R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I must be getting old -- chose MC over MCS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:45 PM
MINI Jackpot
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flav
if you get the cooper you might find yourself wishing you got the S "i did in 2005". but if you get the S i can guarentee you won't be wondering if you should have gotten the cooper. get the S.
I got the S because that's about the first thing I get asked...'did you get the S model??'. I didn't want to say no. Same reason I didn't get an automatic. I didn't want to say no I didn't get the 6spd, it's an automatic...

That said, I think the MC would probably have been a more prudent choice for the type of driving I/we do...

...but we didn't get a MINI to be prudent!!

John

Old 04-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
And besides, you cannot get Nightfire Red on an MCS,..neener-neener-neener!!
Ummm, you can't get Nightfire Red on an MC, either. At least I haven't seen the evidence yet.

Soon, though.

I've found that my MC is pretty peppy enough. Years ago, when I had an old Dukes of Hazard 1969 Charger, I never found I wanted the 440 Hemi instead of the 318 it came with.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
Maybe you're just getting wiser.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:12 AM
WinneMini
2nd Gear
I am so glad someone started a thread in salute of the MC (not S)! For some of us it is the right choice. By putting a 6-speed in the Cooper I've got tons of driving I feel like I control, great mileage, a comfortable daily driver, and a grin as big as ever. I can't wait to get over the 1200 mile break in period and not worry about that 4500 rpm business all the time. (I just hope the left leg and its parts hold out for the next 10 years so I can shift it!---I had nightmares about THAT!) I'm 52.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:37 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
It's not the age, its the miles.

As I cannot stand avocado, I had to get an MC. Anything that looks like it was in one of my kids diapers at one time or another has been off my diet for many years now.
In that case, you should be dead.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I am too self-absorbed to allow death to remove the oppertunity of whineage!

Old 04-26-2007, 06:26 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had several people, when I told them I ordered another MINI, ask me "So, did you get the S???" Funny...each of them had a slightly crazed look in their eye when they said it.

I simply said "no". I've given up trying to explain why I prefer Coopers...that slightly crazed look makes me think they wouldn't understand even if I did. Coopers rock...end of story. Fortunately, a good number of NAMies have figured this out...the masses are still a bit clueless.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:36 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Welcome to the board. I'm a Justacooper fan as well. I had a chance to get an S for my second MINI, but I love the MC so much that I went with it instead.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 AM
clubspec330i
2nd Gear
Congratulation on your new MC..

You guys crack me up...I thought I was old at 30 years young..

Post the picture would ya..

Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I've got the MCS with stiff suspension and loud supercharger, etc etc. When it came time for my wife to get a new car and she wanted a MINI, she chose an automatic Cooper. Her MINI is MUCH more pleasant to drive and ride in, and we take it on all of our long trips.

So I've got the best of both worlds, but admit that I love her Cooper as much as I do my MCS.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 AM
PhishyBrewer
1st Gear
No regrets with my first Mini purchase. I bought the MC because I wanted better gas mileage. I drive 100 miles a day to and from work. But next time it's JCW or nothing!!! I'll work as much overtime to pay for extra gas. As long as I enjoy my ride. And it's not like I've been conserving gas anyway... the MC is ALWAYS in sport mode.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
srfrman7
3rd Gear
So, how is the 6 speed MC? Is it really quick? I haven't driven it yet... maybe i'll go to the dealership to test drive one.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by srfrman7
So, how is the 6 speed MC? Is it really quick? I haven't driven it yet... maybe i'll go to the dealership to test drive one.
I like it. It seems much more responsive off the blocks than the Honda Civic I came from. I liked that car, too, but I've been impressed with the Mini gearbox.

Is it fast? Well, all I can say is that the factory set the "going too fast" alarm at 150 mph.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 PM
fbox
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by remphoto
Yesterday my wife and I bought an '07 MC 6spd
Congrats! I recently purchased my first MINI, too -- an '07 MC (Auto) -- and I'm absolutely loving it.

I dropped from having 305HP in my previous ride to the 120HP in the MINI and, ya know what? I don't miss the old V8 a bit. Nor do I miss the 13mpg.

Instead, I've got a thoroughly enjoyable, great-handling, super comfortable Cooper that easily tops 30mpg around town.

I love it.

And as for an 'S'? Well, I'm sure they're amazing, but they're not for me. Not yet anyway.

Enjoy your MC.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:17 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Certain enthusiasts will definitely benefit from power offered the R56 MCS, but I think a great number of folks will simply go for the "sell-up" when a Cooper would suit them just fine. The MCS is a bit of a different beast than R53...I hope more people will opt for Coopers and leave the MCSs to the folks who will appreciate them. Me? When I get the MCS into the realm where it really shines I guarantee am breaking a law...either real or implied.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If gas prices keep climbing & they will. I may find myself in a Cooper & not a MCS. Top end & 1/4 mile times mean little to me. For me it's about quickness, but mostly handling. Now that the Cooper comes with a 6 speed it has me thinking.

I love my R53 with its mods, but the gas pains are really getting to me.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM
remphoto
3rd Gear
Gas Mileage Experience

We got 36.2 mpg on the first tank according to OBC (new o7 MC 6 speed). This was a mix of highway and around town on midtest fuel.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 PM
muse photos
2nd Gear
ehhhhh i am 30 and i got the mini cooper over the s because at 3 dollars a gallon a little extra pick me up is ummm JUST NOT WORTH IT....besides all that up and down and shifting is annoyign as hell...i like to feel like i am gliding....its a matter of taste. i am not trying to run a race especially with the traffic in miami...(pointless)

Old 05-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Damon007
1st Gear
I am leaning towards the Oxygen Blue MC as my very first Mini. If I like the car I guess I will "upgrade" to a MCSC in a few years. That's my current plan but I have always been very indecisive and The Mini Coopers is making me more-so. Just picking the color is driving me crazy.

There is a old timer here where I am living he has a White MC , he must be close to 80 years old. He loves his Cooper and that was one reason I ditched my 2001 Honda Prelude that I have had for 6 years to buy a Mini.
BTW I will be 44 when I get my Mini.

So I guess Mini makes you feel younger.

I am 16 all over again Woo Hoo !

Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
jefflaw
2nd Gear
I'll be hitting 50 this year & don't regret getting "only" a Cooper. My driving is split 50/50 city to h'way and have been averaging about 35 mpg. As a rule I'm not an aggressive dirver, yet, when the spirit or need arises, I find my car has plenty of power. Since I've only had my car since Feb., perhaps I'll change my mind in the future and opt for an S, but for now I have no regrets.
In the August 2003 issue of Road & Track, after driving both versions of the MINI, Peter Egan wrote regarding the Cooper: "Nice car, and in some ways I liked it better than the S model, just because you have to work a little harder to go fast. Simpler styling, too, more like the old Mini."
Perhaps us geezers are willing to work a little harder v. the youth who want the easy way?
Jeff
"Dorothy" 06 MC BRG/W

Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
doodlez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jefflaw
Perhaps us geezers are willing to work a little harder v. the youth who want the easy way?
Hey, I'm a young'n (27) who likes to "go fast" and I love my plain ol' Cooper to bits! The thing I like the best is "working" to make it go fast, because I feel like I have perfect control over what it's doing. And for driving on public roads, it's more than enough to have a some good legal fun, and also all too easy get in trouble as well. My MC doubles as draily driver and fun car (all the time fun car!), so it's the perfect balance of everything I want and everything I need!

PS - I also really like the gas mileage!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
remphoto
3rd Gear
I have to tell you that after driving my friend's 2006 MCS(a) this past weekend, I'm not so sure I did the right thing getting a new MC. When test driving the MC and MCS I was confined mostly to city streets and the supension was pretty rough on the MCS. When driving his car I was out on I-270 in Columbus and the MCS was nice, firm and controlled; but not harsh. When I hit the exit ramp it was much flatter and better controlled than my new MC (though it is pretty good, too). The kicker was when I ran it through the gears, the supercharger screamed like a banshee and the MCS literally flew. Of course the scream is MIA on the new turbocharged MCS.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Tableleg
1st Gear
I didn't even test drive a MC. This 20something decided that bigger numbers was better and so that's what he wanted.

Perhaps there's something to he aged wisdom.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 AM
dwjj
6th Gear
The configurator lets you get Hypersport on an MC. I hadn't thought that was going to work so hadn't tried. Hmmm... all the handling, a little less HP but better mileage. Might not be a bad tradeoff.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:27 AM
srfrman7
3rd Gear
So, how does everyone like the manual MC compared to the MCS?

Quick Reply: R56 I must be getting old -- chose MC over MCS