MA's) - he tried to convince him that he'd never feel the LSD working. 2 minutes into the test drive he took quick 90 degree left hand turn and sure enough, the LSD kept the inside wheel spinning in perfect harmony with the outside wheel. What an anomaly!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM
speck37
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Never notice? Perhaps if you're using the car simply as a commuter you'll never notice. I think an LSD is a necessity in any performance-oriented vehicle. Maybe you dealt with the same MA that ygblat had (either that or there's some serious misinformation in the training manuals administered to the MA's) - he tried to convince him that he'd never feel the LSD working. 2 minutes into the test drive he took quick 90 degree left hand turn and sure enough, the LSD kept the inside wheel spinning in perfect harmony with the outside wheel. What an anomaly!
I had it on my order but then took it off based on his reco. I guess I won't miss it if I never had it. My Cooper didn't have it and its a blast to drive. A new S should be a double blast. My MA did take me on a very "spirited" test drive to show me the difference and honestly, when he did get it to kick in he was taking the turn at a rate that I would call "not too bright" driving, past my comfort level anyway.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:31 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
I had it on my order but then took it off based on his reco. I guess I won't miss it if I never had it. My Cooper didn't have it and its a blast to drive. A new S should be a double blast. My MA did take me on a very "spirited" test drive to show me the difference and honestly, when he did get it to kick in he was taking the turn at a rate that I would call "not too bright" driving, past my comfort level anyway.

I'm sure that your MCS will be an amazing ride and, perhaps, you will not miss the LSD based on your driving preferences but driving at 7/10ths I literally felt the diff manage wheelspin during turn-in. With the relatively high HP, low weight, and front wheel drive, the LSD seemed like the 'must have' option on the spec sheet. But then again, I'm none too bright when it comes to driving style

Edit: woot woot! Hundredth post!

Last edited by ygblat; 04-26-2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: self-gratification
Old 04-26-2007, 11:37 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
Counterpoint:

There have been several reports of LSD-related transmission problems on MCS's so not having one may pay dividends when it comes down to your relationship with your service manager. Enjoy your MCS, speck37; LSD or no, it will be a blast and a half to drive!

Old 04-27-2007, 08:20 AM
speck37
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ygblat
Counterpoint:

There have been several reports of LSD-related transmission problems on MCS's so not having one may pay dividends when it comes down to your relationship with your service manager. Enjoy your MCS, speck37; LSD or no, it will be a blast and a half to drive!
Its too late for me, found out its rolling throught the plant today! With a little push, I probably would have added it. That's how I ended up with Comfort Access. What Does LSD really do for you? When you're in a turn, does it help to pull you through, create more of a whip sensation?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:58 AM
AstroCoop
2nd Gear
I'm not 100% sure what week I am. Online it tells me that I'm still "on order" so after about two weeks of this (and much stress) I called a number I saw on here ealier...1(866)ASK-MINI. Once you call that ask to speak to a customer service rep. and they can tell you exactly where your car is in the shop. Come to find out mine is almost out of there!!! (I guess I need to hurry and sell my current car because the Mini is coming weeks sonner than I thought)

Old 04-27-2007, 09:45 AM
binkysmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AstroCoop
I guess I need to hurry and sell my current car ...)
Anybody know someone who wants to buy a grocery getter/station wagon/hearse?

Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 PM
ygblat
4th Gear
Its too late for me, found out its rolling throught the plant today! With a little push, I probably would have added it. That's how I ended up with Comfort Access. What Does LSD really do for you? When you're in a turn, does it help to pull you through, create more of a whip sensation?
[takes a deep breath...]

Without going into any technical detail, a limited slip differential is a mechanical device positioned between the transmisison and wheels of a car (in a Mini it is just aft of the transmission). There are several types of limited slip differentials but while they perform their functions in different ways, the end results wind up being pretty similar. In a conventional car, which has an open differential (unlimited slip), power is transferred to the wheel that spins the fastest. If you have ever seen a car that was stuck in the mud furiously spin one wheel, this is why. On a car with an LSD, power is transferred to the wheel that has the most grip (the one that is spinning more slowly) and the device attempts to keep both drive wheels turning at the same rate of speed.

Real-life benefits: imagine taking a turn and giving the car a fair amount of gas while turning. With an open diff, you will furiously spin the inside front tire; it has the least grip and loses traction first and the open diff, being none too smart, sends even more power its way, causing it to spin even more and perpetuating this process until you get off the throttle or straighten out. LSD-equipped cars will not spin the inside wheel because power will be managed to account for available grip. Because of this, you will be able to apply more throttle earlier and put more power down through the turn, increasing your exit speed.

Keep in mind, however, that you really do need to be driving pretty hard to reap any benefits from an LSD since for it to kick in, one of your wheels has to be losing grip from a combination of steering and throttle input. The only tangible effect in city driving is decreased torque steer and your DSC will be able to compensate for some of the LSD's functions electronically rather than mechanically. For example, when DSC senses a wheel losing traction, it will cut power to that wheel (but not compensate by shifting that power to the wheel that has traction).

Hope that helps

Last edited by ygblat; 04-27-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 AM
ygblat
4th Gear
Got my VIN today from the OL! In what stage of production is everyone?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:11 PM
AnyMiniMineyMo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ygblat
Got my VIN today from the OL! In what stage of production is everyone?
I got mine too (yesterday, on the 29th). According to my MA, my estimated "born on" date is May 8th. So, even though I started this Week 18 thread, I may actually be Week 19. I'll wait for confirmation before starting a new thread.

Last edited by AnyMiniMineyMo; 04-30-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear

Last edited by mufflethis; 02-04-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
speck37
1st Gear
I'm scheduled for the 3rd as well! Psych!

Quick Reply: R56 R56 Week 18 Production Group (April 30)